What a good substitute for salad dressing?

Options
2»

Replies

• molls10m
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try the avocado recipe, I never thought about using it as a mayo-like substitute for salad dressings! THANKS GUYS!
  • meganlea2431
    meganlea2431 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to mix apple cider vinegar with water then add just a splash of oil. Its so yummy :-)
  • Sera1231
    Sera1231 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For cutting out sodium:

1 T Olive Oil
    1/2 T Honey
    2 T Lime Juice

Shake well and enjoy.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Rice vinegar, some fresh squeezed lemon juice, a little cayenne pepper and any other seasonings you may like. I usually add a little cajun seasoning as well. I like a little bite to my eats lol.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mustard, honey mustard, lemon/lime with salt and pepper, greek yogurt, hot sauce/salsa. Those are my faves!

YUM. Same here, my mainstay is usually just salt and pepper and sometimes lemon.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Just buy one that is labeled low sodium?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lemon juice.

No dressing. Both are low sodium options.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I too am on a low sodium diet and was recently searching for a loso dressing. As french is my favorite style of dressing, this recipe piqued my interest:

1/4 cup Heinz No Salt ketchup
    1 tsp. Mrs. Dash® Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    2 Tbsp. honey

The MFP recipe calculator calculated it at 33 calories, 3mg of sodium and 120mg of potassium for a 2Tbsp. serving.

Haven't had the chance to try it yet but the ingredients are on the shopping list.

Browse the Mrs. Dash site for other styles of dressing and other types of loso recipes.

ENJOY
  • brianjmahoney
    Options
    thanks for the ideas, this thread is from last night and most of you are probably not on but I will bookmark it to experiment with them. Thank you
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Salsa
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like fresh lemon juice.

Agree with that. Or use lemon juice as a base to make your own: little bit of olive oil, fresh garlic and herbs or dijon mustard.

Edited to add: If you want a creamier dressing, you can also whip in some tahini (sesame paste).
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Olive oil and red wine vinegar with a bit of Dijon mustard and chopped fresh herbs of your choice... I'm unadventurous and usually go with parsley, but the possibilities are endless.
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much cut any bottled or homemade salad dressing with water or milk (for creamy versions). 1T water + 1T dressing mix well, works great! -OR- make sure your lettuce is still pretty wet after washing and toss really well with 1T dressing.
  • dieter1200
    dieter1200 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i usually do no dressing but sometimes I put a little of the pear juice from canned fruit in with the salad if I have an open can around. It tastes pretty good.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I normally use light salad dressing. Or balsamic vinegar or Tabasco sauce.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like Opa by Litehouse, Greek yogurt dressing.