First Time Exercise

Options
I started water aerobics on Monday because I feel like if I plan on losing any weight, I have to exercise along with my diet. I have a very low self esteem and I haven't been out of my house in years, unless I really have to (pay bills, grocery shop, family gatherings, etc.) . Besides walking, Monday was my first time exercising and now I have mild thigh pains. Why does this happen? Should I stop exercising for a while? Any tips to sooth this pain? Any advice at all? Thank you.

Replies

• katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Mild pain is normal after any new exercise. It's also normal when you do an exercise that is meant to become progressively harder (like lifting weights where you increase the weights gradually so to gain strength.) There is nothing wrong with feeling this pain, although you may find it annoying. Believe it or not, many keen exercisers LOVE that pain, as we know it means we're accomplishing something.

Sharp or shooting pains are what to worry about. Mild burning or aches in your muscles are not.

They will go away if you keep doing this particular form of exercise. If you find it really bothersome, try taking some ibuprofen for it.
  • lveda013
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I plan on going to my water aerobics class on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays every week. I have been feeling this pain since Monday night and I am going to class in the morning so I wasn't sure if I should take a break or if it was normal. I have a little bit of pain while walking so I thought I should ask. If the pain worsens, than I will look up taking ibuprofen. Thank again ! :)
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Keep exercising. As long as it's not severe it will eventually wear off.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    I would probably stretch more, your a beautiful young lady, I wouldn't have thought you had low self esteem. Keep pressing On, no matter what. Slowly build your endurance, also diet is surely a major part. Be sure to keep your body hydrated and slowly change your diet. The weight will come off I promise O:-)
  • lveda013
    Options
    @Misshodge64, Thank you and yes I have extremely low self esteem that I am trying to work on. I have slowly been changing my diet for almost a month now. I have been witching up a lot of my foods with more healthy choices and I always have bottled water around me for sure.