Not losing my belly...

Options
Ive been dieting and working out faithfully since June 1st. I eat fairly clean and work out five days a week. I have lost 20 lbs and dont want to lose any more weight. My issue is that I still have a huge gut! I know diet plays a huge roll in this but i dont understand why it is not going away...any help is appreciated!

Replies

• katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Could you be more specific? Have you taken measurements of your hips and waist?
  • karynimrie
    karynimrie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have and they are not changing......my butt and legs, arms are but not my stomach.....its soooo frustrating!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? What type (e.g., running, biking, swimming, lifting light weights, lifting heavy weights, etc.) and how much time (or reps/sets if you want to get that specific) do you spend doing it?
  • strong_er
    strong_er Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose more fat you will need to continue losing weight. You can't target where the fat comes off, that is more determined by genetics. For many people, belly is the first place it's stored and the last place it comes off.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is kinda like Shrinky Dinks (if you remember those). My pants were getting super baggy (yeah!) but the next sizes down I already had were not fitting…I lost in my thighs, calves and hips but not my stomach….they started fitting last week).

Keep moving forward, it takes time (especially if you don’t have a ton to lose).
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing fat. Are you doing any strength training? It can't hurt to strengthen your muscles, including your abs. Then when the fat comes off, you'll have a nice firm-looking middle.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've lost 11 lbs. in the past couple of months, but I am just now starting to fit into some pants in the next smaller size. (And not all; some are still too snug.) My belly hasn't gone away as much as I'd like, although it's definitely smaller. My upper torso has slimmed considerably, and I've bought smaller bras, but my belly is diminishing more slowly. I have about 12 lbs. to go.
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry - you are going to have to loose more weight. As others pointed out, you can't dictate where your body stores or releases fat from. If you still have visible fat to loose, I don't know why you don't want to loose more weight.

You won't end up with wasted-away stick legs and a normal stomach - your body will burn the fat as long as you exercise and get adequate protein and your stomach will go down - it will just be last if you're naturally more apple-shaped.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat.

Just keep on losing, your gut will go... just try not to focus on it; just have it as a target.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive been dieting and working out faithfully since June 1st. I eat fairly clean and work out five days a week. I have lost 20 lbs and dont want to lose any more weight. My issue is that I still have a huge gut! I know diet plays a huge roll in this but i dont understand why it is not going away...any help is appreciated!

20 lbs in 3 months is an average of 2 lbs a week, which is a pretty rapid pace, especially with a relatively small amount to lose. Did you do any strength training at all? The reason I ask is you might want to look into strength training and doing body recomposition. Your weight won't change much, if at all. You might even put on a lb or two, but your body will burn more fat that way.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am seriously in the exact same boat. I feel your pain. I am close to my ideal weight, but even when I get there, (because I have been there) i still look like I'm 6 months pregrnant. Even if the rest of me, looks super fit. Do you have children? I've had 2 c-sections, and before i had kids, when I was at this weight, I looked freaking awesome! I don't get it. I eat clean and work hard...I'm soooooo frustrated too!!!
  • karynimrie
    Options
    I do three 60 min zumba classes, an hour of yoga, a 60 minute high intensity skip box class and two nights i do 40 mins on the treadmill at low speed doing lunges at a 15 incline.

two days a week i also do an additional 40 mins of weights....i just started doing longer sets and higher intensity. I start of with the heaviest weight and lift until i cant any more....then i reduce the weight and keep going until i can any more.

I know to lose weight i need to do cardio which is why i choose the classes but should i be doing more weights instead? I need to find a balnce.
  • karynimrie
    Options
    I dont want to lose any more....Im 5'3 and 120 lbs now....im still eating healthy and maintaining the 1200 calories daily,,,i also eat my burned calories. Ive upped my protein intake but not sure what else to do?
  • karynimrie
    Options
    We are in the same boat....smaller bras yes and some tops that the arms were too tight are now fitting....smaller pant size yes BUT still a muffin top hanging over everything....its disgusting! im doing zumba and skip box classes and some weight training.....also on the treadmill i walk at the highest incline? Any suggestions?
  • karynimrie
    Options
    Do you know of a good program or should I just google??? AND Thanks for the advice :)
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I dont want to lose any more....Im 5'3 and 120 lbs now....im still eating healthy and maintaining the 1200 calories daily,,,i also eat my burned calories. Ive upped my protein intake but not sure what else to do?
    What does your waist actually measure? A lot of our perceptions about ourselves do not jive with reality. Example: A 4ft 300 lb woman stating that she is too thin and bony.
    We often judge ourselves more harshly than others.
  • PinupGirl13
    PinupGirl13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are including MUFAs at most meals Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids. Basically, you have to eat healthy dietary fats in order to lose belly fat. I especially like the flat belly diet cookbook for these recipes. It's important to include things like avocado, nuts, coconut oil etc. in moderation. Be careful of added sugar and simple carbohydrates. They can go straight to the middle. Lots of ab exercises will help. It helps release the fat from cardio faster. Hope this helps! The last time I lost my belly for a long period of time I did lots of pilates and walking. :)
  • karynimrie
    Options
    What does your waist actually measure? A lot of our perceptions about ourselves do not jive with reality. Example: A 4ft 300 lb woman stating that she is too thin and bony.
    We often judge ourselves more harshly than others.