Strength & Cardio In One Day?

Options
Hi Pals,

Should I do both strength training and cardio in one day or split them up and do strength training on even days and cardio on odds?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals and your life and how much time you have.

I will do them both on the same day if I can- sometimes back to back- sometimes I come in- do cardio- get on with my day and lift later in the evening. Or vice versa.

Cardio isn't a priority to me- so I fit it in where I can.

If it's your number one concern- then do that first- and scheduling lifting around it.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I strength train 4 days a week Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. On those days I finish with 15-20 minutes of Cardio. On wednesdays I do 45 minutes of strictly cardio and this works for me. Good luck to you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been adding it in after my lifting. Nothing like doing some max squats and then spending a half hour hard spinning on a bike.

Great for two reasons, condition your mind, and get that last little bit of glycogen the hell out of dodge.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want. Cardio can be done anytime. Cardio and lifting are two different things. One does not impact the other. My trainer has had me do both a warm up and a cool down run with my lifting/cross-fit session in between. It's the lifting that you don't want to be doing every single day unless you concentrate on upper body one day and lower body the next. Your muscles need time to repair themselves after a heavy session.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

I will do them both on the same day if I can- sometimes back to back- sometimes I come in- do cardio- get on with my day and lift later in the evening. Or vice versa.

If it's your number one concern- then do that first- and scheduling lifting around it.

+1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Sure why not? I'd say at least split them up to get some glycogen restored (I do lifting in the morning and cardio in the evening).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I have done it, like circuit training before or after my swim, zumba class, bike session, etc. Or do weights and then cardio before or later.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I prefer spread out over a few days. Run, strength train, run, strength train, day off, Run, Run!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    One does not impact the other.

come again?

because they most certainly can impact one another. how important your training and goals are will dictate how much you care if they DO or WILL impact one another.

If I'm training for a marathon- and I do squat day before my long run day- but I'm so sore I can't walk- it's going to be a problem.
    My trainer has had me do both a warm up and a cool down run with my lifting/cross-fit session in between.
    warm up and cool downs are not cardio. It's a warm up and a cool down. Cardiovascular work is designed to work your heart and lungs specifically... while you're definitely going to be engaging your cardiovascular system for those- a warm up and cool down are not for work- they are for warming the body up- preparing it and then for a cool down (which is arguably unneeded)... at no point would most warm ups and cool downs be adequate cardiovascular work for a bigger picture.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I do this about 4 days a week. Morning weights when I'm at my strongest, cardio in late afternoon/early eve. Watch the fat just run off! :happy:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

+1

except for me, as a triathlete, cardio is a priority.

i've seen people in the gym in the morning, and then out in the neighborhood going for a run.

like it was said, depends on what your goals are
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is there any other way?
  • rhymal
    Options
    As mentioned, It all depends on your goals. For example My goals are to lose fat (weight) and build muscle.

There fore I do cardio and strength training on the same day all the time. Eventually when I'm satisfied with my weight (fat) I'll focus mainly on strength training.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I usually do cardio 5x a week, so Monday-Friday for a half hour to an hour.
    Then normally I do strength 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

But lately I've been getting into the habit of doing 30 minutes of cardio, and a bit of strength everyday.

It's not everyone's recommendation, but it works for me. 40 pounds gone in about 66 days.
    I had trouble losing just doing one or the other, so now I make sure to keep doing both.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do both on the same days ... I am a bit of an odd duck in that I do my cardio followed by weight training - back to back. I have ulcerative colitis that is in remission but as with any auto immune disorder that may be in "remission" I tend to deal with body inflammation. It can take almost the full 30 minutes I allot myself each morning for cardio on the elliptical to feel loose enough for lifting. It does not seem to hamper my weight training, even on those days I work the lower body.

I will do cardio first followed by one day the upper body and abs ... the next day, it is cardio and then the lower body and a different ab exercises. the third day, I will do cardio followed by both upper and lower body but at a reduced weight to basically keep my muscles from tightening up and rebelling on me (with the body inflammation, I get weird aches and pains). Every Saturday morning, I do my HIIT on the elliiptical. Sunday is a rest day, although I still will go on a multi-mile walk, just to get my 10,000 steps in for the day.