HELP-Low Carb vs Counting Calories/Low Fat

Options
HELP!
Everyone seems to have their own opinion about this.
I've never been one for 'diets', but then again I've only lost 6 pounds in a year counting calories because I do good for a couple weeks, then not so great for a week. Low carb sounds great, but then I read another article and it sounds unhealthy.

So, what do YOU do?? Low carb?? Calories in/out??

Is low carb unhealthy because of the high fat?? No fruit??
Or should I stick to low fat, 1200 calories, and eating a mix of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains??

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• hbrow002
    Options
    Hmmmm....I have been thinking about the same thing. I follow the diet that Lindora uses which is very low carb. I always have less than the required calories on this thing and I feel bad. But I have followed the diet strictly and I have lost 10lbs in a little over two weeks. Some have told me that it is unhealthy to go so far under my calorie allowance (200 calories) and to lose so much weight so fast but I'm also exercising, I take vitamins and it's not as if I don't eat. I eat every two hours six times a day (which is harder to do then you think). I don't know I'm torn.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I hate to tell you this but I do both. I met with my dr. and he put me on 1500 calories max per day and 185 carb max per day. I have lost almost 100 pounds. I find that if I eat the right foods (avoid the refined sugars and the saturated fats) that my body is much happier and my appitite is satisfied!
    Honey if I can do this for a year and loose that much weight then so can you. I hope this helps!

Molly
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I personally don't think low carb is that healthy long term. There are lots of opinions both ways and I've read stuff...but the way I see it is: think back before the invention of processing foods. If we went back to only eating things as they are naturally grown, what would we be eating? Fruits, veggies, grains, nuts...that doesn't sound low carb to me! :) I personally just stay under my calories and try to stay close to the other goals and I lose weight fine. Of course, I do slip up and when I do, I don't lose. So, I really think it has more to do with the fact that you keep going back and forth with sticking to your calories and less to do with how many carbs. But they again everyone is not exactly the same and I'm sure you will get many different opinions. If I were you, I would try really hard to stay under your calorie goal for 4-6 weeks and see how your weight loss goes. If you don't think the results are any better...maybe try the low carb thing for 4-6 weeks and compare. It's not an instant answer, but at the end of it, you would know for sure! ;) good luck!
  • aleecef721
    Options
    Personally I do a combination of the two with 5 days a week of 60 minutes of exercise. So I count calories, but really watch my carbs. I don't eat any processed foods, white flour or any sweets. I try to load up on the green veggies, chicken and fish. I fell off this way of eating & exercise wagon through the holidays and I was up 10 lbs. After 3 days back in the saddle I am down 2.5 lbs and plan to be down to my fighting weight in 2 weeks.

I did enjoy the eating & drinking but now I am paying for it. I have realized I would rather watch how I eat and exercise, so I can be comfortable in my clothes and not feel self-conscience.
    Good luck! I hope this helps!
  • lilcrittert
    Options
    I'm with you....I've lost 20 pounds in about 3 weeks. I eat fruit, fresh veggies, and chicken, fish, and some seafood. I keep my calories in check and I don't eat processed flour, cereals, etc. Adam and Eve didn't have bread, twinkies, and soda.....haven't read where Eve had love handles from eatin' the stuff either!!! So, I'm all for getting rid of processed food and refined sugar. Also, my digestion problems mysteriously disappeared when I dumped the processed foods and refined sugars. Cookie Monster said, "Cookies are a sometimes snack."

The big question is....What do ranchers feed cows to get that beautiful marbled meat? Grain

What do the French feed geese to get fabulous foie gras? Grain

Why does beer pack on the pounds? Grain

What gives humans a spare tire around the middle? Grain
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with Molly. I lost 95lbs from Jan-09/Oct-09 just doing HIGH protein Low Carb. I Have concentrated on 1830 calories a day and divided that by 10 (183) and that is what i have for Protein just about every day. If i consume above 150 i am happy with my self but i also keep my Carbs in the 183 or lower range and often below 100. As mentioned previously by @silveryflutterby our ancestors Lived off of the land. The Majority of the calories they consumed were MASS quantities of meat from a hunted animal. True we do need fiber in our diet but if we look at the human language we would say eat your FRUITS and Veggies. We are an alphabetic society, therefore; Fruit is said before Veggies. In actuality if you eat massive amounts of VEGGIES (broccoli, Cauliflower, carrots (not baby), cucumber..etc) You will consume lots of fiber and very few Calories leaving room for that occasion apple or orange. Far to often though we tend to eat lots of fruit (high in sugar albeit natural, sugar all the same) and consume lots of calories in a short period of time.

If you had 5 serving of fruits a day you are looking at 350 to 500+ calories a day. If you have 7 Veggies and 2 fruits a day you could still be around the 350-500cal range but LOADS of FIBER and not much sugar! (blood sugars will love you for it).

So all this rambling just to say HIGH PROTEIN LOW CARB and read the book Protein Power Life Plan by Dr. Micheal R. Eades or the LA shape Diet by Dr. David Heber.

Here to help make "YOULIGHTER"!
    Justin Johnson
    Personal Wellness/Weight Loss Coach
  • nicoled87
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!

@alece...do you eat fruit and any whole grains?? or just stick to the veggies & protein??
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    For many reasons, and after extensive education on the subject, I never endorse low carb diets. Carbs got a bad rap over the past few years, when it should have been all about BAD carbs. Healthy, complex carbs are very good for you and in fact, essential. Avoid the bad carbs (processed foods, white carbs, etc.). Embrace the healthy ones!

My advice: Eat a high volume of clean, mostly unprocessed foods, in the proper ratios (MFP is fine and within that range) and control your calories. Stay active and that'll do it if you stick to it. :)
  • nicoled87
    Options
    THanks so much everyone! I truly appreciate all the feedback :)
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think the best way is to keep it within the ratios 40% protein 30% carbs 30% fat, is a moderate carb ratio, but a healthy one, and not a extreme one!!!...This is the one I keep not only for dieting but for life!!!
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For many reasons, and after extensive education on the subject, I never endorse low carb diets. Carbs got a bad rap over the past few years, when it should have been all about BAD carbs. Healthy, complex carbs are very good for you and in fact, essential. Avoid the bad carbs (processed foods, white carbs, etc.). Embrace the healthy ones!

My advice: Eat a high volume of clean, mostly unprocessed foods, in the proper ratios (MFP is fine and within that range) and control your calories. Stay active and that'll do it if you stick to it. :)

I haven't done the same level of research but can speak to personal experience.

Low carb resulted in rapid for me but it is was not sustainable.
    If you do it to long you'll feel tired and it takes plenty of will power that is not necessary.
    You can get very results via a "good" carb diet: Complex / Low GI Carbs are good and should be consumed after workout with
    a bit of protein.

The other risk of low carb is that you end up burning through muscle instead of fat.
    EEK! I fell into that trap. Don't do it :)
  • bhobbs30
    Options
    What does MFP stand for??
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Carbs got a bad rap over the past few years, when it should have been all about BAD carbs. Healthy, complex carbs are very good for you and in fact, essential. Avoid the bad carbs (processed foods, white carbs, etc.). Embrace the healthy ones!

Ditto!! I run and I can't live without them: especially when I am in the heart of a training program for one of my distance races.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What does MFP stand for??

My Fitness Pal. :flowerforyou:
  • Wotok
    Wotok Posts: 5
    Options
    HELP!
    Everyone seems to have their own opinion about this.
    I've never been one for 'diets', but then again I've only lost 6 pounds in a year counting calories because I do good for a couple weeks, then not so great for a week. Low carb sounds great, but then I read another article and it sounds unhealthy.

So, what do YOU do?? Low carb?? Calories in/out??

Is low carb unhealthy because of the high fat?? No fruit??
    Or should I stick to low fat, 1200 calories, and eating a mix of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains??

Thanks in advance :smile:

This is my first day at this site, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in on your question. I've been doing low carb since the 21st of August and I've lost 66 pounds so far. The site that got me started on this was a recipe site with hundreds of low carb recipes. (http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb) I dropped a lot of weight in the first 3 weeks and decided to stick with it. The last couple months I was averaging around 10 pounds lost a month, but it's started to slow down now that I'm approaching my goal. I may have to actually work for these last 24 pounds :) My goal is 25 carbs a day, but I'm only loosly counting, so I'm sure it's more like 25-40 carbs per day.

Do some googling of Atkins phases so you'll get an idea of how it all works. Definately check out that low carb site I linked - so many wonderful recipes!
  • MrsNeuman
    MrsNeuman Posts: 76
    Options
    bump