Calorie counting and such... I could use some help :)

RenaeR
RenaeR Posts: 5
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
Hello out there,

I'm definitely new to this whole healthy life style thing. Would somebody mind explaining the basics to me...what is a good net calorie number to have at the end of the day? When I look at my progress report some of my day's bar graphs are negative- what does that mean? I'm sorry if these questions are silly- as you can tell I'm new. I'm a college student trying to get in shape for my sister's wedding this summer and trying to figure this all out by myself. Any other advice would be great...

Thanks!

Replies

• calorie counting is base around your weight. And when trying to lose the weight you should drink lots of water atleast 8 cups a day or more. do some walking or jogging. If you want give me your height weight and age and I will calculate a calorie counting for you to follow on a daily base
  • One tip, don't drink your calories! Soda, alcohol, even juice have a lot of calories.
  • Welcome to the healthier side...Ranae.R Anyways, I'm pretty new at this also (2 weeks) and haven't got all the answers yet. But so far I am meeting my goals. My daily caloric intake was suggested by the computer according to my weight loss goals and starting weight. After a few days of eating right, I was comfortable limiting my calories even further on days when I was relatively inactive. On days when I exercise, I eat more to fuel up. The bar graph thing doesn't seem to work right. I have some weird negative numbers too. But no worries, it is a good way to keep track day-to-day. Anyways, that is about all I know. You can friend me if you like :)
  • RenaeR
    I weigh 148 right now and I am 5 feet 4 inches. I have already figured out to lose 1.5 pounds a week that I need to consume about 1200 calories a day- would that be good? but I didn't know if that meant that after I exercise I need to eat more to still get to that amount, or if I just have that deficit of calories. The progress charts were confusing me. :/ I will definitely drink more water though! Thanks
  • when your net calories for the day is in the negative, it means that you put out more calories than you took in. when you complete your diet/fitness profile in MFP, it automatically calculates your recommended calorie intake for the day based on your activity level, weight loss goals, height, weight, etc. that number is what you want to aim for each day, more or less -- don't freak out if you're not exactly on target everyday.

when you log your exercise, it automatically adjusts the number of calories to reflect the amount of calories you've 'earned' through exercising. it's recommended that you eat at least some of those extra calories so that you're not in the negative. you'll have to do your own little experiments to see what net calorie amount is best for you. it might be that you need to eat all of your exercise calories to lose weight. or, you might not -- it all depends on your body. Hope this helps...
  • RenaeR
    THAT WAS SO HELPFUL! Thanks so much, that makes a lot of sense.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    So, here is the deal (by example), the result is what you should be eating at the end of the day.

Basic 1200, if no exercise: 1200 + 0 = 1200
    Basic 1200, if say running and burn 300 calories: 1200 + 300 = 1500 (eat around this number).

You need to eat your workout calories (the 300 in this example). Your muscle needs more calories to survive/build, and fat need about 4% what muscle needs to survive. Therefore, if you constantly under taking calories, the workout ones, your body will end up loss muscles, not fat (that's what many people refer to: body started to store more fat when one is in starving mode).
  • RenaeR
    Interesting, thank you.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    since you've prolly got a hang of it now ..Welcome :)
This discussion has been closed.