Vegan

Options
Hi! I've been on here a while now. Slow but steady progress. Decided to try being a vegan for a while. Being vegan was a drastic move for me but needed to do something to shake my body up a little. Anyone else here a vegan? Any tips, struggles, success stories?? :)

Replies

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on here a while now. Slow but steady progress. Decided to try being a vegan for a while. Being vegan was a drastic move for me but needed to do something to shake my body up a little. Anyone else here a vegan? Any tips, struggles, success stories?? :)

From what I understand, based on friends that are vegan (I'm not), converting to a vegan diet should be a moral choice and not because your body needs a readjustment. Most vegans I've encountered that have been able to stick with it have done so because of their personal beliefs. That's just my two cents though, lol.
  • Yakelmeyer
    Yakelmeyer Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started my veganism because my boyfriend convinced me to. I thought that I would stick with it for health reasons (genetically high cholesterol and weight loss). I stayed a vegan for the morality of it and because after my body adjusted (6-8months) I feel amazing. Physically and morally, it feels incredible.

In summary, you may become a vegan for one reason or another but you tend to stick with it for so many other reasons. Regardless of what encourages your veganism, the end result is the same: nothing has to be tortured or die for you to live. In my opinion, there are more reasons to be vegan than to be an omnivore. Good luck!
  • janineterr
    Options
    I've been a vegan for about a year and a half and it's pretty much second nature now. I'm happy to help with any ideas or information you need. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the film "Forks Over Knives." It explains really clearly the health benefits of a vegan diet. It's not about the morality of eating meat. Of course, there are other films for that.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up that it's possible to be an overweight vegan :D that would be me! (Oreos are vegan! So many vegan treats at the co-op! My bread and bagels are vegan!) I bet my cholesterol is still low though. I'm 33yo and have been a vegetarian for 20 years and vegan for two years. I think the health benefits of veganism are more noticeable if you are going from switching from eating meat and dairy to veganism compared to me just switching from vegetarian to vegan.
    But I am on a health kick right now and am doing better! My tips for healthy vegan eating... I split my meals up and eat them at different times. Eat half of my breakfast at 7am... half at 9:30... half lunch around 11am... half lunch around 1:30... snack at 3.... dinner 5/6 and snack at 8. My goal is to not snack after 8, but that hasn't been working.
    I eat a lot of nuts and seeds and beans and add them to salads for my lunch.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Watch Earthlings for moral incentive. Vegan for 5 years, just because I prefer how it makes me feel. Good luck!
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Consider some of the veg/vegan specific groups. Much better feedback in general than the message boards (no offense to prior posters - solid feedback in here). "Team Vegan" is a helpful group. Best of luck!
  • Shelbyopolis
    Shelbyopolis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The number one tip I would say is to watch and read as much vegan media as possible! Personally, I'm vegan for the third time in my life and the number one reason I stopped in the past was because I was not exposing myself to new vegan recipes and trends. Thankfully, vegan substitutes have come a long way over the past ten years! The fake meats have the texture and taste much more in line, and the fake cheese is tasty too!

My favorite products:
    •Gardein meatballs, sweet and sour chicken and chicken scallopini (although I prepare this one the same way the meatballs are cooked, sooo good!)
    •Daiya provolone and cheddar cheese slices-melted, I don't care for them cold
    •Tofurkey, Tofurkey, Tofurkey! Such a good company! I like their oven roasted style slices, their thanksgiving day dinner was pretty good and I really like their Italian sausages!
    •Ben's Ready Rice in garden vegetable is vegan and a great quick dish for the "don't feel like cooking" days
    •Silk soy creamer! I was never a fan of flavored creamers even when I was an omnivore, but this is a true winner!
    •Just mayo is a great cheap mayo (found at the dollar store)
    •Clif bars-my favorites are the chocolate varieties, although the black cherry and sierra trail mix ones are really good too
    •Beyond Meat taco meat-juicy!
    •Amy's Kitchen Dairy Free burritos-another great super quick one!

Favorite food bloggers/vloggers:
    Bonzaiaphrodite.com (be sure to read her bit on supplementation!)
    Save the kales
    The Vegan RD
    I have the Vegan Life channel on my roku player too,but I can't locate a website for it :/

Enjoy and be sure to try as many new foods and recipes as possible!
  • Shelbyopolis
    Shelbyopolis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I forgot all about TofuttI! Their "Better Than Cream Cheese" and "Better Than Sour Cream" are amazing!
  • ReannaChere
    Options
    I just recently watched forks over knives. I'm a hypochondriac for my health and have battled various fad diets that didn't necessarily end in failure, because I always started a new one right after. After watching the documentary I knew this is exactly the kind of diet I could stick to with my low 1200 calorie diet. I have always been very fond of animals and never wore leather to my knowledge so I figured I could shiny myself into the community. Although I am not so passionate as others may be. I do share one belief. I love, love, love my ratties and it is so hurtful for me to thing of them being feeders and test subjects. And I also, like any other non-money motivated person, am concerned about earth's climate and health. So, here I am battling weight and any other negativity of today's current society. I lost 70 pounds on the hcg diet and maintained through many of those fad diets I was talking about but still bumped up 20 pounds after I stopped dancing for a living. So, I give up on fads! I want a lifestyle where I feel better about my choices and health and lose that extra bit by counting calories here on myfitness. Thanks for any support! Good luck everyone! Mmm granola and beans!!
  • mgibbs76
    mgibbs76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback. Very helpful.