2 Success Stories with the natural ups and downs in between.

Options
Greetings, everyone!

I've recently joined Myfitnesspal to try and lose the weight I've been fluctuating all of my life. Obesity is very common in my family's roots and boy is food the center of a lot of our lives. The following doesn't help either: anxiety, impulsive, depression, a partner that eats unhealthy, and a mad case of the "whatevers".

Success #1

When I was 19 (fresh out of high school) I was around 220 pounds and decided I needed a change. Back in that day the Adkins Diet was quite popular, and I decided to do it. Within 3 months I had lost over 80 pounds (going down to about 145 lbs). While I LOVE rapid weight loss (who wouldn't?), the way I did it was very unhealthy. I lacked energy, went to the extreme with the diet, and NEVER exercised. While I loved the slimmer me, I was overwhelming anxious about it. My body image, self-esteem, and overall view of my transportation was flawed.

Unfortunately, life stresses happened and over the next few years I had gained all of the weight back plus much more. With the combination of eating/drinking nothing but junk, I had jumped up to 278 pounds. :sad: I WAS STUCK and lacked the motivation to do anything about it. I hit me after a doctor's visit that my health was deteriorating (major digestive issues, high cholesterol. aching feet,etc.).

Success #2

A year and the loss of my gallbladder later, I lost over 100 pounds getting down to about 176 pounds. THIS TIME I did it the healthy way. A structured healthy diet (portion control as well) and added a lot of exercise in it. Like before, life happened and I eventually gained about 50 pounds. Unfortunately (before finding this gem) I had no idea how to go about it where I could stick to it (this time around) and be motivated. A big step is learning not to let life stressors control my appetite and impulsiveness. I've had a BIG case of the "oh well, I won't be gain much weight" Om nom nom.....Well 50 pounds later......

Now that I have MFP looking at what food goes into my body and all the numbers REALLY has helped open my eyes and understand what is keeping me back. The goals (especially with fitness) is really motivating me to stick with it. I'm still having a little problem with my eating habits, but I'm working on it!

A few tips that helped me in the past:

-Quit drinking (alcohol, sodas, sugary drinks)
-The more organic the better!
-The more saturated the fat, the more it will stick to you!
-LIFE happens, weight loss adventures will have it's ups and downs, gains and losses
-NEVER GIVE UP!!!! :flowerforyou:

I hope EVERYONE has success on this site! :love: :love: :love:

Replies

• keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing weight control is such a hard thing but never give up. I see you have drive to make changes and you know the right way to do it so keep up the good work and hit the gym you will love it.
  • Auddygal
    Auddygal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I've actually been to the gym frequently, and I LOVE IT! It releases my stresses and negativity. :)
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    nice... great you learned from you first run. That rapid isnt always better.

I went through the same thing.

:-)
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, great progress you have made both physically and mentally.
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your post. I have been there...multiple times. We CAN and WILL beat this! Best of luck to you.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with slow and steady wins the race. This site has really helped me too. I've learned so much over the years. I wish I knew then what I knew now because I might not have gotten to this weight to begin with. I can't change the past, though, but I'm going to make a better future for myself.

Thank you for sharing this. Wishing you continued success with this site! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!