Trying to lose weight after baby!!! Please help!

I just had my beautiful son in June. I am almost 4 months postpartum and I gained a mass amount of weight. I can make it to the gym MAYBE once or twice a week. I have been suffering from PP depression and I am in one heck of a rut. I am sooooooo incredibly desperate for advice. What could be helpful to anyone and EVERYONE:
1. Recipe ideas if that's your forte
2. Motivational tips that helped you on your journey
3. Quick and easy tips for both exercise and healthy eating.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me!! Add me as well........ I need accountability buddies. Thank you in advance. Help a sister out folks. Xoxoxoxo

Replies

• I am on the same boat. Just had my baby in Aug and have a few pounds to lose.
    I have used MFP on and off for a while now, but mostly for maintenance. Now that I really need to lose weight I am looking for other people that can help me stay motivated.
  • Same hear. After having my beautiful boys very close together one 10months and one 22months I'm finally ready to get my bum moving and louse my baby weight. Add me if you like :)
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Cass, you can add me as a friend. I'm 24 weeks pregnant with my first. I'm obviously not trying to lose weight, but I am tracking calories and exercising regularly.

I cannot give you advice re: post partum depression. I'm assuming you are seeking professional help for this.

Anyhow, as for diet, track everything you are eating and don't lower your calories so much that you feel you are starving. I was eating 1800 cals/per day and lost 10 lbs in about 5 months. I started at approx. 157lbs and I'm 5'7. I started at 1300 calories, but that just wasn't enough for me.

By logging, you will see what foods work for you and what don't.

As for exercise, walking is great. You can bring the baby out for some fresh air and lose weight at the same time.

By tracking your calories and maybe trying to get out for a brisk walk a few times per week, you should be able to lose the baby weight.
  • pcruzrlopez
    pcruzrlopez Posts: 1 Member
    I have 2 year old a a 13 month old and i cant blame it on the baby fat anymore!!! But with some hard work and dedicstion it can be done, I still cant get rid of the last 10 pds literally but i am still trying!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    My 4th boy is almost 10 mo and I've been hanging onto the "I'm still BFing" excuse. I've been telling myself for months now that I need to get my butt in gear and work on myself. I always make sure that everything is good for everyone else so now is the time for me, the time for YOU!!! First, I hope that you are getting some help for your PPD, second, go out for walks with your baby. Walking is a great way to get started. Even if it is only for 1/2 hour. Third, you need to find out what calorie amount will work for you at this point. Log everything into MFP in regards to your height, weight, goal weight, etc. and see where the calories lie. Also, make sure to log your calories everyday and your exercises. If you go over, then you know where you need to work on. Fourth, make sure that you are eating some of your exercise calories back. You don't want your body to start hoarding your fat because you aren't eating enough. Are your BFing? If so, you can log that under Snacks. It will add to your calorie allowance each day. Since I exclusively pump, I know exactly how many calories, but most BF moms say around 500 calories a day. So, start there and see how the first week goes. Getting past the first couple weeks will be the hardest. You can do this!!!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    ariel_waving.gif

Hey. :flowerforyou:

Congrats on the little one. I had my second child on May 29th. My oldest is 2yrs (will be 3 in Dec). I had to have a c-section with both of my boys. The first one wasn't too bad and I was up and moving pretty quickly (doing normal house hold stuff by 2 wks pp). This time however, the healing process was pretty slow and I actually managed to re-open the incision around 4wks pp. I only just started working out again (on 9/11 to be exact). My weight hasn't really changed for the past week and a half, but I know that starting up a new workout plan can cause water retention. I don't actually go to a gym to workout. I use workout DVD's. Currently I'm doing the X-TrainFit program. The workouts are about an hour long which is a bit longer than I'm used to and I still can't do the circuit DVD all the way through (1hr 20mins in length). I don't workout for weight loss though. Weight loss mostly comes down to diet. I have 10.6lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and another 40lbs to lose after that.

29gig5h.jpg
    2ibcd8p.jpg

Take measurements and pictures. They are better ways to track progress compared to weight alone.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.
  • CassKearns28
    CassKearns28 Posts: 4 Member
    Aww thank you for your encouragement. I WISH SO BADLY I could have BF my little fella. They left a sponge inside of me and didn't find it until 10 weeks PP. so I found out that's why my milk never came in. I tried so hard to get my milk. Nonetheless he is one healthy guy. And yes I am seeking medical help for the depression. It got really bad. But I am rising above thank God for his help. But anywho yes I am needing to go on more walks. It will teach him to enjoy nature like myself and get him some good fresh air :) do you mind if I request you as a friend? I need accountability buddies and you seem to be an encouraging person that I would love to chat with on occasion.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    get a jogger stroller and take your kid out for long walks and some runs.
  • kris10ukblue
    kris10ukblue Posts: 9 Member
    My baby is 13 months old and I am just now figuring out a good routine for exercise. I get up at 5:00 three days a week to work out before work while everyone is still asleep. It was rough at first, but now I love it. I get an hour of "me" time! I also try to go for lots of walks while the weather is still nice.

I also went through some rough post partum stuff. My best advice is to be kind to yourself. Your body just did an amazing thing (creating a human!) and it takes time to feel like your old self again. It's really hard when your mind is playing tricks on you, but just take one day at a time. You will get there! :)
  • hani85
    hani85 Posts: 9 Member
    Am also the same just had my beautiful boy 6 weeks ago in august and need to shift 25kg. gained less with first pregnancy
    started to exercise lightly but now really need to kick this in gear n move this weight off. I normally work out at home with my cross trainer and weights whilst baby is asleep
    please add me need accountability and encouragement
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Is it OK to recommend a cookbook on this site? ..... Umm, hopefully if it's not, you'll see this before it goes. Cooking Light has great cookbooks. I have two that are my cooking go-tos: Fresh Foods Fast and the latest Cooking Light Slow Cooker cookbook. I used to really hate their recipes (fat free half and half is not an option for me), but they have changed and they're fantastic now. It really helped me to get my meals planned and then I'd add the recipe to my info because I knew that I'd fix it again. Kept my dinners filling, interesting, and within my goal for the day. If you can't afford the book, cruise the internet and look for recipes. It's well worth your time!

~Curly
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Your not long PP and with PND and sponge related complications (horrified to read that! Disgraceful!) you must be kind to yourself. If you go too hard with too much you'll burn out.

Walking is great for easing you back into movement, building up a bit of physical stamina, getting some air and enjoying mummy and baby time. All you need is a pram/buggy/stroller and you're off. Plus walking is very good for PND.

Food wise, if you have a freezer the key is to cook up a batch of something healthy, portion it out into appropriate calorie sizes and freeze the pots. That way if you're having a bad day, baby has been keeping you up at night, or you're pushed for time you can grab something healthy and balanced out of the freezer and you aren't tempted by high calorie alternatives.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Some exercise is better than no exercise. I had my son last September and had a 4th degree tear from labor so I sat around a lot and ate. I gained 18 lbs in that year and then decided enough was enough. Put little man in a stroller and go for a walk. It's soothing to him and will probably help with your PPD as well. Good luck!