Workout help

Options
Hi all,

I am new here, so Hi :)

I go to the gym 5 times a week, first thing in the morning for between an 45 mins and an hour and i have created a routine that i do every morning.
This basically comprises of about 10 minutes on the bike to warm up, 2000 metres on the rowing machine and then i go onto do leg extensions, leg curls, leg adduction & abductions, lat pull down, pec deck and a couple other things. usually 3 sets of 15 on the highest setting i can manage without causing any damage to myself.

My question is, does this sound like a good routine or should i be doing something different?

Any help would be great, thanks :)

Replies

• fool4greys
    Options
    When we (my mother and I) joined the gym they showed us the machines and set us up on a routine for 3 days a week. But we actually work out 5 or 6 days a week and just do the different routines each day.

1st day - arms and upper body machines
    2nd - legs
    3rd day - entire body

We started with 2 reps of 10 on each machine for 2 weeks, then move up to 2 - 12 reps for 2 weeks, then 15 reps for 2 weeks.

Next we moved up to 3 reps of 10, 3 reps of 12, then 3 reps of 15 each for 2 weeks.

In the meantime we also increased our weights as we felt we could (usually at a new cycle). I know this routine might sound easy but it really has helped build our strength and endurance.

Hope this helps!
  • JMCD86
    Options
    Hi,

Personally I like to do more dynamic things, ie free weights and exercises rather than the machines. I have a different session each day and repeat for a couple of weeks but increase weights/reps etc. I like to do stuff like dead lifts, wall balls, kettlebell complexes, lots if weighted squats, burpees etc as these don't target only one or two muscle groups, plus I find the machines monotonous, but that's just my preference :) there is lots if workout suggestions on the Internet, look into bodybuilding.com they have done good stuff there
  • lawyermom81
    lawyermom81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look into Bodyspace, specifically Jamie Eason's 12 week routine. Its very easy and you go to the weight room using machines, free weights, body bars and eventually work in cardio. I have been doing cardio since the beginning. I have lost so far 12lbs with diet and this exercise. My body is changing its shape. I had 2 kids and my hips have completely slimmed by at least 3 inches. Its a really good workout and I really like it. Also, you can download the app and use it while at the gym going from machine to machine. Its very easy to use!

Good luck!
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish with your routine?

What ever the answer to that question is, I think you need to rethink how you are approaching the weight portion of your routine. Machines are great in moderation but they have a static movement pattern that sometime neglects the development of supportive muscles that aren't targeted directly. This is one of the main arguments when people discuss the superiority of free weights compared to machines.

I am a strong advocate for using freeweights in your lifting routine. You get more bang for your buck by performing compound movements that can target more than one muscle group at a time. I also think it would be best in your case to look into a full body program that runs 3 days a week. This is the make up of the typical beginner program.

Once you decide on your goal, look into starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 in order to establish a strength base then you can branch out from there once your gains from those programs have ceased.