Is protein finally a 'thing' now?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Has anyone else noticed all the 'protein' products that keep appearing? Cereal, granola bars, heck pasta (which is hilarious, Barilla plus advertises 17g of protein per serving as being great, except their 'serving' is 3.5oz and not 2, so it doesn't even have more protein than the whole grain kind).

Is that the new 'thing' after low fat? Would be a pretty nice change, if you ask me (except obviously most 'protein' products still really don't have enough protein).

Replies

• andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's neck and neck with "gluten free" as the new thing. :)
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It is a "thing" they do seem to be advertising.
    That said, whenever I hear the amount of protein I laugh and say "you think THAT'S high protein?"

Like those Oscar Meyer P3 thingies??~! 14 grams is NOT high protein.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    IMO just a marketing strategy
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    That said, whenever I hear the amount of protein I laugh and say "you think THAT'S high protein?"

This. My favorite is the "protein bar" with 8 grams.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/19/us-usa-retail-protein-analysis-idUSKBN0HE0DO20140919
    Though diet studies disagree about what's worse for you, carbohydrates or fat, most say nice things about eating protein, including its potential for better weight control.

U.S. consumers have taken note, and so have food manufacturers and restaurant chains. More than a dozen companies have introduced new products or meals that are "enriched" or "fortified" with protein in the last few years, and the protein push is accelerating.

In July, Taco Bell (YUM.N) started selling high-protein meals, which contain Greek yogurt options and twice the meat as in its traditional burritos and bowls. In May, General Mills Inc (GIS.N) introduced protein-enriched Cheerios, which provided a bright spot at its Wednesday earnings call. In February, Kraft (KRFT.O) started selling a "protein pack" with meat, cheese and nuts.

Protein has so far scored a big win for the companies, which are looking for new ways to beef up their profits as sales of traditional prepared foods slip and consumers seek healthier and fresher food options. The trend also has been a boon for the mostly Canadian "pulse" industry, which provides the dried seeds of peas, chickpeas, beans and lentils used to fortify many of these products.

Whether these protein-enhanced products are actually healthier is another question. Soy, lentil and pea powder - extracted from those legumes and used in everything from pasta to milk - are, in fact, good sources of protein similar to steak or eggs, nutritionists said. But many of the products they are delivered in, such as granola, cereal and breakfast bars, are often high in fat, salt or sugar.

Besides, most Americans already get almost twice the daily protein they need. The average American consumes 79 grams a day of protein, but men only need 56 grams and women 46, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

"Protein is not deficient in U.S. diets," said Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition and public health at New York University. "This is about marketing."

Some studies have said that because eating foods high in protein makes people feel fuller sooner, they tend to eat less and may be able to control their weight better. On the other hand, eating too much protein can lead to kidney disease, cancer and osteoporosis, while adults who eat diets high in animal protein are four times more likely to die of cancer and diabetes than those with low-protein diets, according to a March 2014 study published in the journal Cell Metabolism.

To be sure, people would need to consume at least twice their recommended daily amount to potentially suffer serious health consequences, according to the USDA. The recommended amount is 0.8 grams per two pounds of weight, or 80 grams a day for a 200-pound man.

"Consumers think of protein as a hard-working calorie," said General Mills Chairman and CEO Ken Powell in an interview with Reuters. That is fueling demand for everything from protein bars to Greek yogurt, he said. "It's clearly an opportunity."

As the food industry scrambles to meet the demand, the effect has been felt along the supply chain, especially in Canada where most of the ground protein for U.S. food-makers is produced.

Canada produced a record 6 million tons of pulse in 2013, up from 4.5 million tons in 2012 and 4.3 million tons in 2011, according to Pulse Canada, an industry association that represents Canadian growers and processors. Privately-held Best Cooking Pulses Inc in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, has quadrupled its capacity in the last year, and opened a second plant to process the seeds.

"I see it being a fantastic opportunity," said Murad Al-Katib, president and CEO of Alliance Grain Traders in Regina, Saskatchewan, one of the world's largest lentil and pea processing companies. "Where we’re seeing a lot of that growth is new product lines from major food companies."

BANKING ON PROTEIN

Food makers are eager to find new sources of revenue. Consumption of carbohydrate-laden foods has fallen 5 percent in the United States while consumption of protein-rich foods has risen 7 percent, according to a recent report by Credit Suisse investment analyst Robert Moskow.

Protein is becoming ubiquitous: It's piling up in extra meat servings at fast food restaurants and in everything from cereals to biscuits to cream cheese.

Dairy companies are even adding protein to milk, which already has about 8 grams per serving. Shamrock Farms, a Phoenix-based milk producer, began selling its "Rockin' Refuel" muscle building milk in 2009 with added protein. The company is now expanding the line with additional sizes and flavors because of double digit sales growth.

Food makers also are repackaging existing products to appeal to protein seekers. For example, Kraft recently began selling its "P3 Portable Protein Pack," which features its Planters peanuts, Oscar Mayer luncheon meats and Kraft cheese in one package.

The company said the P3 is "one of our big bets" for 2014. It has "helped our business attract new consumers," said Kraft spokesman Basil Maglaris, who wouldn't provide sales numbers.

General Mills, which Wednesday reported lower-than-expected quarterly profit, is counting on its protein-fortified snacks and expanded Yoplait Greek yogurt line to boost profits.

It plans to expand distribution of its recently introduced Cheerios Protein, fortified with soy and pea protein, which at 26 cents an ounce costs significantly more than the 19-cents an ounce traditional oat Cheerios.

Its Nature Valley protein bars, introduced in 2012, made over $100 million in sales in their first year. Its Yoplait Greek yogurt line, which contains twice the protein as generic yogurt, debuted in 2012 and in its first year netted $150 million in sales.

Morningstar equity analyst Erin Lash said these are impressive figures considering that 81 percent of new consumer packaged goods failed to hit $7.5 million in first-year sales in 2011.

General Mills is counting on consumers like Maryland college student Madeleine Entwistle.

"I'm cautious about the food I eat," said the 20-year-old, who said she eats a couple of its Nature Valley protein bars a day. "I would expect that it costs more because it has more nutrients. But I associate the foods as being better for me."
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    "Protein water." Wtf?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Seems like it. Still have to read the label. *shrug*
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It became a 'thing' the moment companies saw they could exploit and make tons of cash on it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    "Protein water." Wtf?

Lol what?

Nice article. Still dubious about 46g of protein a day though. I would be starving...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

The people who buy that stuff will be the same ones insisting that peanut butter is an *excellent* source of protein too. :huh:

But hey, whatever, I guess.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yeah it has become the "think". However, I have already learned, do not fall for the marketing. I have come across so much stuff now that touts being high protein and I end up laughing out loud in the grocery store aisle. Get a lot of funny looks, especially when I am by myself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

The people who buy that stuff will be the same ones insisting that peanut butter is an *excellent* source of protein too. :huh:

But 5 grams in almost 200 calories! :laugh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    We want protein. We have money. They figured it out!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Yeah, that stuff just makes me laugh. If protein isn't the primary macro, it ain't a min/maxer
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    "Protein water." Wtf?

Lol what?

Nice article. Still dubious about 46g of protein a day though. I would be starving...

Well, the recommendation is for sedentary people eating at maintenance, so it's going to be lower than for active people eating at a deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I saw high protein feminine hygiene spray at Walmart yesterday.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Meh- I buy Nature Valley "Protein Bars" there is about 10 grams in each 190 calorie bar- it's mostly nuts- some granola and then a chocolate "base" that it's been dipped in essentially- with 2 hard boiled eggs its 300 calories and 26c/22p/14f it's a great evening snack to get me through dance classes.

But I'm not delusional that 20 grams is "a lot" for the course of the day- it's just a convenient easy to eat snack.

Whatever- if they start pumping out ACTUAL higher protein things- I'm all about it.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    All I know is that if you eat those stupid protein bars, yr gonna get fat. Found out the hard way a couple years ago. And that was within a 1200 calorie a day diet.... bleh. Eat real food. Processed bars still end up being junk in the final analysis.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I also laughed at the article @SonicDeathMonkey quoted.

56g of protein a day is what the RDA value is for an adult male. I almost had that with just my lunch today. My lunch was 50g of protein. My typical breakfast, when I am not travelling, has 35 to 40g of protein.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I saw high protein feminine hygiene spray at Walmart yesterday.

*snort*

Thanks, now my coworkers are wondering why I was laughing hysterically.