BEST GREEK YOGURT WITHOUT ADDING ANYTHING EXTRA!

Options
2»

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I make my own too, similar recipe to what was posted already although I've never used evaporated milk - will have to try that sometime. I do like it with raspberries and almonds added though, for crunch and deliciousness. I have a cooking thermometer so I heat the milk to 180 then cool it to somewhere in the range of 98-115 degrees (hotter will kill the cultures in the starter); add the powdered milk and starter and since my oven light is out I pour the liquid yogurt into old, clean glass peanut butter jars (the 40oz size), seal, put in a small cooler with 3 sealed smaller jars of HOT water, pack towels around and then let it culture that way. It works great! Making your own yogurt is super cheap and easy, I don't know why I waited so long. I guess I thought it MUST be hard, and I was totally intimidated but no longer.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. 80 calories, fat 0, carbs 8g, protein 12g

I do as well you can't beat 12g of protein and only 80 cals! I like the strawberry cheesecake flavor the best. My husband likes the banana cream. Great snack!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I make my own too, similar recipe to what was posted already although I've never used evaporated milk - will have to try that sometime. I do like it with raspberries and almonds added though, for crunch and deliciousness. I have a cooking thermometer so I heat the milk to 180 then cool it to somewhere in the range of 98-115 degrees (hotter will kill the cultures in the starter); add the powdered milk and starter and since my oven light is out I pour the liquid yogurt into old, clean glass peanut butter jars (the 40oz size), seal, put in a small cooler with 3 sealed smaller jars of HOT water, pack towels around and then let it culture that way. It works great! Making your own yogurt is super cheap and easy, I don't know why I waited so long. I guess I thought it MUST be hard, and I was totally intimidated but no longer.
    I think that the evaporated milk makes it thicker. I bought a strainer-thing to make greek yogurt, but my recipe comes out so very thick that I don't need to strain it. The heavy cream I use does up the calories, but the layer of creamy perfection on top is so worth it. And I know exactly what is in it...that makes a few extra calories worth it. Along with the taste...I could never go back to the plastic cup again.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered THE BEST tasting Greek yogurt! It was so delicious I had to tell everyone about it lol. Its yoplait Greek yogurt sweetened naturally with honey! Only 150 calories. That is all. ????

But it does have extra things added - and the honey 'blend' (not real honey) they use is NOT natural. A honey blend made with sugar & modified corn starch is hardly 'natural'.

I've never tried to make my own, but I might now with the recipe posted. I do like Fage 2% as well.
  • shall724
    shall724 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump