Overweight and anorexic?

Options
My mom recently called me anorexic. My first thoughts were, why? I’m 10 kilograms overweight. How can an overweight person be anorexic? Anorexic people are thing, almost dying looking people who never seem to eat. I binge on weekends yes, diet strictly on weekdays and kills the body to exercise but that doesn’t mean I’m anorexic. I don’t purge. I eat healthy though I calorie count. And then I came across Fitnesspal and wrote down what I ate for the day: 2 slices of toasted wheat bread (139 cal) for breakfast, 1 serving of shawarma (280cal) for lunch and a cup of mapo tofu (250cal) and I was quite shocked to see that what I ate for the day was just not even close to 700.

My initial reaction was…this must be fake or maybe the calorie count was wrong. I’m pretty sure I’ve eaten to at least 1000 for the day. I didn’t feel hungry with 700 cal. I felt just right, no headaches, no dizziness or anything. Then I kept reading that for a person my weight and height with an average of an hour and a half of exercise needs at max 1400 calories to sustain herself every day. It just didn’t make sense. I needed to double my 700cal to 1400, every day to lose weight? Wait—what? I need to eat to lose weight? Why?

Apparently at a measly 700 cal a day the body goes into survival mode where it functions at highest however maintain its weight to prevent sickness or whatever can happen to your body when starved. Therefore a 5-day 700cal intake and a weekend of 1600 cal intake will offset all the hard work of the weekdays. I mean, how seriously wrong is that? I have to maintain a 1200 at least, 7-day diet without the weekend glory of 1600 to lose weight. The body grabs all it can from the weekends as it gets ready to face another 5 days of 700cal. I never thought of it that way.

As for anorexia, I still don’t believe I have it. I pick at food and really portion control but I don’t think I’ve hit that mark and I don’t plan to. I need to keep my calorie intake as stable as possible and continue on this journey. I wanna lose that 10 kilograms the right way and I’m re-starting today.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The average anorexic eats about 800 calories a day. It's an illness, and has nothing to do with size.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Assuming your pictures are current, what makes you think you need to lose 10kg?
  • Lemster33
    Lemster33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So if you ate 800 cals instead of 700 cals would you loose weight or would that offset thing still apply?
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    yups =) thanks for that...I wasn't actually worried if I am and I have read dozens of articles disproving it...but part of me would deny I have any kind of eating disorder. *sigh*
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    Yes the picture was taken last week...why do I need to lose 10kg? to prove to myself I can...I was always, always overweight as a teen, am a bit overweight now and I wanted to reach my goal of 55kg for a 5"5" height. Dieting for 10 years now, yo-yoing too, so this resolutions is to prove that I can do it =)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ..why do I need to lose 10kg? to prove to myself I can...do it =)

What a great reason to put your body under the stress of under-eating.

Or, you could eat a sensible amount and focus on being healthy for now and for the rest of your life.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yes the picture was taken last week...why do I need to lose 10kg? to prove to myself I can...I was always, always overweight as a teen, am a bit overweight now and I wanted to reach my goal of 55kg for a 5"5" height. Dieting for 10 years now, yo-yoing too, so this resolutions is to prove that I can do it =)

Oh I see. But as most people here will tell you, aiming for an arbitrary weight target on the scale rarely leaves people with the physique they are looking for and 10kg seems like a lot for someone your size.

Perhaps a better goal would be to try and improve your health and fitness levels? That way you can move towards your goals while eating a healthy amount of food (so that you'd have energy to work out for example).
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Your body adapts to what it has to work with, if you consistently eat 700 calories a day, the metabolism will slow down to cope with this for as long as it can.
    Ideally you would look to be about 1400 calories a day, you would have more energy, it makes a difference to your hair and skin, it would however cause a temporary weight gain for a couple of weeks, whilst the body adapts to actually getting the calories.

Calculate what you TDEE and deduct 20%, if your struggling to eat because you're not hungry then try calorie dense food (nut's; seeds; avocado etc), small amount have a lot of calories and allow you to up the calories whilst not feeling uncomfortable full.
  • sandraeward
    sandraeward Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I started with MFP a couple weeks ago, it told me that I was putting my body into starvation mode when I was just eating what I normally ate too. AND I was 40 lbs overweight. I was doing pretty much what you do eating very little during the week and gorging on the weekend
    So I researched it and discovered that, yes starvation mode is a real thing. For the past 10 days I've been forcing myself to eat 1200 cal/ day, and I've lost 8 pounds.
    I don't think you are anorexic. I do think you are trying to be healthy, and you have learned something about a healthy diet. So put it into practice. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    DSM diagnostic criteria for anorexia are:

Refusal to maintain a body weight that is at or above the minimum normal weight for your age and height

Intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even though you're underweight

Denying the seriousness of having a low body weight, or having a distorted image of your appearance or shape

In women who've started having periods, the absence of a period for at least three consecutive menstrual cycles (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/anorexia/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20033002)

At most, you'd be more likely to qualify for EDNOS :^) I wouldn't worry about anorexia.
    solid first post: an internet non-diagnosis.
    You have NO FRIGGING idea if she has anorexia or not. All you do know is you can find anorexia in the DSM.
    THINK pls. A glance at your friends list and your profile suggests that you are pro-ana and your weight loss ticker looks like an advertisement for zombie thinspiration. Please don't share that philosophy here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: whatever the issue, eating 700 calories (on your own, without strict supervision from a doctor, and heck, even then a lot of the time), is a BAD BAD BAD idea. There's a reason it's called yo-yo dieting, and you're going to have another up cycle. And possibly more.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Your mom is worried about you. If you were my daughter, I would worry, too. You are already at a healthy weight, and not only do you refuse to fuel your body properly, you don't seem to see that you are harming yourself.

Take a look at the website for eating disorders. It can give you information about the different kinds of eating disorders (you may not have one, but it's possible and worth a look), and help you find professional assistance if you need it. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Judging by your photo's, you don't need to lose any weight!
    You don't eat enough calories, hence why your Mum is concerned.
    I'm no expert, but at 5'5" and 25 yrs old you should be eating at least 1800 cals a day.
    If you haven't got a big appetite, you can get your calories by adding things like Nuts, Avocado, Peanut Butter, Cheese or Banana's.
  • larsen626
    larsen626 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Your mom is worried about you. If you were my daughter, I would worry, too. You are already at a healthy weight, and not only do you refuse to fuel your body properly, you don't seem to see that you are harming yourself.

Take a look at the website for eating disorders. It can give you information about the different kinds of eating disorders (you may not have one, but it's possible and worth a look), and help you find professional assistance if you need it. Good luck. :flowerforyou:

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

From someone who was super mobid obese BMI 73 now just obese BMI 37 and happy to be where I am so much happier and healthier
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You can be overweight and have an eating disorder. But it doesn't sound like you are overweight. It isn't healthy to eat so few calories and it might not be affecting you now but it will do if you keep it up long term x
  • squirrelray
    squirrelray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. please tell me where you found this information? (i know that sounded *****y, my bad sorry)
  • kitkalyz
    Options

Oh I see. But as most people here will tell you, aiming for an arbitrary weight target on the scale rarely leaves people with the physique they are looking for and 10kg seems like a lot for someone your size.

Perhaps a better goal would be to try and improve your health and fitness levels? That way you can move towards your goals while eating a healthy amount of food (so that you'd have energy to work out for example).

And yes! being physically strong is also one of my main goals =) I guess in my head the physique never really mattered, it was all about the number, it was always about numbers...but I do want to be stronger and I have begun adjusting my calorie in-take day by day. It's a struggle to find and plan food that are healthy and will hit that 1200 to 1300 cal count (I'm starting with this for now). I've just been used to this "punishment mode" and on top of that I will always be a fat girl at heart hehehe I will always love food and fear it at the same time. But thank you really...no one has ever told me that my size is "fine"...
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. please tell me where you found this information? (i know that sounded *****y, my bad sorry)

I know right...I was shocked too..I was so curious though. I read a couple of blogs and medical researches about it. Basically, they are trying to say that just because your not super skinny doesn't mean you can't be anorexic.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The average anorexic eats about 800 calories a day. It's an illness, and has nothing to do with size.

^^^^^^'

This
  • kitkalyz
    Options
    You can be overweight and have an eating disorder. But it doesn't sound like you are overweight. It isn't healthy to eat so few calories and it might not be affecting you now but it will do if you keep it up long term x

I am though...my weight is still at the very tip of healthy, BMI wise