Thick clothing & The Treadmill

Options
Basically I can only use the gym treadmill if i wear a thick jacket and I was looking into buying a gyno compression shirt to minimized my moobs. I really really want to lose the weight off my chest, reason being is at college I've been called out in public "are you a guy or a girl?" this was embarrassing and I don't know what to do about it.

Today I tried on a tight running shirt but I didn't buy it because of my moobs, cant even walk the store without having that feeling that people are talking about my problem. >.<

When I try push ups they sag, can't take off my shirt for the pool and they're always puffy for some reason unless after a cold shower...

uhhh.....

Replies

• KaleDOG
    Options
    I'm 21, weigh 116.5 Lbs, height 5.5
    Body Fat 18% with self US navy measurement
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    if you're 116.5lbs at 5.5, spend less time on the treadmill and look into picking up heavy weights.

stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty easy program to follow. You need to focus on recomp .
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have gynecomastia, which is common in teenage males (but can last past the teens). If it bothers you that much, go to your doc to refer to to plastic surgeon (for correction). Your insurance may cover the procedure should you desire one.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Also look into binders. Transmen and butches use them to control the puppies, some are really affordable, and they might make you feel better until you're toned up to where you want to be. I wear one occasionally myself when I'm experiencing dysphoria and they keep everything in place and are pretty much invisible under a t-shirt.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    The problem may not be as bad as you think.

But anyway, what about doing a stationary bike or elliptical for cardio, something that is less bouncy than a treadmill?
  • KaleDOG
    Options

But anyway, what about doing a stationary bike or elliptical for cardio, something that is less bouncy than a treadmill?

I feel that that the treadmill is more effective at losing fat
  • KaleDOG
    Options
    Also look into binders. Transmen and butches use them to control the puppies, some are really affordable, and they might make you feel better until you're toned up to where you want to be. I wear one occasionally myself when I'm experiencing dysphoria and they keep everything in place and are pretty much invisible under a t-shirt.

I am going to buy one from amazon, by underworks and hopefully it'll help me run without embarrassment in the gym until I am in better shape.
  • trogalicious
    Options

you burn the same calories on a treadmill that you do on an elliptical or stationary bike.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

you burn the same calories on a treadmill that you do on an elliptical or stationary bike.

False running on a tread mill is more challanging than either. I used to do eliptical for a good 45 minutes breathing heavy going at a good pace. Does not even come close a tread mill workout for 45 minutes. The gauntlet is actually probably the best if you can last.
    stairmaster-gauntlet-stepmill-lg.jpg
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You sound like you have gynecomastia, which is common in teenage males (but can last past the teens). If it bothers you that much, go to your doc to refer to to plastic surgeon (for correction). Your insurance may cover the procedure should you desire one.

What she said. Also, are you on prescription drugs that are anti-androgenic for conditions like acne? or diuretics for heart problems? Those can play a major role in gynecomastia.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    if you're 116.5lbs at 5.5, spend less time on the treadmill and look into picking up heavy weights.

stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty easy program to follow. You need to focus on recomp .

This

at 5'5" 116.5 you are not fat, you need to tone and Lifting would do that for ya.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options

False running on a tread mill is more challanging than either. I used to do eliptical for a good 45 minutes breathing heavy going at a good pace. Does not even come close a tread mill workout for 45 minutes. The gauntlet is actually probably the best if you can last.

I have to agree that a treadmill gives a better workout than the elliptical or stationary bike, though I have no scientific evidence to back this up. I sweat a TON more on the treadmill than I do on any other machine, even if the odometers claim the workout was equal. Wish I knew why this was. Hmmm
  • trogalicious
    Options

so you're telling me that somehow, your body burns a different type of calorie running than on an elliptical?

mind telling me how your body knows to burn differently? I'm all ears.

....seriously.

please.

ETA: Read my original response carefully. You know, the one that you deemed false. I never said that you burn the same AMOUNT of calories... or that one workout took more or less effort than another.

Point is, if OP hits a sustained target heart rate on the road, a treadmill, a stationary bike, or an elliptical, they will burn calories.

he's worried about moobs flopping around. That isn't going to be as likely to happen on a stationary bike or elliptical, so there's a mindset issue there. If he's freaking out about his outward appearance, then just change to a machine that's going to make that less likely to happen. He'll be more apt to be more comfortable in working out... and might be able to do so longer.
  • KaleDOG
    Options

What she said. Also, are you on prescription drugs that are anti-androgenic for conditions like acne? or diuretics for heart problems? Those can play a major role in gynecomastia.

I do not take any prescription meds at all, I did eat lots of soy back when I was vegan for 2 years but now I try to avoid it as much as possible.
  • KaleDOG
    Options

so you're telling me that somehow, your body burns a different type of calorie running than on an elliptical?

....seriously.

please.

ETA: Read my original response carefully. You know, the one that you deemed false. I never said that you burn the same AMOUNT of calories... or that one workout took more or less effort than another.

Point is, if OP hits a sustained target heart rate on the road, a treadmill, a stationary bike, or an elliptical, they will burn calories.

he's worried about moobs flopping around. That isn't going to be as likely to happen on a stationary bike or elliptical, so there's a mindset issue there. If he's freaking out about his outward appearance, then just change to a machine that's going to make that less likely to happen. He'll be more apt to be more comfortable in working out... and might be able to do so longer.

I'll try out the stationary bicycle more often than the treadmill
    I wear a sweatshirt while I run on the treadmill helps me focus
  • trogalicious
    Options

....seriously.

please.

I'll try out the stationary bicycle more often than the treadmill
    I wear a sweatshirt while I run on the treadmill helps me focus
    please consider adding some strength training to the routine, too.
  • KaleDOG
    Options
    I will and hopefully it'll help :I
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I will and hopefully it'll help :I
    as far as changing your body?
    Absolutely.
    Check out Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5.
  • onelonelysocknoble
    Options
    I'm not an exercise guru, but if you're exercising on a treadmill in heavy clothing, you must be losing a lot of water.
    When I'm dehydrated, I can never seem to exercise as long or feel as good whilst doing it.

Do the strength training to give your upper body tone and to build muscle to burn the calories whilst you're not 'exercising!' that's always a win all round.

Get yourself into something that you can exercise in and feel comfy, yes a squishing thing might be worth a go, no I don't believe it matters which machine you exercise on as long as you put in enough, but I'd say whatever you wear get enough hydration.

Good luck :)
  • formerfatboy1
    formerfatboy1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Leave the treadmill alone for now. Go to bodybuilding.com and pick up a free workout plan that involves weight training. Lift 7 days a week. Mon: Chest & Tri's Tue: Bi's & Back Wed: Legs & Abs Thurs: Delts & Traps Fri:Bi's & back Sat: Chest & Tri's Sun: Legs & abs. try this for a year. Keep your protein at 1-1.5 grams per body weight and Carb Cycle with moderate fats. Give it a try.