Anybody else notice....

Options
Short Back-Story : 2 years ago, I lost about 60lbs, did it the "right" way ; eating clean, working out. Everything was fine, until my Mom got married and her new husband kicked ME and my 3 cats out. Lots of stress & depression, and binging, and fast-food eating (felt awful, ALL THE TIME) - Now I'm back to where I started, just about.

ANYWAY. Anybody else ever notice how BAD junky food make you REALLY feel (not "guilty" wise) after you've eaten so healthy for so long? Its like my body regressed, and became super "sensitive" to crappy foods. (No duh, but, is this super noticeable to anybody else?)

An example : I felt awful last week, and kinda "down" so, I ordered a pizza - literally the only unhealthy food I'd had in a long while. Was fine until the next morning : I had no energy for about the next 3 days, my 'system' was all jacked-up. I had the "runs" until I was raw, took some immodium, and even after that passed, nothing was solid yet. It just REALLY tore me up. I was really fatigued, and "blah" and didn't care - about anything. All I could do was lay on the couch, and play some stupid King games.

TLDR : Anybody else notice how sensitive their systems have become to processed/unhealthy foods, since they've stopped eating it, and started eating "right"?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Well, that's probably more about the pizza makers ability and quality of products used. Some are just greasy messes with others transforming reality. Saying that I don't really consume fast food from big box restaurants that have formulated recipes from big box suppliers.....It's mostly taste though and not really anything else and I always regret it when for some reason I feel compelled to venture into these places and the regret generally starts with the first bite, but alas, I'll never learn.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... The most noticeable for me was several years ago when I used to be a vegetarian, did meal planning and cooked everything I ate from scratch. It wasnt for health reasons or anything, I just lost my desire to eat meat and decided I may as well plan "real" meals...

After about 6 or 7 years, my brother in law made my favorite dish for me (what an instigator!) and after that my taste for meat came back, and along with it my old eating habits. Pretty much instantly, I felt run down, lethargic, sluggish, and overall horrible.

More recently though, I notice the trend all the time... when I mind what I eat and am on a roll, I feel *great* then when I eat something processed / junky, I feel it right away, most times while Im still in the middle of eating it and I cant even finish.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Yes, my system gets really sensitive. For me, it is the salt. The food doesn't always have to be fast food, a sit down formulaic restaurant can do it too. I feel really awful the next day. Sometimes guts complain but mostly lack of energy and wondering what is wrong. Almost like no sleep or a hangover but I did not drink. I thought it was just me and my aging body.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza 3 or 4 times a week. I feel fantastic :) Pizza has protein, fats, and carbs. All of which I need. Nothing unhealthy about if for me.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Well I used to eat junky food - high carb, high fat - until I was about to bust. Would feel like crap for a couple hours. Now when I eat some junky food it doesn't take as much, probably a normal portion, to make me feel bloated. I feel so great on days I do very low calorie but the power of food is strong.
  • kea9f
    kea9f Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Totally! And I'm not nearly as good about eating healthy as most of the people on this site. I try to eat well most of time, but when I cheat, I cheat pretty badly (think doritos...). Even so though, when I'm on the road traveling and stop at McDonalds for something easy I can eat while I drive, I feel sluggish and nasty all day. It might just be all in my mind, but hey, whatever works to keep me out of the fast food places!
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Definitely, I've had a few days of being unhealthy and it made me feel absolutely rubbish, I never used to feel this way when I ate junk!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I totally notice when I eat unhealthy foods. Just one meal from McDonalds can make me feel bloated and sluggish for the rest of the day and sometimes even zaps my energy the following day. That being said when I fall off the wagon, I fall big time and it takes me awhile to get back on so I eat crappy foods and feel like crap for sometimes weeks at a time. Then I finally get tired of feeling like crap and start eating better and within a few days, I totally feel better and have more energy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Could be something bad with the ingredients. Could be because of a food sensitivity (dairy, gluten) you weren't aware of. Could be just because the pizza was super greasy and you haven't had many fats. Could be you just caught a stomach bug around the same time. Hard to tell from one single instance.

I've had a couple of situations where pizza or a cheeseburger gave me the runs and I avoided them for a while and then when I had them again, I was perfectly fine. Complete fluke...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,203 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Oh, for sure. I'm currently recovering from a 'crap food-fest'. Just the other day realized I've been feeling awful lately, then realized my diet has been... um... questionable. I'm not sick, I'm just eating too many 'crap' foods. They sure taste delicious, but are totally not worth the 'runs', and lethargy I feel after eating them for a while. Here's to whole foods most of the time, with pizza tossed in on occassion.

Just curious - I have an extension question - h as anyone else gone from obese to a healthy weight and started to suffer ill effects from a few drinks (gin and tonic/bloody mary/beer/whatever your pleasure)? Since I've gotten healthier, some alcohols really tear me up.
  • landiekate
    landiekate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... The most noticeable for me was several years ago when I used to be a vegetarian, did meal planning and cooked everything I ate from scratch. It wasnt for health reasons or anything, I just lost my desire to eat meat and decided I may as well plan "real" meals...

After about 6 or 7 years, my brother in law made my favorite dish for me (what an instigator!) and after that my taste for meat came back, and along with it my old eating habits. Pretty much instantly, I felt run down, lethargic, sluggish, and overall horrible.

More recently though, I notice the trend all the time... when I mind what I eat and am on a roll, I feel *great* then when I eat something processed / junky, I feel it right away, most times while Im still in the middle of eating it and I cant even finish.

Ugh, I've notived that too. Most of the time I can't finish it, and it leaves me upset. I feel like I wanna kick myself for wasting money I KNOW I shouldn't have spent, on something that wasn't worth it in the first place. I tell myself something along those lines EVERY time I eat something processed and it winds up making me feel bad. It's like I can't learn though. I wind up doing it again at some point. :/ The taste just isn't worth it anymore.
  • landiekate
    Options
    Oh, for sure. I'm currently recovering from a 'crap food-fest'. Just the other day realized I've been feeling awful lately, then realized my diet has been... um... questionable. I'm not sick, I'm just eating too many 'crap' foods. They sure taste delicious, but are totally not worth the 'runs', and lethargy I feel after eating them for a while. Here's to whole foods most of the time, with pizza tossed in on occassion.

Just curious - I have an extension question - h as anyone else gone from obese to a healthy weight and started to suffer ill effects from a few drinks (gin and tonic/bloody mary/beer/whatever your pleasure)? Since I've gotten healthier, some alcohols really tear me up.

Oh big time! I use to be able to down a pint (that size of bottle that'll about fit in cargo-pant pockets) of like say, Bacardi in one night, no problem. Now it takes me maybe 2-3 shots, and I'm DONE. I don't really drink anyway though.
  • landiekate
    Options
    Well I used to eat junky food - high carb, high fat - until I was about to bust. Would feel like crap for a couple hours. Now when I eat some junky food it doesn't take as much, probably a normal portion, to make me feel bloated. I feel so great on days I do very low calorie but the power of food is strong.
    "power of food is strong" P:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it usually has nothing to do with the "crap" food that you are eating.

It has more to do with the fact you have changed your GI track and then introduce a food that is higher in fats and carbs typically and it upsets the system you have created.

This is a common problem people have- they eat "clean" then they go have a "cheat" meal and feel bad then say - that food is JUNK FOOD it made me feel bad. Which is ascribing blame to the wrong party. Sure it made you feel bad- but not because it's inherently bad- it's because you just got used to not eating it.

I eat mostly "clean"- but I make it a point to have pizza once a week- or every other week or so- that way I can enjoy it and still make sure my system isn't getting fubared up when I want to eat something a little different.
  • landiekate
    Options

It has more to do with the fact you have changed your GI track and then introduce a food that is higher in fats and carbs typically and it upsets the system you have created.

This is a common problem people have- they eat "clean" then they go have a "cheat" meal and feel bad then say - that food is JUNK FOOD it made me feel bad. Which is ascribing blame to the wrong party. Sure it made you feel bad- but not because it's inherently bad- it's because you just got used to not eating it.

I eat mostly "clean"- but I make it a point to have pizza once a week- or every other week or so- that way I can enjoy it and still make sure my system isn't getting fubared up when I want to eat something a little different.

Interesting point of view and reasoning o:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fast food. I had the runs all the time when I was obese. Now, the last time I got it was 3 weeks ago when I had a Rita's sundae (was still totally worth it). And I eat a lot of 'junk' food, but typically it's desserts from restaurants or ice cream at home.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like a bout of food poisoning to me. While eating 'clean' can make some people more sensitive to fats and other things, often a binge or such just makes people feel a bit bloated or have an upset stomach for a few hours, not an extended illness like you describe.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Interesting point of view and reasoning o:

it's less of a point of view and more of a reality- people start eating "healthy" and they cut a bunch of stuff out and when they eat it again they get sick- then blame it on the "stuff"

happens all the time.
  • mommyofanangelboy
    Options
    It definitely has made me feel "down" & decreased my energy & motivation. It make me feel "dirty" too. Its strange, but it does. I try to make the "unhealthy foods" into "healthy foods", but switching up ingredients. It tends to help & satisfies the craving :wink:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Short Back-Story : 2 years ago, I lost about 60lbs, did it the "right" way ; eating clean, working out. Everything was fine, until my Mom got married and her new husband kicked ME and my 3 cats out. Lots of stress & depression, and binging, and fast-food eating (felt awful, ALL THE TIME) - Now I'm back to where I started, just about.

ANYWAY. Anybody else ever notice how BAD junky food make you REALLY feel (not "guilty" wise) after you've eaten so healthy for so long? Its like my body regressed, and became super "sensitive" to crappy foods. (No duh, but, is this super noticeable to anybody else?)

An example : I felt awful last week, and kinda "down" so, I ordered a pizza - literally the only unhealthy food I'd had in a long while. Was fine until the next morning : I had no energy for about the next 3 days, my 'system' was all jacked-up. I had the "runs" until I was raw, took some immodium, and even after that passed, nothing was solid yet. It just REALLY tore me up. I was really fatigued, and "blah" and didn't care - about anything. All I could do was lay on the couch, and play some stupid King games.

TLDR : Anybody else notice how sensitive their systems have become to processed/unhealthy foods, since they've stopped eating it, and started eating "right"?

OP--maybe this will help. Quoted words, right, guilty, sensitive, down, system, runs, blah, right

ALL CAPS--all the time anyway, bad, really, really, tldr

Try this, you didn't do it right(because you gained the weight back)

TLDR: IIFYM.

Good luck.