Lose the weight and the flab

Options
I have been over weight for most of my adult life. Now that I am starting to began to see some results. ...another question has come up. How do I lose the loose skin that will be left behind? I have some theories. Drink lots of water and loose the weight slowly. Any truth to this? Could and/or should I be doing more/ or less to tighten the skin during the weight loss?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Being hydrated and losing slowly-true.

How much weight do you have to lose? Depending on age and skin elasticity, loose skin can be a bit of a problem when losing a large amount of weight. If you have a lot to lose and are not opposed to surgery, that's one option. I believe weight training helps, but I'm not a professional and can only speak for myself. Regardless, you'll feel so much better with the weight off. Good luck!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    To be honest if you have 33lbs to lose I don't think it will be much of an issue at all!
    But for what it's worth, if it is an issue, the advice you'll get on the forum will largely direct you towards strength training!
    But then again, for a loss of 33 lbs, I wouldn't get too worried about it!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    To be honest if you have 33lbs to lose I don't think it will be much of an issue at all!
    But for what it's worth, if it is an issue, the advice you'll get on the forum will largely direct you towards strength training!
    But then again, for a loss of 33 lbs, I wouldn't get too worried about it!

Oh yeah, 33 pounds won't be too bad. I mean, I saw some sagging after just 5-10 pounds but strength training has evened that out.
  • kejo66
    kejo66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I do have a lot more to lose, about 50 Lbs all together. I plan on doing it slowly, over the next year. I am weight training and do see results. Just have to stay motivated, work and kids. I want to be able to enjoy the beach without a shirt. Oh, and to get in better health.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I lost my weight back in the 80s when girls didn't lift weights and all we knew was cardio. I lost slowly but did cardio cardio cardio and also I just genetically have crappy skin, even when I was 15! lol Weight training in recent years has def helped where the loose skin is! I lost 70lb, though. And I am a girl with a lot less muscle than a guy! Bonus...weight lifting also speeds up your metabolism so that you're more likely to maintain your weight loss!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Lose the weight slowly, and strength train.
  • lvsglass
    lvsglass Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jolene and I have lost 137 pounds, so I can relate to your concerns about extra skin, which I do have. My doctor told me it could take between one and two years for your skin to tighten up and also told me to not expect the tight skin I had when I was 20. One thing she suggested which really does seem to help is to Drybrush my skin on a regular basis. It causes extra bloodflow to come to the surface of the skin and supposedly helps it regain its healthy elasticity. While I am not happy about the loose skin, I have decided that I would rather have some loose and saggy skin which for the most part I can hide with my clothes, then be obese. Please feel free to add me as a friend and we can help motivate each other.
  • JCatherman9
    Options
    If anyone is looking for a great total get lean workout plan make sure to inbox me for amazing results and success stories.