Not getting enough calories

Options
I'm maintaining a really healthy and balanced diet, but I've found I'm not getting enough calories. Today, I had 3 meals and a snack and still only reached around 900 calories, and then I walked for 40 min. I'm not sure what to do. I am recovering from an eating disorder, so I have difficulty keeping snacks in the house, even healthy ones, because if it's there, I will eat it.

Replies

• JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Eat some foods that are good for you but high in calories ... Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, walnuts, avocados etc . Hope this helps. :-)
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Like Joanne said, get some healthy foods that are still high in calories. Banana's and almonds are my go to foods when i need some extra calories. Great taste, great nutrients, and over 100 calories per serving. Even a medium granny smith is 70 calories.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining a really healthy and balanced diet, but I've found I'm not getting enough calories. Today, I had 3 meals and a snack and still only reached around 900 calories, and then I walked for 40 min. I'm not sure what to do. I am recovering from an eating disorder, so I have difficulty keeping snacks in the house, even healthy ones, because if it's there, I will eat it.
    Surely that's what you want if your not eating enough. If you're only eating 900 calories that is neither healthy or balanced despite what you think. I suggest going back and seeing the Dr/Medical professional who's helping you deal with this in order to get strategies to eat a healthy amount of food
  • frayst
    Options
    Eat some foods that are good for you but high in calories ... Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, walnuts, avocados etc . Hope this helps. :-)

^^ What she said. These foods are high in calorie because they are high in fat. Fat is ENERGY, even more than carbohydrates so it is a win-win. One thing I'll mention though, there's nothing wrong with having a few days that are under. There's no need to force yourself to eat more than what satisfies you, unless you find that you are starting to feel weakness and cravings. Listen to your body!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    We can give you suggestions, but you'll have to figure out how best to fit them in your diet and how to work around whatever is keeping you from eating more. If you're not already seeing someone who can help you with any lingering distorted eating patterns you might have, it would be a good idea to start.

All of these can be a part of a healthy diet:
    Nuts
    Nut butters
    Cheese
    Avocado
    Steak
    Less lean cuts of meat
    Olive oil, coconut oil, butter, or other cooking fats
    Full calorie dressings, condiments, and sauces
    Full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    Ice cream
    Dark chocolate
    Seeds (sunflower, flax, chia, etc)
    Protein shakes, smoothies, and bars
    Honey or other sweeteners
    Whole eggs
    Baked goods (homemade or store bought)
    Pasta
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I agree with JoanneKendric. Peanut butter, protien bars, nuts, cheese...Whatever you go with though, don't get the reduced fat version...you want those extra calories. I'd say even if it's a bag of M&Ms or a can of non diet soda it's better to have those additional calories if that's what gets you there.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You're logging as a reaction to eating. If you think you're strong enough, try using MFP as an in-advance food planner. Log all of your food for the day first thing in the morning or the evening before, ensuring you get the right foods in the right amounts to reach your calorie goal. Maybe, after this careful planning, you'll be resistant to break your plan by overeating or undereating.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^^ What she said. These foods are high in calorie because they are high in fat. Fat is ENERGY, even more than carbohydrates so it is a win-win. One thing I'll mention though, there's nothing wrong with having a few days that are under. There's no need to force yourself to eat more than what satisfies you, unless you find that you are starting to feel weakness and cravings. Listen to your body!

I'm not sure that telling someone in recovery from an eating disorder that their disordered eating habits are okay is good advice.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I know some people may come in here and say otherwise, but you are not getting a healthy and balanced diet on 900 calories. My wife is about the same build as you and if someone told her she could have a healthy and balanced diet at 900 calories and be full, she would tell them to get bent.

Do what Joanne suggested. Add some higher calorie foods. Replace some of the zero fat products you may eat with a higher fat version. Fat is not a bad macro as long as you do not eat too much. Because it got such a bad rap in the '80's and '90's most people do not get enough of it.
  • toefreckle
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know 900 isn't enough, which is why I posted. My issues in the past have always been tied to overeating, so this is new to me, and my go to has always been carby things like chips, breads, crackers. Cottage cheese sounds great! I def won't eat all of that in one or two days.