Short girls - around 5'2 - how many net calories?

2»

Replies

• steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    I am 5ft 2 when I was still losing on about 1250 1300 and eating back some but not all of my excersize calories.. I have been maintaining for a while now and am eating up to 2000 calories a day sometimes a little over, maintaining at 7st 7 and this is line I am drawing!! Recently dropped a pound and it kind of scares me that although I have a healthy bmi I am 5 pounds off under weight!! I want to look pretty and fit not bony!!
  • Arekha
    Arekha Posts: 45 Member
    5'1" sigh! at 123 lbs, MFP has me at 1210 net to lose .5/wk. I set at sedentary and eat back exercise cals. I do go over (100 to 150) occasionally (again net). losing very slowly...slightly lower than 05/wk, but since I do go over occasionally this is to be expected. Focusing on increasing activity and getting more protein and fiber in..
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    5'3, around 128lbs and averaging 1800 gross calories.
    I am quite active (student + desk job but I try to move around as much as possible), and I lift weights 3x week.
    I have occasional "whatever" days where I don't sweat it too much (lunch with relatives, birthday party, pizza night with friends).
    I tried the 1200 route but it didn't work for me. Fast loss at first but then I always ended up supah-hungry and prone to splurging and quitting. At that time "birthday party" meant stuffing my face with food and feeling guilty afterwards. Now I just have a slice of cake, even two if it's good, a good beer and move on.

I'm losing around 2 lbs a month, which is slow but very sustainable and doable. It's taking a lot of time but I never feel deprived or stressed because of food. It doesn't feel like a diet at all. I just had ice-cream and I'm happy :wink:

ETA: you may want to incorporate some sort of strength training to improve your body composition.
    Last year I dropped to 130lbs with a combination of 1200 calories, stress and digestive issues and I had to buy new summer clothes. Then I gained back all the weight plus some (guess why?) and I started losing it in March with increased calories and strength training. This July I was 130lbs (same as last year) but the clothes I had bought last summer were all loose. :wink:
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    I am 5'0 (Shortest one on this thread! Hurrah!) and 130 lbs.

I am losing slowly on 1650/day. I don't count exercise calories. If I'm still hungry after I eat my 1650 and I worked really really hard in the gym that day or the previous day, I eat more.

9is0hj.jpg

2gsn150.jpg

I used to starve myself and eat 1200 or less, but then I decided to use my brain. I have a desk job that I'm fairly sedentary at most of the day, but I bust my butt in the gym (only 1 hr lifting session per day 5/6 days a week and no cardio). I don't think I look pudgy, but I weigh more than most people that commented on here and am eating more than most people commented on here. When I ate 1200 or less, I would end up binging. I haven't binged in months since I upped my calories.

To be fair, I did gain about 6 pounds in 4 months but I was averaging 2000+ around that time. Am losing it now slowly on 1650.
  • 98bikinisuitedlbs
    98bikinisuitedlbs Posts: 416 Member
    I'm 5 3 and hypothyroid and 46 years old. maintenance for me would be only 1450 calories. So to lose I eat between 1000 and 1200. It's slow at this point but as I only have 10 more pounds to go I'm not in a hurry because I don't look gross any more. I just keep at it day after day. The sad part is that when I finally get to maintenance I will barely be permitted to eat more than I do now. I have resigned myself to the "perma diet" because I don't want to be fat again.

I really believed this to be true for me as well... 40 with thyroid issues, I'm just destined to the "perma diet" as you put it. But really the last 10 pounds took me changing my mind set and stepping out of my comfort zone. I truly eat more than that and am losing weight while retaining muscle mass...

This is so true, I feel like the only way to lose a pound in two weeks is to eat 1200 calories. I do cheat Monday -Wednesday and I am struggling getting to my last 5lbs. I am not consistent with my calories, I eat 1800 for 4 days (typically Monday-Thursday) and then 900-1200 to try to make my weekly deficit. It's a daily struggle.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Please eat. Food is not evil - it is fuel (and tastes good). I am 5'1", 44 years old (so twice your age), have a desk job, and have a metabolic disorder (PCOS). I lose weight eating 1500 cals a day and getting exercise about 4 x a week. It may not be super fast but I don't binge, I'm not obsessed with food, and I feel good
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    You can get that low without netting less than 1200. I did it several years ago (and then ate ate ate ooops). It's going to take some time but it's just not realistic to try to lose 10ish pounds quickly at your weight. You can net more than 1200 and get down that low and it really helps to make sure you're eating the right types of food. Learn what works for your body. It might help to focus on exercises that tone your body and strength training so that you can see a physical difference in your body without having to worry about the number on the scale.