Not losing my belly...

Options

Replies

• karynimrie
    karynimrie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 and my waist measures 29 inches.......its the muffin top that i hate!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are including MUFAs at most meals Mono Unsaturated Fatty Acids. Basically, you have to eat healthy dietary fats in order to lose belly fat. I especially like the flat belly diet cookbook for these recipes. It's important to include things like avocado, nuts, coconut oil etc. in moderation. Be careful of added sugar and simple carbohydrates. They can go straight to the middle. Lots of ab exercises will help. It helps release the fat from cardio faster. Hope this helps! The last time I lost my belly for a long period of time I did lots of pilates and walking. :)

No. MUFA's are great for the body and metabolism. Simple carbohydrates and added sugars do not go straight anywhere in a defict. They are used for energy just like the rest of the calories you eat. Ab exercises don't do anything except strengthen the muscles under the fat.

Please go back and read the link I posted.
  • karynimrie
    Options
    Thank you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know what to tell you. Usually I'd say you have to lose more weight but you're already at 120. I weigh 143 and my waist is smaller. It's probably just genetic and body shape. Weight train so you like the look of it better?
  • karynimrie
    Options
    I guess its just going to take some time although it is very frustrating and yes.....the females in family gain it in the stomach....its gross!
  • pattigorman
    pattigorman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Love all the replies, true and very helpful.

Another tip I've learned: The Gut Buster/Calming breath. Not only will it help your gut, but it is a 'calming - stress reduction' breathing technique. Take in breath through your nose, breathing it into your gut to the count of 9 (your gut should look like a round balloon). Next - Using your mouth in the form of an 'O' such as around a straw, blow the air out starting at the area below your belly button (3 count) then blow it out your mid abdomen - belly button section (3 count) then the upper abdomen - area just below your chest (3 count); your gut should look like an ending parenthesis ) when completed. Do it whenever you can all during the day, from here on out. I do it especially whenever I'm driving, easy. My best to you.
  • hrh2009
    Options
    Maybe try this (if you haven't already...).
    1) Cutting out all refined sugars, flavourings and sweeteners, processed/packaged food and wheat... I think you'll be suprised with what happens and how fast.Much of it could be bloating too... maybe eliminate some bits from your diet that make you feel puffy and try intro'ing them back in one by one to check if they aggravate your stomach.
    2) Be careful of secret sugars/sweeteners hidden carefully on labels, even in diet or fat free foods (supermarkets lie well!) e.g. aspartame (a toxic sweetener), glucose syrup etc. If you eat like our ancestors did (clean, natural, non-packaged, raw (when possible), non-processed/chemically enhanced, and natural sugars only like those found in fruits, organic honey and vegs) and it still doesn't work for you, get a health check to check for other causes as I'd be very suprised if the above didn't help you lose at all ...
    3) Also, keep your metabolism revved with plenty of HIIT/other fast paced cardio... try to exceed 30mins with your heart rate raised as much as is safe for you, to start burning fat.
    4) Try not to eat too close to bed time (e.g. not after 7:30pm ish)... although you'll still digest food, our digestive system slows down whilst we sleep and you aren't mobile at the time to be using those cals up.
    All the best with your journey :).
  • usmcmp
    Options
    1) Cutting out all refined sugars, flavourings and sweeteners, processed/packaged food and wheat... I think you'll be suprised with what happens and how fast.Much of it could be bloating too... maybe eliminate some bits from your diet that make you feel puffy and try intro'ing them back in one by one to check if they aggravate your stomach.
    2) Be careful of secret sugars/sweeteners hidden carefully on labels, even in diet or fat free foods (supermarkets lie well!) e.g. aspartame (a toxic sweetener), glucose syrup etc. If you eat like our ancestors did (clean, natural, non-packaged, raw (when possible), non-processed/chemically enhanced, and natural sugars only like those found in fruits, organic honey and vegs) and it still doesn't work for you, get a health check to check for other causes as I'd be very suprised if the above didn't help you lose at all ...
    3) Also, keep your metabolism revved with plenty of HIIT/other fast paced cardio... try to exceed 30mins with your heart rate raised as much as is safe for you, to start burning fat.
    4) Try not to eat too close to bed time (e.g. not after 7:30pm ish)... although you'll still digest food, our digestive system slows down whilst we sleep and you aren't mobile at the time to be using those cals up.

1. Sure, removing those can help bloating for some people. If she has muffin top as indicated it's fat, not bloating.
    2. Calories and macros are far more important than eating clean. You can eat clean and still eat more than your body needs.
    3. HIIT and other cardio increase total calories burned through the day, but they don't "rev" your metabolism
    4. Our digestive system doesn't slow down when we sleep. Our metabolism doesn't either. If she's in a calorie deficit she'll burn them off instead of storing them.

In reality her issue is that she has lower lean mass than you and me. That means for her weight her body fat is still too high to have a lean stomach. Eating clean is often an easy way to cut down on calories without feeling deprived, but it's not essential to losing fat or maintaining a lean physique. She needs to work on increasing her lean mass and decreasing her body fat.
  • hrh2009
    Options
    Agreed in principal... (about ur last sentence... body fat too high etc) but that's not to say we know enough here to know for sure it's fat related and not an underlying health issue. I agree with much of what you wrote... and what works for some, doesn't work for all. What I wrote is what I was taught but I'm not a fat loss expert... just someone in a forum, lending my 2c of advice based on what worked well for me, my family, friends and our clients at work (fitness co).
    Also... as far as I'm aware and based on what PTs and Nutrutionists have always drummed in to me... if someone eats clean (i.e. not a diet laden with sugars and cr@p) and burns more than they eat speaking generally, they won't store fat as much as they'll burn it... if it isn't burnt, that's when excess is stored in fat cells around the butt, thighs, tummy etc (which is truer for women than men supposedly due to the way we are designed to retain fat around these areas more to allow for nurturing children etc).
    Just what I was taught but please... I by no means think I hold the fat-burning gospel over here :) but maybe "there's more than one way to skin a cat" as we say here in the UK....

1. Sure, removing those can help bloating for some people. If she has muffin top as indicated it's fat, not bloating.
    2. Calories and macros are far more important than eating clean. You can eat clean and still eat more than your body needs.
    3. HIIT and other cardio increase total calories burned through the day, but they don't "rev" your metabolism
    4. Our digestive system doesn't slow down when we sleep. Our metabolism doesn't either. If she's in a calorie deficit she'll burn them off instead of storing them.

In reality her issue is that she has lower lean mass than you and me. That means for her weight her body fat is still too high to have a lean stomach. Eating clean is often an easy way to cut down on calories without feeling deprived, but it's not essential to losing fat or maintaining a lean physique. She needs to work on increasing her lean mass and decreasing her body fat.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Seriously, ladies! Have you seen this woman's abs? The link she posted is everything--all of it--you need to know about getting a great stomach. Stop trying to come up with alternatives. This is the way: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • hrh2009
    Options
    Maybe this snippet explains it better than I did (more sciency :)...)
    Belly fat is stored when the combination of excess calories meets the hormonal influence of cortisol and insulin. This is important to understand because those losing weight who take a purely caloric approach may find that the fat around their belly seems to burn off at a much slower rate or lag behind all together. This is because belly fat is as much a hormonal phenomenon as it is a caloric one.
    Now looking at the link between a sugary diet and insulin... how would elimination of sugary foods not reduce belly fat?
    Wheat... allergic maybe.
    Sugar... not so much.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

Wait, did I read that correctly? 29"? That doesn't sound like a "huge gut" to me, but I could be wrong.

Focus on strengthening your core muscles and do some research on body recomp. If you still feel you're fluffy in the middle right now, it might just be that you have little to no ab strength/definition and need to focus on strengthening those muscles.

Edited for clarity.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Also, uscmp's advice. Take it. Seriously.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Belly fat is stored when the combination of excess calories meets the hormonal influence of cortisol and insulin. This is important to understand because those losing weight who take a purely caloric approach may find that the fat around their belly seems to burn off at a much slower rate or lag behind all together. This is because belly fat is as much a hormonal phenomenon as it is a caloric one.
    Now looking at the link between a sugary diet and insulin... how would elimination of sugary foods not reduce belly fat?
    Wheat... allergic maybe.
    Sugar... not so much.

It takes excess calories. That's exactly what your copy/paste says. It's the combination of eating too much and hormones (carbs cause insulin spikes, not just sugar). If she's in a deficit then she's not adding to belly fat. If she's in a deficit she'll continue burning fat from every place she stores it whether she eats sugar or not.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Wheat... allergic maybe.
    Sugar... not so much.

It takes excess calories. That's exactly what your copy/paste says. It's the combination of eating too much and hormones (carbs cause insulin spikes, not just sugar). If she's in a deficit then she's not adding to belly fat. If she's in a deficit she'll continue burning fat from every place she stores it whether she eats sugar or not.

This.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

The easiest answer may be to wear higher waist pants that aren't as tight. I see that you are 46. Hate to tell you, but as we get around this age, our hormones change and we start carrying more weight in our midsections. It is next to impossible to get back the slim waists that we had in our 20s and 30s. At 120 lbs, you are at a good weight for your height. You may want to concentrate on building muscle and strength, and just accept you will need larger pants, or a higher waist, to not have the muffin top. Sorry.
  • jendan40
    jendan40 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had 6 children and my body likes to keep some extra around the middle! Some friends and I have had great success with the Wheat Belly Diet. I use it with Paleo to lose. I am just starting again because it is hard to avoid wheat and grains especially for me when 1) kids are home and 2) I am on the run. After 3 days of being faithful to it, my tummy is considerably smaller. I feel better too. Good luck!
  • usmcmp
    Options

The easiest answer may be to wear higher waist pants that aren't as tight. I see that you are 46. Hate to tell you, but as we get around this age, our hormones change and we start carrying more weight in our midsections. It is next to impossible to get back the slim waists that we had in our 20s and 30s. At 120 lbs, you are at a good weight for your height. You may want to concentrate on building muscle and strength, and just accept you will need larger pants, or a higher waist, to not have the muffin top. Sorry.

You might want to check out Sarauk2sf. It's not next to impossible, it just takes a change in mindset.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing fat. Are you doing any strength training? It can't hurt to strengthen your muscles, including your abs. Then when the fat comes off, you'll have a nice firm-looking middle.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've lost 11 lbs. in the past couple of months, but I am just now starting to fit into some pants in the next smaller size. (And not all; some are still too snug.) My belly hasn't gone away as much as I'd like, although it's definitely smaller. My upper torso has slimmed considerably, and I've bought smaller bras, but my belly is diminishing more slowly. I have about 12 lbs. to go.

I am in the same spot! I am almost to target (also have 12 pounds to go) but my little buddha belly is not cooperating. My abs are getting quite strong and I can poke my belly and feel them. I have lost a lot of fat in my chest, neck, arms and legs but still am holding onto fat in the belly, a little in the thighs and my butt. I think weight loss for women works from the outside in, with the belly last to go. I have a feeling these last few pounds are going to take a little longer!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

You might want to check out Sarauk2sf. It's not next to impossible, it just takes a change in mindset.

Sara does look amazing, and she works hard for that body. That is why I didn't say it was IMPOSSIBLE, but close. I don't know what Sara's waist measurement is now, but it is probably not as small as it was when she was in her 20s. Sara looks dang good, but she is not super-skinny like the OP appears to want to be. Sara focuses more on building strength than weighing less.

My suggestion was for the OP to just be a bit more realistic about what is possible, and still have a life outside of dieting.
    Muffin tops generally come from tight, low-rise pants. At only 120, I can't imagine that the OP has a LOT of fat left to lose, and a 29" waist at her age is not uncommon. The way I am built, my super-skinniest waist I ever had was 27", and I was underweight at the time, and in my 20s. Some women are just built with thicker waists, and as we age, it gets even more disproportionate.