What a good substitute for salad dressing?

Options
Hello, my diet isn't the best, but I use only 1/4 of a cup of salad dressing (4 tbsp). On most days I have 2 salads a day.

I want to cut down on SODIUM.

Anyone got any low sodium salad dressings that are easy to make or perhaps buy?

I am not a celebrity chef and the most cooking I usually do is to preheat the oven for the frozen pizza.

With my skill level in the kitchen can someone help me out?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A smaller amount of salad dressing
  • tooheyz
    tooheyz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like fresh lemon juice.
  • miniwaankerbot
    miniwaankerbot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar is pretty good for a salad. I like to mix in 1/8 cup of pureed avocado to make it creamier.

I also buy Bolthouse Farms dressings. They can be found in the produce section, refrigerated.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Is your concern the sodium or the calories?
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I just use lemon juice. If I find my salads a little dry, I like putting a teaspoon or tablespoon of light mayo on. One tablespoon of the mayo I get is just 40 calories. I don't know the sodium content.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Mustard, honey mustard, lemon/lime with salt and pepper, greek yogurt, hot sauce/salsa. Those are my faves!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a squeeze of lemongrass paste that you find in the tubes in the grocery aisle. put it in a small plastic container with a lid and shake it until blended.

Or olive oil, balsamic, a touch of mustard. Shake.

Or grape seed oil, rice wine vinegar, a packet of Chinese hot mustard from Chinese takeout.

Or sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, yuzu ponzu (it's the ponzu sauce with the citrus fruit on the front, right near the soy sauce in the grocery store).

I never buy salad dressing.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this, I was just looking up some homemade dressing myself the other day.

Here is a relatively easy one, I have not tried it yet.

Garlic Dressing

Ingredients:
    •3/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
    •1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    •1 clove pressed garlic
    •1 teaspoon salt
    •1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Once you mix everything together, this dressing keeps for up to two weeks, refrigerated in a covered container.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ^^better
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut the calories and sodium use less dressing.

Here is my method.

I use 2 cups of spinach in my salads ( 2 good size handfuls )
    Put the lettuce,spinach or kale in the bowl. Use 1 measured tbls of dressing and toss or mix with a fork until
    Both sides of each leaf is coated.

Add your other ingredient.

Remarkably , just 1 tbls of dressing is enough to coat the whole thing and provides plenty of flavor and moisture and this is coming from a guy who used drench his salads in dressing. My motto used to be salads are just an excuse to eat dressing.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I water down hummus and use that.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    someone needs to learn how to cut and paste.

Sorry, I fixed it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use light versions of my regular salad dressings that range from 25 to 40 calories for 2 Tbsp.. and have no issues fitting that into my day when I am having salads.... My goto is a light ceasar dressing currently which is the 40 calories per 2 Tbsp. one..... Best of Luck
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have ben experementing too and find that I love cider vinegar but not by itself (yet) I put some in a jar and add Kens lite Caeser, put the lid on and shake..it cuts the dressing and the vinegar is supposed to be really good for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
    THIS!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MartinaTVS
    MartinaTVS Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar and oil, lemon juice and olive oil or a avocado dressing (ripe avocado, lemon juice, 1/4 olive oil and salt and pepper to taste).
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I usually just do plain apple cider vinegar. But my go-to dressing to mix up is vinegar, garlic powder, chopped basil in a squeeze tube (you can usually find it in the produce section), dijon or horseradish mustard, and black pepper, sometimes oil depending on my mood.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I use honey mustard!