heeelpppp :( feeling hopeless!!

Options
nstock
nstock Posts: 135 Member
hello! i am turning 24 next month and i cannot believe the way i look! i am about 5'4 and always weighed around 150-155lbs. i am now at about 170lb. the funny thing is, i always thought i was fat before, now i just feel like a whale. I have been able to get fit using this app and be very strict with diet and exercise, but it seems this time around I just can't do it and I am so sad at this weight. I look terrible, and the fat is all I can see. How do I get motivated again, there is no excuse for me to be looking like this

Replies

• RamonaFr
    Options
    Well, stop beating yourself up, to start with. Then, just put one foot in front of the other. One day at a time. Just promise yourself you'll make good choices today. That's all I can do, take it one day at a time.

Did you exercise today? Did you eat some veggies today? Did you post every single bite you ate in your diary on MFP? If so, good. If not, time to start!

You are so young. Don't wait until my age to finally get it together! I'm 64, I've been fat my entire life. Is that what you want? If not, then start taking one step at a time toward fitness.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Make a commitment to yourself to log all your food, eat at a deficit and try to get in at least 30minutes of exercise 2-3x a week.

Motivation comes and goes. Commit to taking care of yourself and get it done, just like you'd go to work, brush your teeth, take your kids to school, etc.

Here's a couple of links with some really great info and tips if you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214490-the-wisdom-of-trogalicious
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Motivation can be a tricky thing. It depends on your personality on what motivates you.

What usually does it for me is reading about others who have struggled and came out on top. Those that were penniless and rose to greatness.

Also, I find a lot of help looking through Pintrest, seeing different posts and links.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The first step is to stop thinking of yourself as fat. Before you can really change you have to accept who you are right now. Love yourself enough to accept who you are and then change it if you want to. More importantly, switch your focus to "I want to be healthier" instead of "I want to be skinnier" .
  • shay609
    Options
    Firstly, i think you should start looking at yourself in a better light. you are so so capable of anything you want to accomplish. i know the feeling of wondering how i will ever get to my goal and feeling hopeless. I really think instead of thinking about how much we want/need to lose and how we don't like the way we look we should be thinking about how great it would feel to actually reach that ultimate goal. you should be so so proud of yourself for even being on this site and for even trying. I believe in you.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Think dedication not motivation.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    you're all so right! i appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. i remember how good it felt being fit, on the outside and inside... it's just discouraging when i have people mentioning how much skinnier i was (just a year ago). i need to fall in love with the process again! thanks for the encouragement and best of luck to everyone else on their journeys! :)
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    stop thinking first off is what i say to me. just stop right there and begin a plan… you need a plan. u know what u like and don't so tailor that into that plan.
    think of the best moments you had in working out or being physical in general and get yourself recharged. have some green tea or a natural stimulant to boost energy levels w/out killing yourself. \
    then baby steps w/a mentality that they will morph to bigger steps…don't go working out everyday for 30 minutes right of bat.
    10 minutes twice week…
    then cut soda out-soda pop is bad 4 u & me. i dnt drink it and i won't be in the dr.'s office anytime soon either..i used to love it and occasionally enjoy it but to bring it in the house( 7+years since i regularly had) we might occasionally bring one 2 liter but thats it.
    you need some killer music the makes you want to keep going.
    just be outside or go walking-if anything you need to be walking. hiking is so awesome for your health
    create small habits…that way the habit remains and the effort can be changed..dont please don't think too far-ever.
    thinking ahead gets most of us from going till we need to…also just do it..alot of us don't have a desire to workout for a couple of weeks b/c we aren't in our cycle just keep at it and then you'll get better and demotivated...

it doesn't get easier-youll get stronger-has wisdom in that phrase…i always go to that mentality if i need to
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 5'4. and started around 148-150. My a-ha moment was wanting a change for myself, being frustrated with how I looked in clothes, and knowing that I had been putting my health on the back burner. I also pushed myself when I didn't want to, and did my best to fit in workouts and a balanced diet into my daily life.

We have almost the exact stats (though my SW was your maintaining weight, and I've lost what you would have to to bring yourself back down to 150), and I assure you, it is possible to drop the weight! Each pound gone is another boost to keep moving forward. You just need to start and want the change for yourself.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jolene! It takes a strong person to reach out and ask for help as you have done. You have come to the right place and you are not alone. 5'4", 170 pounds; I am 5'4"and started out at 262 pounds. I understand your feeling of helplessness. Feel free to add me as a friend and I will do my best to encourage and motivate you. You can do this and I would ask you to do it now while you were young. You see I waited until I was over 50 and well I am delighted that I have lost nearly 138 pounds simply through counting calories, my regret is that I waited so many years and my body carries so many scars of having been an obese woman. You are young and your body can recover from your weight loss. Now is the time!
  • JCatherman9
    Options
    I inboxed you make sure to get back to me! I can help.