Extra Weight Affect on Appearance, Age, etc

Options
Obviously society says thin is what looks good. I posted some before and after pics in my profile. They are work headshots and I was wearing the same suit and similar shirt and tie. I received so many comments that I looked younger. I am 42 btw. I was curious why extra weight and fat makes one look older? Maybe its a stupid question. Does it make the skin not as "fresh"? Do people just associated extra weight with aging? Does extra weight affect hair loss? My brother put on a lot of weight, I mean a lot. I noticed his hair thinning out during this time and had a very dull look to it.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    idk, i think i look older since losing weight, but i get to shop in the jr dept (yeah, I'm one of those), I'm more active, move more gracefully and spryly, also i smile more, so my overall appearance may seem younger.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person but I have seen a lot of folks who appear younger when they lose weight. Maybe they just look happier and more energetic?

I myself apparently look more like a woman... I uploaded some old pictures into a celebrity look alike generator online and my old pictures always matched up with male celebrities XD!!! My newer pics match up with women. So apparently losing weight has made me more feminine? lol
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I've seen some before/afters where the person looked happier after, so that made them look younger/better. I've also seen people look older after losing a lot of weight because of skin slackening. In general, carrying extra weight is unhealthy, yes this can affect circulation and skin, clarity of skin, etc. Be happy with the compliments and keep doing what you're doing!
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I just compared your two pictures, and I also think you look younger now. But I honestly can't figure out why! I went back and forth several times, but I still couldn't figure out what about you looks younger. Very odd!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    also you look more tan in your after photo. tan=youth for some reason. Even though it has quite the opposite effect, people are still drawn to it. As E-40 eloquently puts it, "put a tan on it then see what it do"
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You look younger in your slimmer profile pic. Well done on your weight loss :)
    A slimmer face generally has a more youthful look. I think as we age we have to be careful not to lose too much as that can be more aging :/ and yes, we are pre-programmed by all the images in the media to think slimmer=younger.
    I look younger than I did, but I also feel close up that my wrinkles are a bit more noticeable now there is no fat puffing them out!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    also you look more tan in your after photo. tan=youth for some reason. Even though it has quite the opposite effect, people are still drawn to it. As E-40 eloquently puts it, "put a tan on it then see what it do"

Yes, my pop my with a pin fat face pic was taken in February just before I started. The not as fat face picture was taken two weeks ago. Much tanner (and happier).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this makes sense but to me, a double chin, especially if quite draggy, makes me think of an older person. And that's what struck me as the major difference between your two pictures. I mean, obviously you've thinned out all over but face wise, the chin was what caught my eye.

Nice progress! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your pictures look great. I think whether or not someone looks older or younger is going to be dependent on the individual.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say that the tan probably helps (perception-wise), since as a society we see tan=healthy and healthy=young. I don't study sociology, but that is my impression.

I will say that I think you look younger because you still have some meat on your face (in a good way). I've seen people who lose lots of weight and have a long face and/or extra skin and just look sunken in and older. I think rounder faces tend to look younger overall.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this makes sense but to me, a double chin, especially if quite draggy, makes me think of an older person. And that's what struck me as the major difference between your two pictures. I mean, obviously you've thinned out all over but face wise, the chin was what caught my eye.

Nice progress! :)

Yikes - double chin. You're dead on but sometimes I had trouble admitting to myself I was that fat. I guess that is why I used to avoid mirrors all the time.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think there is a fine line where losing just enough makes you look younger and then you lose too much and you look older. Especially for women. I'm very scared of that line but I'm not there yet...
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think also, that as we age and our metabolisms get slower, weight comes on easier... and so fit / thinner is equated with youth while not so fit / thicker is equated with aging...not on a conscious level I don't think though, which is why its hard to give a concrete reason "why"!!

I have pictures of myself from only 3 years ago, that people assume was from when I was in my mid 20's... and for sure, when I was thinner, I kept getting asked what I major in (I live right by a college) and way too young guys for me, being flirty with me. After gaining weight, people now assume Im in my early to mid 30's... 40 pounds essentially aged me by about 10 years!

It's bitter-sweet, on one hand, because Im 37, its nice to not look so young and get hit on my kids (yes, they are kids to me lol) anymore, and I'm taken more seriously too...but on the other hand, I miss the gush of compliments for how young I look. But thats just ego speaking =P I would be happiest to be back to a healthy weight yet still look around my own age.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    People sometimes look older when they lose weight due to face sagging, wrinkles, or using an unhealthy weightloss method. However, I think that most people look younger because being heavier can make you look more frumpy. I think that there is an invisible line where a person starts to look more worn out and less healthy, which translates to older looking. It's kind of a loss of freshness and vitality. When you lose some weight, increase activity, and hopefully increase the amount of vitamin-rich foods that you eat, some or all of that vitality returns and you all of a sudden look younger.

BTW, great job!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think the after photo makes you seem a little older.

I look older to me, too. The fat puffed up ares where wrinkles would've been and when the fat began shrinking, the wrinkles began deepening.

You look really good in both pics. You have hot girlfriends, too. All men will envy you. :)
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My word you do look younger, and more distinguished! i wonder if that is because you are holding yourself taller in the later picture? ( the distinguished part i mean )
    I am not sure why, I am fat and people think I am younger than I am, afraid when i lose the weight i will look older :ohwell: Fingers crossed my outcome is as good as yours :smile:
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about extra weight, but I do know most people look younger with just a bit more meat on their bones as they get older...by this I mean most people don't look good at their high school weight as they age...our skin loses elastisity (wish causes sagging and fine lines, etc) and an extra 10-20 pounds over that weight that was ideal in your youth helps your face to maintain more that look of youthful plumpness. When we get too thin as we age, our faces in particular tent to look drawn and bones look more prominent giving that sharp look. It's kind of a fine balance I think between the two extremes.

I think a part of losing weight tending to make most people appear younger probably has to do with feeling better about one's self and, as a result, putting a bit more effort into appearance. I know I get more lazy with my hair etc. if I feel frumpy already. I so think to an extent that fat is associated with age. Most people don't have an issue with weight when they are young.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think in my case it was the fact that I was treating my body better. Before I was pounding alcohol, smoking cigs and eating crap. Now I am sober 7 years, eat a nutrient dense diet and drink butt loads of water and have not smoked a cigarette in over 3 years.

I look younger at 46 than I did at 36.
  • shexy16
    Options
    I'm really fat, 43, and people think I'm a lot younger than I really am. The fat fills in my face wrinkles. That being said, I'd like to not be fat...lol

I actually think you look younger in the before pic :-\
  • KIZGNARR
    KIZGNARR Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think your facial features are more defined since you have lost so much weight... you look great! I love the new pic... and you definitely look like the smile is coming from the inside in the after pics! Keep up the GOOD WORK!!