Now I feel awkward...........

Options
I have a co worker that is always asking me for car rides and she doesn't live to far from me so I felt pressured to drive her home everytime I work with her.However, I don't really like giving rides.I would do it if its emergency but I hate when some people start expecting one as if they entitled.

I just find easier and relaxing to go alone than having someone in my space like that.We used to take a bus together before I had my car so it's not like she has no way to go home.I have tried giving excuses like not going home but then she would ask again the next time.So yesterday she asked me told her to stop asking me for rides and its her responsibility to provide her own transportion.

I now feel like horrible person but I didn't want to get resentful.Anyone ever delt with this issue?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    No, but that's because I do what you did right off the bat: set your boundaries and enforce them. Yes, initially it can be awkward, but you're right in taking steps so that you don't become resentful. It's your car and your life. Your choices and your decision. Don't feel badly. As far as I'm concerned you did the right thing!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've been a busy bee on the boards today, anyhoo, don't feel awkward, unless she was offering to chip in for gas, she was taking advantage. To ease your conscious, you can always offer her rides in bad weather or emergency situations, but otherwise let it go. I hate driving with other people, I can't listen to what I want because the other person wants to talk, I can't drive like I want, because apparently it's scary
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Its your prerogative. Your car. Cars aren't cheap and she's asking you to do her a favor. Is she offering you any gas money in exchange?
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Its your prerogative. Your car. Cars aren't cheap and she's asking you to do her a favor. Is she offering you any gas money in exchange?

Nope, she never offers gas money.Sometimes she would wait beside my car after work assuming she will get a lift
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been a busy bee on the boards today, anyhoo, don't feel awkward, unless she was offering to chip in for gas, she was taking advantage. To ease your conscious, you can always offer her rides in bad weather or emergency situations, but otherwise let it go. I hate driving with other people, I can't listen to what I want because the other person wants to talk, I can't drive like I want, because apparently it's scary

yes that's true that's one of the reasons why I hate giving rides and some people are back seat drivers:noway: .Sometimes she is like slow down and she is always watching my every move as if she doesn't trust my driving
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Don't feel awkward, if anyone should, it should be your co-worker for putting you in a position where you had to put your foot down.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You did the right thing. I had a co-worker who lived a couple blocks away used to do that crap. I'd come outside and he'd be sitting on the sidewalk next to my car.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    delt?
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    No reason for you to feel badly. I get that it's a hard thing to be assertive because it doesn't feel polite, but a simple refusal is entirely reasonable!

I always like to think, "don't complain, don't explain."