Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Understanding weightgain/the scale

Hi guys.
So I know that the scale isn't the best way to measure progress, and that wight can be affected by a lot of different aspects as water weight etc, but I really want to understand the scale weight and weight gain! If i weigh my self every day, I can gain/lose as much as 500 gram pr. day and my question is, when will I know when I've really lost fat? How long does it take for progress to be shown on the scale? I've tried to eat right and be under my net, but when I eat a big dinner I'll always weight a lot more in the morning. If I eat candy for 600 calories, I won't see the same gain instantly because the food's volume isn't big...

I just really want to understand the scale - so can anyone help? I hope it makes sense..

Replies

• SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    There are many reasons your weight will fluctuate during the day and every day. Best thing to do is weigh once a week, in the morning, after using the loo and in as little clothing as you can. Always use the same scale in the same spot x

Ps Not sure of exact science, but I hear retaining water could be a reason for fluctuations, poop... Etc
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Stop weighing yourself everyday. Unless you can handle the normal fluctuations (which it sounds like you cant) weigh less often. Your body can vary 4 to 5 pounds daily (over 2kgs) so 500g is nothing. Weigh less often and follow the trends not the absolute number
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Over time. You can compare your weight today with your weight a month ago. Doing that, most of the time, today should be less than 1 month ago.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Hi. I've lost about 50 pounds. I've been very good on my plan, but my weight has been bouncing up and down 2 lbs (1 kg) for about a week. So, why?

One thing I noticed is that I'm eating a little more sodium in the past week than I usually do. This holds some water weight.

I also stopped using a fiber supplement. I was feeling a little constipated and used the extra fiber as a regulator, and it worked very well. After cutting back, I was still regular so I stopped it. So far, so good -- but without it, I'm probably holding on to some extra solids in my bowel between bathroom trips.

I am a member of TOPS which has weekly meetings and weigh-ins. At TOPS, I'm down 1.5 lbs for the week. I also am doing the tape measurements every two weeks. All of these measurements and weigh-ins help validate my progress, and if one stalls but the others keep progressing, then I know that my good work is getting results.

I'm tracking my weight, my neck, my waist, my hips, my body fat %, and my TOPS weekly weigh-ins. So far, it hasn't happened that everything has stalled -- always something is making progress.

Good luck!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    The best way I've ever heard it put is that you often see the results of what you did this week on the following week's weigh in. Your body doesn't just take in food and stash it. It has to process. What you ate today may not make it back out until sometime tomorrow. I agree with the other posters. Either weigh less often or keep a chart of your daily weigh in's and watch the trend. You can't take each day's weight too seriously because your body isn't done figuring out what to do with the food from the day before.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    I do weigh myself every morning. (Usually before and after wakeup potty break, cause I"m still a little kid inside knowing I peed 1.2 lbs makes me giggle). That being said, I only measure in lbs. I ignore the tenth part of the scale, and I only log a new weight if I see it two days in a row. From there I just keep looking at the trend. Personally I'd rather go with the tape, though I hate that thing right now too cause I refuses to move! GRRRR!!!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    I had to put my scale away...it was driving me nuts. I measure myself and only weigh maybe once every two weeks, if that.
    What I do look at are the graphs on this app..they are trending down. Believe in your process, eat at a deficit...you will succeed.
    Good luck to you.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    True weight loss is seen on the scale of months, not days or even weeks. You have to compare your weight to where you were last month to know for sure.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    For some reason I'll be up 2 lbs during the week, then on Friday morning I'll dip down to my starting, followed by -2 or -3 on Saturday morning.

It's been like this for the last few months. It just is what it is.

All you can do is be consistent with your calories/activity, and eventually the scale will get there.

Don't give up.