HELP! My recovery depends on it!

Options
Hello,
I am 28 and a mother of 3. I have tried mfp plenty of times before, but it never stuck. Now I'm desperate and in need of losing the weight. My family was involved in a bad accident 4 months ago, and thank God we all made it out with minor injuries. Mine however have taken the longest to get better. I messed up my leg pretty bad and my therapist has said you could really benefit from some serious weight loss. It would help your recovery tremendously. Although I was slightly embarrassed he was right! I need the help and I don't know where to begin. I LOVE diet Pepsi and carbs! I could reall use some advice and help. Please add me if your just as serious as I am to shed this weight! ????????????

Replies

• MsChris808
    Options
    I am sending you peace and blessings and the willpower to loose weight. Quit drinkinking the pop it just makes you crave more to eat. I am always trying not to drink it. I am 3 weeks off it again.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You can enjoy your diet soda provided that it's not responsible for adherence problems to your diet.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You have to find that main motivation from inside yourself. What do you find motivates you? What made you fail the last time? If you are just going to keep drinking pop and eating tons of carbs, you have to seriously look at how you want to start this.

I LOVE MFP, but your recovery depends on you, and you alone.

Good luck!
  • jfbisbee
    jfbisbee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    you have to log everything that you eat.even if you eat 10000 calories extra for the day, log it. get some exercise if you can, but the most important thing is calories.between breakfast and lunch I try not to eat more than 500 calories, that way I can I have a pretty decent dinner.try to get
    a good mix of protein and carbs but I do find that vegetables have become my friends. :-)
  • aliciahiatt
    Options
    I found that after I got past the first 4 days of low carbs it was easier for me not to miss them so much. When I crave sweets...I eat fruit. Plums have been especially useful to me because they are relative low calorie. Also helps for me to consume 30 + grams of protein early in the morning (no or low carbs!) to help fill me up. Write down everything you put in your mouth! I also have to remember when if I don't loose this time...I am the one I am letting down! Good luck! :wink:
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I see you've lost one pound. This journey is one step at a time. Take it slowly. Keep logging in. Be honest with yourself. Be good to yourself.

You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Track everything....EVERYTHING...you eat. Don't beat yourself up when you realise that you have had a bad day - you will learn from it. If you are focused on a calorie goal for the day, when you make a habit of tracking everything you eat, you will naturally start to look for alternatives to the higher calorie foods.

I could eat this one salami and cheese sandwich, or I can trade out the salami for lean chicken, add in tomato, lettuce and cucumber, hold the butter. Now I can eat a bigger sandwich as well as have calories left over for a banana as well.

Move more. Just a little bit. Walk to the end of your street and back. Next time you walk, go to the end of your street and back, twice. You will surprise yourself at how fit you are becoming if you build up slowly.

You've got this!
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little more than 80lbs. It took me about a year 1/2 to do it but I believe anyone can do it. At first I didnt count any calories ect. I just found a workout plan that I could understand, that I did 4 days a week. Also, after my workout I would spend 20-30 minutes on either a treadmil or eliptical ect and made sure I pushed myself to exhaustion. I would only weigh myself on mondays and fridays. I have started counting calories for about the last 3 months just to see what im capable of but for me to lose the weight I just ate alot of protien, veggies and fruit with 1 cheat day. However, I would always go to the gym when I woke up on an empty stomach. I'm not sure how effective this is for everyone else but for me it seemed to help.
  • danielleespin
    danielleespin Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Motivation!!
    Watch youtube videos of people who have done it! Listen to motivational speeches etc whenever you feel yourself slipping. I'm almost 9wks into cutting MOST sugar out of my life and 7kgs down, I don't drink soft drinks - I used to have a can or two of cola every day - that was 2yrs ago, and I haven't touched one since. I find that when you stop eating all that processed stuff you don't crave it, and if you do it after being without it for a while, your body doesn't enjoy it and it lets you know it's unhappy! Upset stomach and gut - at least I find. I also drink 2lts of water every day :) Big dreams start off small, take small steps every day, cut out one spoon of sugar from your coffee today, two in two days time, buy smaller can of diet pepsi and each time you have one, add more time between your first one and then your second, change white bread to brown... exchange fattier meat for leaner meat - or switch to something healthier every second night etc - there are ways to improve! And it works. Talk to yourself, tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT. Look at your family, your children and tell yourself you want to be the BEST role model for them you can be :) When you have your WHY, you can do it. Sometimes the WHY fades, but you know exactly how to find it again, rewatch those motivational clips, look at your family, look at how FAR you've come and know you can't quite now! You can do it! :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HI! I just returned to MFP at the beginning of the month. I had lost 50 pounds here but I got complacent and gained back 20. My blood pressure was up as well. So I am back again to get to my goal once and for all!

As long as you are not diabetic, you don't really have to worry too much about carbs (I AM diabetic so I have to worry). Everything in moderation, even your soda. I drink diet Snapple...its my one vice. Cutting carbs WILL help you with weight loss but you don't have to be quite as extreme as I have to be...you are lucky. :)

One thing that has REALLY helped me is I no longer use a dinner plate. I use a salad sized plate for my meals. It reminds me to eat less AND what I do eat looks like more than it is.

Motivation comes from within...I am proof of that. I had over 100 MFP friends but no one can come to your house and take the food out of your mouth. However, health is a GREAT motivator...it was for me.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!