why is this not working for me!

Options
I was on a weight loss program, Quick Weight Loss. I lost just about 20lbs, nothing to cheer about when I see the success of other members. I have hypoglycemia and very low blood pressure to boot. That is why I choose to join a program, to teach me what I didn't know. So, I lose the weight, change my habits. I eat every 2-3 hours because of my sugar/insuline issues. I was told that MFP will help me maintain my weight, my sugar intake and it's spikes. The first week was great, I tried different foods, I limited myself to few treats (not sugar treats). Now, I am up 3lbs in 3 days, I am working out 4-5 times a week mostly cardio with 2 days of weights. My calories are 1200 and I eat my workout calories and drink 3-4 liters of water a day.
How is it that I am up 3lbs in 3 days?

Replies

• gemini53
    gemini53 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough protein? I find I lose weight when i hit my protein goal
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We all fluctuate in weight from day to day....you could be retaining water or something. My suggestion is not to freak out just yet, keep cool and reweigh in a few days....I bet you those extra pounds are really just an anomaly.
  • mommyof2kids
    mommyof2kids Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    are you eating salty foods maybe you gained water weight. and try weighing yourself first think in the morning.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    That's a good question that I wish I could answer for you! The only thing I can think of is that you're carrying around some water weight...how's your sodium intake? I know if it's higher then it should be that you will "gain" temporary weight.
  • staceybyerly
    Options
    Make sure you are writing everything down. Also, you may have water weight for a few days, but then lose. Are you taking in enough calories?
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    When I see 3 lbs in three days it means one thing for me. Period coming. maybe check a calendar and see where you fall. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't just a thought and it certainly applies to me. Good luck
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    3 days is really not a long enough sample. How about you give it 3 weeks. Also how much sleep are you getting at night. Rest is key. 1200 calories seems pretty low if you are working out. What are your goals? I would not weigh in but maybe once per week. Let your clothes tell you how you are doing. Do your pants feel looser/ more loose? Everyone gets carried away with the scale. Keep it up and don't get discouraged.
  • Sarah_B_Harris
    Options
    I have always heard that muscle weighs more than fat. Have you notices that you are more toned lately? Have you been taking you measurements? I bet you are losing inches and not so much weight. Also, I can tell the way my clothing fits as well. Dont give up, ok? :o) You have so much support here! Just keep posting!
  • Ria619
    Ria619 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    my salt intake is a littler higher than it should be, i my blood preasure is to low not to have it added, thats my doctors prescription. I eat pleanty of protien and not much in the way of carbs, fruit before 6pm and i track all i eat. Everyone is really great in trying to help me!!! thanks
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories a day? That could be the problem right there. You can do that for one week and loose weight, the brazil butt lift and other programs tell ppl to follow a 6 day max. weightloss plan to help cleanse the body bull****. Anyways, if you are not eatin enough calories you can throw your body into all kinds of flucuations especially if you are workin out. Don't be afraid to eat a lil extra. Why do ppl do that to themselves? I can eat as much as 2600 calories a day when I workout 2 hours a day and never gain an ounce. 1200 calories is starvin yourself!
  • MamaMcGreevy
    MamaMcGreevy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you had gained 3 lb over a week or two and it was steady gain, i would be more concerned that you were on the wrong track with your diet. However, 3 lb in 3 days can easily be water fluctuation. I vary by 5 pounds or more during my cycle and the variations happen quickly. Look for longer trends before you decide your diet isn't working and don't look for quick drops if you are trying to make a permanent change.
    Best o luck!
  • charlottes_mom
    Options
    A couple of things, and these are just ideas...

a) what gemini53 said - you need to make sure you are getting enough protein.
    b) how much water are you taking in? Your goal should be 1/2 your weight, in ounces. If you weigh 200 lbs (like I do), you would drink 100 ounces. Part of that should be 8 oz after each meal (about 15 minutes). Another 8 oz when you first feel hungry, then eat about 15 minutes after that.
    c) increase your caloric intake - if you are active, 1,200 isn't going to cut it. Take your weight, times it by 13 (if sedentary), 14 (if mildy active) or 15 (if active). That number is the amount of calories you need to MAINTAIN the weight you are currently. Take that and times it by .80 - that is the amount of calories you need to lose (it's your calories, less 20%). It is higher than most people think. The trouble is, if you eat too FEW calories, your body will panic and store what you eat, instead of burning it off.

In summary, you need to drink water - enough water that your body doesn't worry when it's next drink is coming. When you start drinking enough, the body relaxes and gets rid of all the extra fluid. Same thing with food - you give your body enough, it doesn't worry about it's next meal - your metabolism will go up, and you'll burn more.

I hope this helps - this is what I am studying, so thank you for letting me post!
  • vsangel87
    vsangel87 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    3 days is really not a long enough sample. How about you give it 3 weeks. Also how much sleep are you getting at night. Rest is key. 1200 calories seems pretty low if you are working out. What are your goals? I would not weigh in but maybe once per week. Let your clothes tell you how you are doing. Do your pants feel looser/ more loose? Everyone gets carried away with the scale. Keep it up and don't get discouraged.

I totally agree with you...1200 calories does seem to be wayyy to few if you are working out. You might be getting less than 1200 calories a day which definitely makes it difficult to lose any weight and MFP even stresses that fact. Maybe try to increase your caloric intake a little...that might help.
  • Ria619
    Ria619 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the information, all of you have given me great info. I will keep posting, all the feedback is wonderful!
  • Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I used Quick Weight loss centers, and although you are eating healthy food on the diet, it is a starvation diet... I stretched those calories as much as possible and still they always came well under 1,000 when I used a tool such as MFP to calculate. So you're body is probably just hanging onto the additional calories as a defense... I'm sure if you continue with your healthier choices and exercise program things will start to shift back into the preferred direction :smile:
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don'y weigh daily. There are many factores here. You will not lose weight quickly - if you are looking for that all you want is a fad diet. Eat sensibly within your calories, work out (remember as you gain muscle from working out, you will gain a little weight), and drinl plenty of water. Eating every few hours is good - we should all do that - it keeps the blood sugat steady and prevents the cravings. GIVE YOURSELF TIME! You didn't gain it overnight, you won't lose it overnight.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Ria, open up your food diary and let us see what you're eating.

I also have SEVERE hypoglycemia, and I'm doing pretty ok, please look at my food diary. I am not starving and I am losing weight. Please check out my food diary. I am eating more calories than you and I am losing weight.

I think you need more than 1200 calories per day. What is the daily recommended by this site? Re-do that. You WILL lose weight on this site....they have me scheduled for about 1680 cals but I usually eat about 1360 - 1550 per day and I have been losing weight....