Bloating after eating

Options
Hi there, sorry if this sounds more like a rant but I'm just incredibly frustrated right now.

I always try to delay eating every day for as long as I can. I get up at around 5:30 am and don't eat until anywhere between 1:30 to 3 pm. This is only because after I start eating, my stomach bloats up and I look terrible.

I'm not sure if this is just the way I'm built (I'm apple-shaped) my stomach is always the biggest part of me and the bloating enhances it.

I rarely eat gluten; I'm certain I don't have an intolerance for it, anyway. I never consume dairy. Almost all that I eat is just fruit, vegetables, nuts, brown rice, and popcorn. Yet I bloat after eating just about anything :(

http://imgur.com/fuT2zbK it's hard to tell from this picture but my stomach is extended here just from eating a salad and fruit. It's not fair. I dislike having to go hungry for most of the day just to avoid this issue.

Does anyone else deal with this? Or is there a solution available?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You can have a food intolerance to anything, not just gluten or dairy. There is no natural food that doesn't cause problems for someone.

Since it's severe enough that you are altering your life because of it, I'd suggest seeing an allergist for testing.

If you don't want to go that route, then try probiotics.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The bloating I get is due to ibs. Could you have that? The dr diagnosed it based on symptoms. I was tested for a gluten intolerance but I was neg.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How do you FEEL after eating? It's not just a concern about *looking* bloated, correct? (just checkin)

I've had the same problem two times in my life: Once after eating bad oysters (not rotten, some special oyster sickness had infected the whole west coast) - that lasted for many months. I finally got some over the counter stuff (I want to say Prilosec?? - a doctor recommended it) and that helped a lot (took about a week for it to kick in).

The second time was after visiting Mexico - that was an intestinal bug - it only lasted a week or so but it was brutal.

Also, how much fiber are you eating? Have you tried a meal or two with no fiber?
  • shexy16
    Options
    Could be IBS...I have it and it really really makes me feel like I'm really bloated, and I feel like I'm trying to digest about 12 pair of open scissors. It is extremely painful!
  • Staceyandkids
    Options
    Don't fast that long. I was doing the same thing and gaining weight, bloated and feeling like crap all the time. I learned that when you go that long without food your body goes into survival mode when you do eat it stores everything! After learning that fact I started eating two Nature Valley breakfast bars (not packages) each morning and am back to loosing the weight and feeling 100% times better.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    solution freely available via a doctor.
    had similar, ibs-c diagnosed and treatment plan/meds in place.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    shexy16 wrote: »
    Could be IBS...I have it and it really really makes me feel like I'm really bloated, and I feel like I'm trying to digest about 12 pair of open scissors. It is extremely painful!

It was in my case sadly for like 40 years. Got heavy into coconut oil about four months ago and IBS went by by. The first few things got worse as the bad stuff died off because I did not start out taking small doses and work my way up to 8 table spoons a day over time.

Just because coconut oil made me human like again (no longer tied to the restroom if I ate) it may not be for others. Googgle coconut oil and any condition to read on the subject.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    what bad stuff?