calories on here

Options
MFP says I need 1560 to maintain my weight, but other places have said 1800+. I was just wondering what people's experiences on this were.

Replies

• findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump

anyone?
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well, you haven't listed your age, activity level, height, or weight, so we can't really say. However if you are reasonably active, not too short, and not too skinny, 1800 seems more accurate to me. But just try it and see how it goes - it's all just estimates anyway. You will have to figure out what calorie intake works for maintaining.
  • Iljkmittaa
    Iljkmittaa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal said I had to eat about 1600 calories to maintain when I checked the sedentary lifestyle option and about 1800 when I chose the "lightly active" option. It also increased somewhat as I changed the number of exercises I planned to do weekly. Maybe it's the same with you.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Depends on your personal data; age, height, weight, activity level, etc.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    you came to the wrong place, there are no experts here.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Here's a few stupid questions just to make sure we're on the same page:

-Are you sure you have MFP set to maintain and not to lose?
    -Did you plug the exact same info into each calculator?
    -Are you sure the activity level is the same on all calculators (not so much what you put in but what each calculator is considering active, slightly active, ect)?

I know they're obvious questions but it's like talking to IT and them asking is it plugged in. Just got to confirm the simple things first.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    Here's a few stupid questions just to make sure we're on the same page:

-Are you sure you have MFP set to maintain and not to lose?
    -Did you plug the exact same info into each calculator?
    -Are you sure the activity level is the same on all calculators (not so much what you put in but what each calculator is considering active, slightly active, ect)?

I know they're obvious questions but it's like talking to IT and them asking is it plugged in. Just got to confirm the simple things first.

Yea, I said maintain and I did put the same info into all the calculators so it just seemed weird to me...
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    Depends on your personal data; age, height, weight, activity level, etc.

I'm 19, 5'4, 105.5 lbs, sedentary
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    Well, you haven't listed your age, activity level, height, or weight, so we can't really say. However if you are reasonably active, not too short, and not too skinny, 1800 seems more accurate to me. But just try it and see how it goes - it's all just estimates anyway. You will have to figure out what calorie intake works for maintaining.

Yea, I did forget these things...whoops! I'm 19, 105.5 lbs, 5'4 and sedentary
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Yea, I did forget these things...whoops! I'm 19, 105.5 lbs, 5'4 and sedentary

Well, then maybe 1800 would be too much, but you have to try something and see. BMI charts put you at slightly underweight.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey I wouldn't say you could be sedentary viewing your profile picture!! I work with horses and have my own mine is set to active.. Also I go to the gym alot.. I am the same weight as you but 2 inches shorter, my lowest (was also this when I was your age working 6 and a 1/2 days at a dealing yard) would really panic if I went any lower than this my bmi is normal but only 5 pounds off under weight.. I would say go with 1800 and if you gain a few pounds probably not a bad thing ;) I am adding you as your a fellow horsey person ;) if you do any sort of mucking out or manual stuff involving horses you are abit more active than you might think!!
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    well everyones body works differently. I'd go through trial and error and see what personally works for you you could try mfp or you could try your other site or if you simply cant pick average the two numbers out and see if that keeps you at maintenance
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the neat method. It does not take into account exercise calories which you are meant to eat back. Most online calculators seem to include exercise within the total (TDEE method) so therefore get initially a higher calorie goal. Adding your exercise to the MFP total will likely give you a similar total
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MFP says I need 1560 to maintain my weight, but other places have said 1800+. I was just wondering what people's experiences on this were.
    No MFP actually says 1560 plus exercise calories to maintain.
    Your "other places" are probably already including your exercise.

So the difference is probably marginal.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pick a number and go with it for a couple of weeks. See what happens. Adjust accordingly. It really is that simple.