Quinoa Taste

Options
I have heard quinoe is better than rice but how's the taste?

Replies

• mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has a nutty flavor to it...at least that's how I would describe it.
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    any recipe suggestions for beginners?
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love grains in general (rice, quinoa, barley - whatver!) and you can pretty much mix anything you want into them. This is me and my boyfriend's favourite quinoa (as a side dish to a protein and vegetable):

2 cups of cooked quinoa (still warm)
    1 tbsp of butter
    1/2 cup of light feta cheese (crumbled)
    2 green onions (chopped)
    a handful of fresh dillweed (chopped)
    garlic salt and black pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy! It is so fresh and light tasting! Deeeeeeelish. :love:

As I mentioned earlier, you can pretty much mix in anything you like. Try experimenting with sauteed veggies, cheeses, meats, and different spices or sauces. Get creative with your grains. Good luck!:drinker:
  • Leahkat1020
    Leahkat1020 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe for a quinoa tabbouleh. It's basically a salad with tomato, cucumber, and garlic with a dressing made of olive oil, pepper, lemon juice, and salt. I would modify this recipe though, since I think that 1/2 cup of olive oil is way too much. I think 1/8 of a cup would be plenty and you could add extra lemon juice.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-Tabbouleh-395939
  • HelenaCavanaugh
    HelenaCavanaugh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like Half Quinoa and Half Brown Rice with Rosemary, Cayenne Pepper, a bit of Kale and Chia Seeds. I add shrimp for protein.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's very good if you cook it with a little low sodium chicken broth. Then add feta and spinach. Win.
  • RaceB
    RaceB Posts: 18
    Options
    Try it plain or with a dash of salt. It tastes GREAT just as it is, and for me anyhow, I'm more likely to eat something easy to make. 1/4 cup plus 3/4 cup water, 3 mins in the nuker, and then 2 mins to stand. Tastes like more 'rugged' version of cream of wheat. give it a shot!
  • BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is still on the bland side, so it is actually very versatile. I usually add broth and/or seasoning when I make a batch for the week. I mix it with ground turkey, veggies and feta for a bowl style meal. I also make a breakfast scramble with 1 egg, 1/2c egg white, spinach, maybe an bit of ground turkey or chop up an turkey bacon slice. Scramble and top with hot sauce or salsa. One more, I have tried is with yogurt and fruit added, cereal style (when made without broth). So, there's a start.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    To me it taste bland but I love to cook with it and season it to either match or compliment my main dish.

Caribbean fish dishes I like to use a coconut milk based sauce.

Poultry I go with sage and or thyme and mix in a few pine nuts or cashew and mushrooms

Red meat I might just use some diced onions and or mushrooms. Mustard seed is good also

Basically just season it with your favorite herb or spice , throw in a few nuts or veggies to make it interesting
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I've done a recipe similar to this just no onions.

http://www.recipe.com/greek-quinoa-and-avocado-salad/

Quinoa
    Spinach
    Avocados
    Tomatoes
    Feta

Top with an olive oil, lemon juice, salt mixture
  • mark2605
    mark2605 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love it on its own with some olive oil. It's a complete protein (the only grain that is), so you don't *need* to add anything to it. Otherwise, I find it goes great with stir-fried veggies, or melting a little cheese into it once you've drained off any excess water (but what doesn't go great with cheese?). Otherwise, it'll work however you would normally use rice, but in texture is a bit more like couscous.

The one thing you must do is rinse it and rinse it very well before you cook it. I'd do this even if the package doesn't say you need to. The tiny seeds have a coating called sapponin on them to ward off animals in the wild, and if you don't rinse it off properly, it can taste a bit nasty. Rinse it properly and the taste is great, much more of its own flavour than rice. I usually soak it over night and then rinse it with a sieve for a good 5 minutes before cooking it.
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP Guys and Gals!

Here is my opinion, having been a former private chef who specialized in 'different'and usual foods ( when it was unusual) :)

Quinoa originally came on the market as the new super food a few years ago, despite its said to be an ancient grain having been around for 1000's of years. ( this might just be to add to the hype of it being good for you) I have seenit in red, black, brown and green.
    It had a great run and I enjoyed cooking with it making soups, cakes, breakfast cereals, puddings, salads, hot dishes, biscuits and breads- anyway my clients wanted it, as they thought it was the new and greatest thing. Dont get me wrong, quinoa is a fantastic source of amino acids, and an extremely good source of non meat protein. This is why it is believed to be awesome for you.

However, recent studies have shown that it does contain some slight traces of a harmful toxin ( nothing to be concerned about though) - However I do advise to soak it in clean water over night to help extract this toxin before you cook it. Dont worry its not going to harm you if you consume a little of it. i have also tried to sprout it and due to its farinaceous nature it started to ferment fairly quickly, so that's a sure way to get very ill.

It has also been proven that it is not very Low GI meaning it produces a fairly decent insulin spike in your system there for counter acting the so called healthy aspects of it. We all know that in the weightloss and health game that excess sugar converts to F%T!
    Like anything it should be consumed in conjunction with a healthy balance diet and I wouldn't recommend eating it for breakfast , lunch and dinner ( like I have had to prepare in the past for clients. ( various ways of course)

It is pretty simple to cook- here is how I do it.

1C Quinoa-soaked over night Rinse off with fresh water
    2C water

Put into a small pot, bring to a boil. Take off the heat keep the lid on and dont open it for 15mins! stir/fluff up with a fork.

Anyway, for what its worth that's my 2 cents.
    good luck Train well, eat better!

Jaseau
  • Jaseau
    Jaseau Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    'Great post there Mark, I should have read it first before writing my bit! hehe :)
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. I definately give it a try. Sounds delicious
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP Guys and Gals!

Here is my opinion, having been a former private chef who specialized in 'different'and usual foods ( when it was unusual) :)

Quinoa originally came on the market as the new super food a few years ago, despite its said to be an ancient grain having been around for 1000's of years. ( this might just be to add to the hype of it being good for you) I have seenit in red, black, brown and green.
    It had a great run and I enjoyed cooking with it making soups, cakes, breakfast cereals, puddings, salads, hot dishes, biscuits and breads- anyway my clients wanted it, as they thought it was the new and greatest thing. Dont get me wrong, quinoa is a fantastic source of amino acids, and an extremely good source of non meat protein. This is why it is believed to be awesome for you.

However, recent studies have shown that it does contain some slight traces of a harmful toxin ( nothing to be concerned about though) - However I do advise to soak it in clean water over night to help extract this toxin before you cook it. Dont worry its not going to harm you if you consume a little of it. i have also tried to sprout it and due to its farinaceous nature it started to ferment fairly quickly, so that's a sure way to get very ill.

It has also been proven that it is not very Low GI meaning it produces a fairly decent insulin spike in your system there for counter acting the so called healthy aspects of it. We all know that in the weightloss and health game that excess sugar converts to F%T!
    Like anything it should be consumed in conjunction with a healthy balance diet and I wouldn't recommend eating it for breakfast , lunch and dinner ( like I have had to prepare in the past for clients. ( various ways of course)

2C water

Put into a small pot, bring to a boil. Take off the heat keep the lid on and dont open it for 15mins! stir/fluff up with a fork.

Jaseau

I just learned something! Thank you for sharing :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Interesting, Now I understand why my mom taught me to rinse it so throughly.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it but the hubby says it tastes like it was grown in the dirt in the forests of Peru!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    ... the hubby says it tastes like it was grown in the dirt in the forests of Peru!

I'd agree with this. I've tried it several different ways, and it still tastes dirty/grassy.
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    Hi MFP Guys and Gals!

2C water

Jaseau

Thanks for the post. Interesting information I will definately keep in mind
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    I don't mind it but the hubby says it tastes like it was grown in the dirt in the forests of Peru!

that's what i'm afraid of LOL