"Men" big weight loss by lifting? Pics??

Options
Any guys out there lost a substantial amount of weight by weight lifting? I've tried to do P90x but i have back issues so any kind of twisting, bending, jumping movements are near impossible. I'm looking at Body beast as a primary work out tool with some stationary bike mixed in 3 times a week. I know muscle burns fat which is what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about a number on a scale but want to transform from fat to fit by lifting. Anybody done this and can you show pics for motivation? Thanks!

Replies

• dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't really focused on lifting, only recently have I been incorporating it into my workout routine.
    After about 2.5 weeks of learning proper technique and form I've managed to drop about 7 pounds in combination with 30 minutes of cardio. My brother on the other hand has no success with cardio and lost about 65 pounds doing lifting. I unfortunately don't have pictures to show you of him, but he started at around 260Ibs, and is a muscular / lean 195 now at 6'3". He had done cardio for about 5 months and had minimal results, and as soon as he started doing the weight training, squats, dead lifts, all of that the weight just melted off of him in a few months.

Not to overstep or make you uncomfortable, but as far as your back issues, are they associated with your weight?
    If that is the case I might recommend starting with just walking daily, or trying swimming as they are great exercises for the back. If the pain is associated with weight these could be good starter workouts to drop a few pounds and possibly relieve that back pain. Then maybe you can jump into a lifting regimen. I'm no fitness expert, but I feel like it may help a bit.

Also as far as not being concerned about a number on a scale is great! As long as you feel great, and feel healthy that's all that should matter. I hope someone here can you help you better than I. But good luck boss!
  • jadco123
    jadco123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'll see if my hubby will let me get a pic of him. He focused on lifting before diet and he has only dropped about 25#, but has lost quite a few inches. His belt wraps around to his back now, lol. He was fairly heavy, though. He loves lifting and used it to get himself motivated. Now that he has bulked up, he is going to start a better diet. Muscle really does burn more calories than fat, but without a healthier diet, you won't really be able to tell a lot as far as losing belly fat, etc.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    my diet is primarily paleo, high in protiens and healty fat and simple carbs, no processed foods. my back injuries are results of military related issues from years ago, now its just turned into arthritis. I'm sure losing weight will only improve the symptoms!
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I do weight training 3-4 times a week (and also run 3 times a week). I also have problems with back pain.

Over the years I have learned which exercises to avoid and developed alternatives. For example deadlifts, bent barbell rows, standing bicep barbell curls, barbell shrugs, standing side raises are out - they put too much strain on my lower back.

I find that seated side raises and seated dumbbell curls are fine, using a chair (with a back) to support my back. I do dumbbell rows with one knee and one arm on a bench. I do shrugs with dumbbells which is much easier on the back. Dumbbell shoulder presses are done on an incline bench. I'm very careful about lifting weights from the floor and use a weight rack at all times so I don't have to bend and lift heavy weights up.

I can still do a very satisfactory workout for all muscle groups while protecting my back.

I've found losing bodyfat has eased by back pain quite a bit. I also do callanetics three times a week (which is a series of deep stretching movements) which has helped considerably.
  • albudguy
    albudguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 48years old. I lifted a ton in my 20's all stupid macho guy stuff " come on pu$$y.. One more rep ". I now have no desire to do that anymore I just what to be in better shape. I now lift 3 times a week very light weight lots of reps. I also run twice ( I had knee surgery last year and to much running kills my knee) , and fast paced walk ( 4.4 mph) 3 days a week. I would recommend to start slow and work youself up. Good luck bro
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!