Calories Remaining - Don't forget to change goals with your

Options
Hi everyone, i saw a status message by someone that made me want to remind everyone; you have to 'Change Goals' in order for your calorie tracker to take in to effect your lower weights, otherwise at a certain point you will be taking in too many calories because your 'weigh ins' do not change the 'calories Remaining' totals on your diary. I'm only in to my second week on here, but I almost missed this because I assumed that my weigh in changed this, but it hadn't. That is all. I hope everyone is having a fit day!!

Replies

• klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks. Even after losing only 4 pounds, it brings my calories down 20 per day.... what a difference that could have made in the long run if I did not know.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i saw a status message by someone that made me want to remind everyone; you have to 'Change Goals' in order for your calorie tracker to take in to effect your lower weights, otherwise at a certain point you will be taking in too many calories because your 'weigh ins' do not change the 'calories Remaining' totals on your diary. I'm only in to my second week on here, but I almost missed this because I assumed that my weigh in changed this, but it hadn't. That is all. I hope everyone is having a fit day!!

Thank you! I didn't even think of that, lol. :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the phone app asks you to recalculate after you've lost 10 lbs, but the website doesn't. I'm not sure why that is! This is solid advice for everyone wanting to keep those goals current!! :D
  • worthy16
    worthy16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. This doesn't make sense. I'm not saying you are wrong - but more just trying to clarify. When you first sign up, it asks for your current weight and your GOAL weight - as well as the other info. With all that taken into consideration, it THEN calculates what you need to eat in order to lose 1 lbs per week (or whatever you decided you wanted to lose) - that shouldn't change week to week, because it tells you what you may weigh in 5 weeks if you stick to this plan. It's not giving you a calorie goal in order to lose 1 lbs in ONE week, it's PER week. You can't keep going down and down in calories every week or you are going to lose essential nutrition?
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    In order to lose 1 lb a week you have to consistently be taking in 3500 less calories a week than what you're burning. As your weight goes down, you naturally burn less calories. That's why you'll need to consume less calories as well. I hope that helps!!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I asked this the other day and was told it changed automatically once you "check in"
  • ttrussel
    ttrussel Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So if you take your calories down....should you reduce carbs, fats, etc.?
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    thanks. i wasn't aware of this either!

an aside, for those (like me) who are only allotted 1200, you're already at the minimum. pls do not try to reduce beyond that!!!
  • raising2ells
    raising2ells Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    aaahhhhh!!!!! You're right!!!!! I weighed in on Monday and my calories stayed the same.....but I just went into "Goals" and updated them (although I didn't change ANYTHING, just looked at them and clicked save), and it changed my calories I get to eat tomorrow to 40 LESS than today. Oh Boy!
    Thanks for the heads up!!!!!
    :noway:
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    aaahhhhh!!!!! You're right!!!!! I weighed in on Monday and my calories stayed the same.....but I just went into "Goals" and updated them (although I didn't change ANYTHING, just looked at them and clicked save), and it changed my calories I get to eat tomorrow to 40 LESS than today. Oh Boy!
    Thanks for the heads up!!!!!
    :noway:

ME TOO!!!! It brought me down 30 calories less a day, no big deal, but in the long run, it could have had a negative effect for sure! Especially since I struggle with eating as many calories as it was telling me too!
  • mrstyle25
    mrstyle25 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Worthy...I think I understand what your saying, but like one of the ladies stated and as even the site tells you, at rest you burn xxxx number of calories, however as you loose weight your body requires less calories to exist then you did when you were heavier, so this number always goes down. I find that a key thing to understand, otherwise when you will never hit your goal weight, you'd plateau at the 5 week number and it would take you a while longer to get their then the next person.

This is why when we are all in our smaller bodies we can't eat like we did or do now even without burning off those added calories with excercise because it is more than what we will process natively by just existing. I hope this helps clarify things a bit.
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Bumping this important info! I only just realized that I needed to change this tonight! Oops!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. This doesn't make sense. I'm not saying you are wrong - but more just trying to clarify. When you first sign up, it asks for your current weight and your GOAL weight - as well as the other info. With all that taken into consideration, it THEN calculates what you need to eat in order to lose 1 lbs per week (or whatever you decided you wanted to lose) - that shouldn't change week to week, because it tells you what you may weigh in 5 weeks if you stick to this plan. It's not giving you a calorie goal in order to lose 1 lbs in ONE week, it's PER week. You can't keep going down and down in calories every week or you are going to lose essential nutrition?

It takes less calories to operate a smaller body :). MFP adjusts your calorie goals every 10 pound loss that you record (in check-in section of site).
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Oh neat, I didn't see that it would adjust on its own after 10 pounds lost. I'm at 9 now, so I guess I jumped the gun just a wee bit! :) Thanks for the info.