Help... Nothing I do makes a difference

Options
Hey guys

I have used MFP for a while now, but I seem to have reached that dreaded plateau, no matter what I do. I try to eat healthy, limit eating out to once a week- and dinners, not fast food, and work out 6x a wk for approx 1 hr. I try to switch up my work outs from Insanity, to Jillian Michaels to cardio classes at the gym, so as not to make things too routine. Yet, no matter what, I still have not budged on the scale. I feel hungry all the time, and cant stop thinking about when my next meal is. Also, after working out I am ravenous, and then feel like I eat back everything I worked off.
I feel like giving up, and dont know what to do. I do not want my weight to be the focus of everything, but I just cant drop the last 5 pounds, no matter all my effort.

Do you have any tips or suggestions.

Replies

• IrishPenny
    Options
    I wouldn't stress too much about the last 5 lbs...heck I wish that was my problem now. Continue doing what you are doing and try not to think so much about that last 5.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I gave up when I reached a plateau. Then I just went to maintenance. After a month of maintaining, I started losing again, and even list 10 pounds more than my goal weight.
  • jmischlewski
    Options
    HI Poncyndi,

in terms of your calorie intake are you eating back the calories you are burning? I aim for 1500 calories a day to eat (my personal trainer told me this is a good figure to lose weight/not be hungry) and aim to burn between 300-400 calories a day. I only aim to eat my 1500 calories, I sometimes go over which doesnt matter to much with the exercise but I have been told I should aim for a deficit of between 300-400 calories a day which means you should not be eating your exercise calories at all.......hope this helps
  • desidieter
    Options
    Simply eating healthy and limiting how often you eat out is not always enough, as far as food is concerned. Are you weighing/measuring all your food? Are you eating enough? I can't see your diary, so I don't know what a basic day looks like. if you're constantly hungry and exercising that much, it's possible your calorie goals aren't right? I know it sounds funny, but sometimes increasing your caloric intake can help. As long as you're still eating at a deficit, you should still be able to lose.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Need more information. Height? Current weight? Do you weigh your food? What are your macros like? Knowing your height and weight will help us understand if you're aiming for too low a weight. Weighing your food helps get an accurate understanding of how many calories you're consuming. Macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) in the right balance for your activity level can help you feel fuller longer keep you from wanting to chew off an arm.
  • christashay
    christashay Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are all your workouts cardio based? Do you strength train at all? Lifting weights, using body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, burpees) could help you break thru. Seriously! Girls get way too caught up in cardio. Find something heavy, pick it up!! Changes your body composition, leans you out. Muscle burns fat.
    Try shakin' it up. Try Zig zagging your calories too. Just some ideas.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so it's difficult to help. You shouldn't be hungry. If you are working out hard, you need to refuel your body and may be eating too little.

When I plateau, I find that upping my calories by 200 and changing my workout help snap my body out of it.
  • pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all you've done thus far!!!!! You are important!!!! Think - figure out exactly how long it took you to put on that weight. = that AND more is how long it'll take you to lose that same weight. Patience, time and nature cures all troubles.

AND the MOST important thing we can do for ourselves is respect our stomach. Learn mindful eating. Slow down, think of each bite, etc.

Once you've accomplished this, you've found your true health. Not just 'weight'.
  • RamonaFr
    Options
    I had a plateau of about three months a while ago. I kept working on it, eventually started losing weight again.
    I agree with the question about weighing your food. Do you accurately measure what you eat or just guesstimate?
  • bittersweet87
    Options
    So to answer some of your questions, I am 5-5`1, I have very small bone structure, so the final pounds really do make a difference. An extra 5 lbs on me is like an extra 15lbs on someone taller. Also, I gain on my stomach and face, so it shows right away.

In terms of exercise, I do push-ups, burpees, squats etc. I hardly ever do just plain cardio, since the Insanity videos combine everything.

In terms of food, I aim for 1200 calories a day. I try to log my food, but it is difficult to weigh it, since a family member cooks the food and so is hard to know how much exactly is in that serving size. Ex you make a large dish of stir fry or mixed vegetables, how do you know exactly how much is in what you served yourself, unless you pre-portion out everything, which is not feasible in a family situation.

I know that I get hungriest around 11:30 and then like 3:30, and am craving for some snack. I try to snack on carrots, or apples, but this isn`t always enough. Also, the worst time for me is around 8:30-10 since that is right before I go to bed, but am still hungry. If I eat something, I feel like I blew my calorie count remaining, but if I dont eat anything, I am hungry.

Thanks for your thoughts so far!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    So to answer some of your questions, I am 5-5`1, I have very small bone structure, so the final pounds really do make a difference. An extra 5 lbs on me is like an extra 15lbs on someone taller. Also, I gain on my stomach and face, so it shows right away.

In terms of exercise, I do push-ups, burpees, squats etc. I hardly ever do just plain cardio, since the Insanity videos combine everything.

In terms of food, I aim for 1200 calories a day. I try to log my food, but it is difficult to weigh it, since a family member cooks the food and so is hard to know how much exactly is in that serving size. Ex you make a large dish of stir fry or mixed vegetables, how do you know exactly how much is in what you served yourself, unless you pre-portion out everything, which is not feasible in a family situation.

I know that I get hungriest around 11:30 and then like 3:30, and am craving for some snack. I try to snack on carrots, or apples, but this isn`t always enough. Also, the worst time for me is around 8:30-10 since that is right before I go to bed, but am still hungry. If I eat something, I feel like I blew my calorie count remaining, but if I dont eat anything, I am hungry.

This is why I've finally convinced my mother to use my food scale when she's cooking. Makes things a lot easier for me.

What did you put in as your deficit for 1200? With only five pounds left to lose, it can take quite a bit of time to get rid of the weight.
  • egrant0512
    Options
    You can do 4 servings of protein a day 4 hours apart make sure you eat raw veges with your protein. Eat your fruits before noon no more then 2 servings a day and only one starch a day. Eat your fruit alone make sure you do not eat 4 hours before bedtime 120 to 140 grams of protein a day.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi

I found I was always either stuffing my face or going to bed hungry when I first started. I realized I needed to either leave some calories for the end of the day or make a satiating choice for my last snack. It took a bit of trial and error but eventually I found what works for me and I no longer go to bed starving :smile:
  • stakkiemat
    Options
    Hi :) Can I ask how much water do u drink per day x And how much exercise x
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    As far as your diet, you may check your protein intake to make sure it's sufficient. You mentioned a lot of carbs in your reply, many of which may not leave you feeling sated. Upping protein could also help maintain your LBM as you lose these last few pounds if your intake is indeed low.

Most of your workouts seem to be HIIT. If you have a taste for it, I would definitely recommend throwing in some strength training. You may find you will like your new figure at your current weight after adding a small amount of muscle to look more toned. This will also let you eat a few more calories each day if fullness is already an issue.

Also consider taking a week or so and eating slightly above maintenance. I know it sounds counterproductive, but a break in your diet can go a long ways toward keeping your sanity. Some studies show some very solid results using refeeds like this to promote continued weight loss. Seemed to work well in my case.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Since your not weighing and measuring, it's almost impossible to say the number of calories your really consuming. I'm going to guess that might be your issue.
    If someone else does the cooking, maybe try to be there while your foods are prepared so you can weigh out your portions.
    Or cook your own foods.
  • bittersweet87
    Options
    Practically speaking, how do you measure everything you eat, Even if I cook my own food and make a dish,- ex chicken curry, or spaghetti sauce how do you know how much is in 1 serving. Do you separate it right away or do you guesstimate in the end? Also how do you do this and remain sane, lol! I want to lose weight but also not become obsessed with dieting.

Yes I should up my protein intake, but I find it takes up more calories, and then I am not full b/c there is less food physically in my stomach. Ex a 50g of chicken vs 20g of chicken + eggplant and broccoli will =~ 100 calories, but I am less full w/ the chicken only.

Also, question about fruit, I realized that I have been eating more of it recently, but is it that bad for you? I eat mostly apples, berries, peaches (when in season) and plums.

I drink LOTS of water, I go through > 10 glasses a day, so I dont think that is the issue.

Thanks again for all your tips! They have been quite useful/insightful.
  • pagefan
    pagefan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5 lbs, ten lbs, 100+ lbs, when you're in it, you're in it.. and if it's about you, it makes ya crazy... I too am in that place with a lousy 12 pounds... I completely understand... 4/1/13 - i was 6 lbs away from my goal weight of 128.. and had back surgery....over the last year and a half, (not to mention my life completely shifted) I gained 12 lbs. (medications, unable to work out for over a year +) so, I alternate between 143, 144 and up to as high as 147. I am 56, and 5' 4, and a size 8, or 10, depending on the cut of the clothes. I have been ON here for over a year.. I started here at 142.6 and I have gained weight.. then, I get down 2 lbs, and then, back up by 2 or 3. I actually eat small amounts of food all day. sounds like you might, as others suggested, need more protein and or fiber full foods to keep you feeling full- i too drink a ton of water.. Perhaps your workouts are actually TOO intense, and you'd be better off with (i think someone else mentioned it) lifting weights.. not eating enough (?) that does happen. I have a wonderful trainer and 'food coach" and that was my problem before.. this time? No matter what I do, nothing seems to work. I weigh food, I am a portion maniac. i LOG everything, even when I screw up. MY diary is public. I thought, perhaps it's the sugar (s) as i do eat fruits... I lowered my cal intake to UNDER 1200 because the 1200 was NOT working either and Jillian Michals site recommended to go down to a net of 968. WHICH means i have to work out every day, when i cannot. Also found other info on other sites that suggested if you DON'T work out you might not have a choice - i alternate between 968 net and or under 1200 net. my trainer is a bit baffled. When you get down to where (we ) you are, it starts getting down to minute bites of this or that.. it sucks. I started working out again, after being in PT and being cleared by my *kitten*** surgeon - (he turned into a real toad as i ended up with (have 12 screws and a cage) a sympathetic nerve disorder and nerve damage to my left calf and left foot (the S-1 root) no matter what I have been doing, or have done, does anything to ease that kind of pain, and / or the problem i have (now my ankle turns out, when i do walk, it feels like there's a rock in my shoe all the time, so cannot walk the way i used to, and in turn also cannot run, so traditional cardio is out. Surgeon threw me under the bus to pain management as if it were my fault and not his...VERY hard and sad for me, as I was a bit of a fit rat... and IN good shape before I hurt myself to the point of no return and needed surgery - i actually pulled my spine out of place.. how? IDK, perhaps kickboxing ?) No responsibility there as you sign your life away... BUT, Lucky for me, my trainer is a friend and amazing and this was an extremely HARD, frustrating long road back, and she helped and worked with my PT and with me, and i am now able to hold my own in a class of personal fitness sessions. I don't have access to a gym anymore, so I take a class on Saturdays and during the week, also do Jillian Michaels, (have ya tried Jackie Warner ?? She kills it, and it kills ME.. been trying to beat this one particular DVD and haven't been able to yet, i also pulled out an ancient FIRM tape from 100 years ago that KILLED me. (yes, weights & HIIT training) I only get to work out 3 times a week where i used to be working out 6 days a week. - used to love to dance. and cannot do that anymore.. I am still in a place where I have to realize this is the NEW and or different version OF me and I AM not the same as I was...there are things that i cannot do (like burpees, or running, my balance is gone, and i cannot use my foot / leg that way) I KNOW that you can totally knock off those 5 lbs. I know I CAN knock off these 12. We seem to be in the same boat, more than happy to view your diary and provide pointers. I've done a lot of coaching over the past few years to others + one thing i have to continually remember is to celebrate your success rather than your failing. Part of this is ALL in your mind.. if you keep saying you cannot lose the 5 lbs, your body is ONLY hearing THAT... EVERY DAY.. switch it up.. tell your body you are light, and airy and are five lbs lighting... to hit that goal. You will. it might not be in the TIME frame in which you want it, but you will. :-)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Losing weight is an in vs out equation. Unfortunately, you have no idea how many calories are going in or out (because it's very hard to accurately measure calories burned with non-steady state cardio).

If you're serious about this, you may want to work with the person cooking your meals to more accurately measure calories in your foods.

As for your comment about meals: I often make single-skillet meals in which i weigh each ingredient as I put it in the skillet. If I were sharing a skillet meal, I would calculate the total calories, find out the total weight, and then weigh my portion of the total.

Another tip: if you want to be able to eat more, lift more.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If you only have five more pounds to lose, AND you're only 5'1, then your TDEE is going to be relatively low, and definitely lower than it was when you were heavier. Inaccuracies in calorie counting might not have made too big of a difference before, but now that your margin of error is lower, it may be keeping you from actually having a calorie deficit. You need to be very, very accurate in counting at this stage.