Hello and another scale is not moving question

Options
I have been active on the site for a while now but had never properly introduced myself, so hello all!

I am 36 years old and was 149 when I started this weight loss journey again last month. My goal is to hit 130, although I would be pretty happy with 135. As a motivational tool to lose weight together, my husband and I entered a 3-month fitness/weight loss challenge at our local gym. The first month went great. Lost about 9 pounds and 4% body fat. I was halfway to my goal and super happy and motivated.

The scale hasn't moved a single pound in September. I watch what I eat, walk about 5-6 miles most days (don't log it here because I do it through my Garmin Vivofit) and lift about 3 times a week. I see a difference in my body but am bothered by the lack of movement on the scale.

This morning when I weighed in at the gym, the weight was still the same but at least I had lost 2% more body fat. The trainer that weighed me in basically berated me very loudly for complaining about the scale because he said I was not eating a "balanced" enough diet. This guy knows absolutely NOTHING about me and said this solely based on the fact that I mentioned I sometimes eat plain oatmeal for breakfast (his lack of professionalism belongs in another post!).

When I asked if the lack of weight loss could be due to the muscle that I am gaining, he said no, that if it was muscle both weight and body fat should be going down at the same time. My husband thinks that is BS. Is the trainer right?? I am so confused and still feeling a bit bummed not to see any movement on the scale!

Replies

• georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You are right. The trainer is wrong.
    Muscle weighs more compared to the same volume of fat (muscle has greater density.) If your bodyfat has decreased and your weight has stayed the same then of course you have gained muscle!
    Well done, keep up the hard work!
  • PRChica2015
    PRChica2015 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that makes me feel a lot better! :-)