Need new lowcarb ideas please. Sooo bored with current

Options
I carb cycle mostly because it's the only thing that works anymore for me to lose. But I am getting sooooo sick of the same (low carb) foods I eat. It's mostly lunch I am bored with. I'm not super picky but I seem to eat the same things out of convenience. I cook dinner every night but there are hardly ever leftovers. I for lunch I usually have either chicken or pork tenderloin with a side of some sort of veggies. Other days I have a salad with boiled egg and a little chicken or tuna.

Does anyone else run out of ideas for low carb? I find I will go back to eating processed food out of boredom but that stuff makes me awful and bloated. What are some different go to low carb foods you turn to? The only things I don't like are cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I have tried them a million different ways but can't choke it down no matter what.

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I don't eat keto-low carb, but my calories/macros demand that I do keep my carbs on the lower side (under 80 or so).

Get creative with your salads! So many delicious meats (grilled steak, grilled chicken breast, salmon, shrimp, fresh tuna, italian deli meats, etc etc etc) that you can season in a million different ways, add some toppings like cheese, nuts, maybe a very small amount of fresh or dried fruit, avocado, BACON, salsa, olives, etc., and then just about ANY vegetables. And so many options for dressing! Good olive oil and good balsamic vinegar with a bit of salt and pepper is a fave. Seriously, I totally get how salad can become boring if you eat the same type and toppings every day, but think outside the box! It's possibly the most versatile meal out there.

Or, make fun dips for veggies. I made a baked spinach dip over the weekend for a party we had, and the leftovers have made an excellent accompaniment for cut raw veggies. I've been eating just that as a snack, but you could easily have it as a side dish with some chicken or something. Also, omelets are good if you're at home (I know that's a little weird at lunch if you're at work).

Or, just double your dinners!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this isn't organized, I'm just typing as I think of things:

Add things like PP mentioned to your meal like bacon or avocados.

I bring frozen pizzas if I'm in a bind and then scrap the toppings off. I suppose it would be cheaper to keep a bottle of pizza sauce, some mozzarella cheese and pepperonis, put it all in a bowl and melt it.

Switch up your salad dressings/dips for your salads or to dip your meat in.

Lettuce wraps instead of sandwich bread. Depending on how picky where your carbs come from, there are low carb wraps out there.

Cheeseburger plus toppings with no bun
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you have a Jimmy John's near you, you can get any of their sandwich as an unwich (lettuce wrap). I usually get it with extra tomato. And the iceberg lettuce is nice and crunchy.
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What about soups? They are my go to when I am out of ideas. That or some sort of egg bake. It's amazing how awesome eggs taste when mixed w/ a little cheese and broccoli or topped w/ salsa.

If you have a Carrabbas in your area and are ever in a bind for a meal, get a bowl of their minestrone. It's A-MAZING!!
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great receipes if you google it. One that I like and is great for on the go is a spinach, onion, cheese, crustless quiche made in muffin tins.
  • kclynn7
    Options
    Lots of salads, tacos with lettuce for a wrap instead of tortilla, chicken or turkey burger with no bun, wrap up lunch meat and cheese and throw in the oven until the cheese melts, eggs....
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    No-bean chili. Make a ton of it in the crockpot, freeze in individual containers, thaw and heat up as needed.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i keep lettuce leaves, sliced meats, sliced cheese, mayo, and mustard in the community work fridge and make lettuce wraps. i try to keep my lunches on the small side so that i have plenty of wiggle room when i make dinner. but you could easily add other toppings (i'll third the suggestion of avocado and bacon).

another thing you can do is pick up a rotisserie chicken and a bag of mini bell peppers at a nearby grocery store. mix them with mayo and you've got a kickass chicken salad, or mix the mayo and chicken, halve the peppers, and scoop. this also works well with the larger peppers when they're in season (meaning cheap).

mini bell peppers and cream cheese also works well. you can get packages of individual pouches of philly cream cheese at costco.
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Pinterest account? There are so many recipes on there, it's almost overwhelming!

This is one of my fave bloggers/pinners Pinterest board-

http://www.pinterest.com/sevimel/i-breatheim-hungry/

And this is my recipe/food board, everything is gluten free, some paleo/primal and I've started to post a lot of low carb recently-

http://www.pinterest.com/glitterfrosting/just-eat-real-food/
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm carb cycling too, for low carb days I've yougurt and almonds for snacks, Greek Salad with Feta cheese either with grilled chicken,boiled eggs or just the salad and sometimes I make egg casserole with some cheese and veggies . It is very delicious!!
    Hummus is very nice with some celery sticks!! And you can also try Chili without beans. Hope this help you!
  • ekolmus
    Options
    My favorite low-carb lunch is as follows:

- 1/2 to 1 medium avocado
    - juice from a lime wedge
    - 2 tablespoons roasted tomatillo salsa
    - minced pickled jalapeno
    - 1 can tuna or salmon, drained well
    - salt and pepper to taste

I fork-mash the avocado until it's smooth and creamy, then add the other ingredients one at a time and stir. The fish usually takes a bit of fork-mashing as well to incorporate thoroughly. In total it's 260-400 calories with 3g of net carbs and 8-14g fiber.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    When low carbing I like to make cauliflower rice. I eat that with curry chicken, baked chicken, stir fry...anything I'd normally like to eat with rice.

Nice romaine leaves and use for tacos instead of an actual tortilla. Or stuff with tuna or anything else you find yummy.

If you like beans I make my own black beans and top with grilled chicken, avocado, onion, jalapeno, tomatoes for a delish burrito type bowl. Beans are a great protein source and though you get a good carb count you get a good fiber count as well which makes net carbs a lot less.

Pinterest is awesome!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I bring frozen pizzas if I'm in a bind and then scrap the toppings off. I suppose it would be cheaper to keep a bottle of pizza sauce, some mozzarella cheese and pepperonis, put it all in a bowl and melt it.
    I make what I call Italian stew. It's essentially really thick pasta sauce without pasta. Jars of pasta sauce, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, spices, sausage, and goat cheese. Super yummy (I'm sure you could top with mozzarella if you wanted).

I cook in huge batches on the weekends and then freeze individual portions. If you do that with 3-4 different dishes, you have a good mix. I typically at least have shredded chicken on hand (I cook 10lbs at a time in the crock pot) for salads, with veggies, to make chicken salad, tacos, whatever. Then I'll do venison stew or the Italian stew, chili, something hearty that is relatively low in carbs. The batch cooking really helps, and having several things helps mix it up. It does mean a few long days cooking, but I think that's worth it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    *bump* :D
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    My list has spanish omelet, make it like a crustless quiche with the veggies and meats you like.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Being bored just translates to being lazy. There are more recipits on the Internet then you could make in lifetime.

Maybe change your outlook to food as nutrition rather then entertainment if you are to lazy to look up new receipts.

Then you can just eat your soilent green every day and entertain yourself with other things in life.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Being bored just translates to being lazy. There are more recipits on the Internet then you could make in lifetime.

Maybe change your outlook to food as nutrition rather then entertainment if you are to lazy to look up new receipts.

Then you can just eat your soilent green every day and entertain yourself with other things in life.

:huh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, I was amazed at how few calories there are in frittatas, and it can reheat well. I can eat half of a huge one for about 500 something calories (and that was a TON of food).

Also, I want to know what a receipit is because apparently I'm lazy...
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Options
    Seriously! Thank you all!! Just having new ideas thrown out there has helped!!! I wasn't really looking for recipes but simple quick ideas and that's what you guys gave me!!!

I forgot all about lettuce wraps lol. I used to eat them all the time. I have been at this for over 5 years now and I tend to forget things I got sick of in the past.

I also like the low carb tortillas too. I forget beans are good protein too. I know they are Darby but like someone mentioned they are full of fiber.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to my grocery trip Friday now!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Usually when people get bored of eating the same thing over and over again, it's because they're eating the same thing over and over again out of convenience. I'd just say try to get more adventurous with your meats and veggies. There are many of different cuts of meat you can learn to prepare, and a whole host of vegetables that are relatively low in carbs. And there are tons of different types of fish, particularly at some of the nicer grocers. If you invest in some cookbooks and allocate a bit of time for cooking, you will have tons of options to try.