Over 50 and struggling

Options
Hi there, I am a married woman, mother of 2 and 52 years of age. I am struggling over the last year to lose even 5 pounds. I gained over 10 pounds since last year and am starting to be uncomfortable in my own skin. Clothes are tight, etc. I stay within 1300 calories a day, and exercise at least 4 days a week. Still I struggle. I know menopause is approaching which may be causing the lack of weight loss........but can anyone give advice or insight if in the same situation.

Thanks in advance for any input...........

Replies

• stewyh
    Options
    Hi Lisa
    1300 cal seem a little low to me what is your height and activity level ie work ect
    Stewy
  • BirmingDan
    Options
    Hi Lisa.

My wife gets aggravated that we men lose faster than women. But if you do what you described, and use MFP to track the details, you will see results.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa. Join us here!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

Lots of women discussing what you're experiencing. And more. cheers
  • SueColumbia
    Options
    Lisa,

There are several really good, supportive groups of women over 50 who are facing the same challenges. find one that feels right. I find it helpful in keeping me on track
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would suggest weight training, eating back your excercise calories and tracking faithfully. 1300 may be too low for you. MFP always puts people too low in my opinion. look at other calculators like tdee.
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a married woman, mother of 2 and 52 years of age. I am struggling over the last year to lose even 5 pounds. I gained over 10 pounds since last year and am starting to be uncomfortable in my own skin. Clothes are tight, etc. I stay within 1300 calories a day, and exercise at least 4 days a week. Still I struggle. I know menopause is approaching which may be causing the lack of weight loss........but can anyone give advice or insight if in the same situation.

Thanks in advance for any input...........

Being a woman in her 50s I can relate. All of the hormone issues going on, etc. I exercise most days of the week and keep calories low. Found a great group of women over 50 here who have helped me. Come visit: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/60074-over-50-women-s-club
  • Lyndastan
    Options
    I am 51 and notice the weight is creeping on. I have always been active, enjoy exercising and even though I have a desk job have never had a problem with gaining weight - until recently. I can't control the fact that I sit behind a desk all day. As long as the weather is nice I walk at lunch and workout 3 days a week. However, I am noticing now that I need to be way more diligent about being sure to watch what I eat and keep exercising. I have been lifting weights for years and took the summer off - but wow - the weight seemed to come on faster. So back to serious weight training again.
    So my advice is this - get serious about weight training and be sure to hit upper and lower body. You will see a difference in how things fit quicker then just cardio alone and your body will burn calories more efficiently. Also, challenge yourself on the weights - some women tend to go too light but you really need to select a weight that gives you a challenge. You should be sore a day or two after your workout - that's good!!!
  • spolan
    spolan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI Lisa,
    I can empathize with you as I feel and am experiencing the same thing. I am 50. My GYN told me that it is extremely hard to lose even a pound when at our age. She highly recommends lots of exercise and basically clean eating. I know for me that is really hard. I think I finally got my head on straight this time so I can follow thru with my changed way of eating and adding walks into my evening.

I hope you start to see results. The other thing is salt. Are you watching your salt intake? My best to you.
    Sue
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i will be 50 on October 5th. I also have a desk job and exercise regularly including boot camps. I have gained 10 lbs since January even though I track my calories and eat very healthy. I am very depressed today. I just completed menopause.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would suggest weight training, eating back your excercise calories and tracking faithfully. 1300 may be too low for you. MFP always puts people too low in my opinion. look at other calculators like tdee.

I'm over 50 and cant lose a pound unless I hit the gym regularly. If you are not weight training than a least do resistance training. If I focus only on cardio the weight still doesn't come off as it should.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I found reducing carbs to about 75-100g and limiting sugars to about 40g helped me break thru a years long plateau.

Good luck!
  • fitness4life78
    Options
    Weight and Strength Training is your best bet IMO.
  • HI Lisa,
    I can empathize with you as I feel and am experiencing the same thing. I am 50. My GYN told me that it is extremely hard to lose even a pound when at our age. She highly recommends lots of exercise and basically clean eating. I know for me that is really hard. I think I finally got my head on straight this time so I can follow thru with my changed way of eating and adding walks into my evening.

I hope you start to see results. The other thing is salt. Are you watching your salt intake? My best to you.
    Sue

I turned 56 today. At age 50 I lost 50 pounds in 6 months. At age 53 I started running. I ran a half marathon yesterday. I so wish GYNs and other physicians would stop perpetuating the myth that it's almost impossible to lose weight at a certain age. Simply not true!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and yes, I think being 51 menopause age has a lot to do with it. When I look back my emotions were all over the place even though I didn't realize it at the time, it was like a black cloud over me at certain times of the day and I am not like that at all now and the weight comes off easier now.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I gained 60+ pounds during my 50s. At 59 years old I got serious about losing it. 63 pounds in 53 weeks gone and now (for the last 4 months) am learning how to maintain. So far, so good.

I agree with so much of what has already been stated. 1) It is possible to lose weight no matter what age, 2) It may be a little more difficult for some during menopause because of body/hormonal changes. 3) Exercise is essential for improved health and it certainly helps with changing the body composition. If you can find an exercise/activity you like, GREAT. If not, do something you don't enjoy.

Takes time and commitment. There are no short cuts.
  • Stefmoray
    Stefmoray Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am trying reducing carbs as well (no bread, pasta, rice) at the suggestion of a weight loss doctor. The scale is still not budging after 2 weeks. So frustrating! Anyone in our age bracket, please add me as a friend!
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great thread!
  • PeterStef003
    Options
    Lisa,

I don't know which part of the world you are from so I'm going blind here. Certainly in England and Wales anyone can regularly see the Practice Nurse at their GP's surgery for regular advice on diet, exercise, weigh ins and support. Try to keep a food diary for one week before your first appointment.

If you are not from the UK, it may well worth checking out if the same facility exists in your part of the world.

Peter
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'll be 50 soon and I'm exercising hard for 10 years now. It takes time to see results. And you really have to push yourself.

Good luck!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Lisa,

My rule of thumb is:

20% Gym time
    80% Nutrition
    110% Attitude!

Lift progressively heavier things when in the gym. Use cardio as a warm up.

ETA - Eat more. Just a guess, but about 1650 to 1850 calories a day to start and adjust from there.