Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is protein finally a 'thing' now?

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    It is a "thing" they do seem to be advertising.
    That said, whenever I hear the amount of protein I laugh and say "you think THAT'S high protein?"

Like those Oscar Meyer P3 thingies??~! 14 grams is NOT high protein.

This. My favorite is the "protein bar" with 8 grams.

And has 360 calories?

I was looking at protein bars the other day and couldn't believe how few grams of protein there was to the amount of calories. Might as well get a snickers bar, it'll taste better too.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Next up: "Artisan" protein bars. I know I'll be rushing to buy them...
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    IMO just a marketing strategy

Yeah. I think it is becoming a bit of a "thing" but I think that's because people are hoping to drive up sales. I don't know how much they're really changing the products versus simply talking about it more. We may see new packaging advertising and emphasizing protein content, but I don't know how much the food, itself, changed.

I think that's got to do with more people accepting that protein helps you feel full. So the tagline of "The protein in our product will help you feel fuller, longer" is a hook they try to use, especially because one of the most common complaints made by people trying to control their weight is that they feel hungry.

They're mostly trying to grab the people who are going to make their decision based on what they see on the packaging and aren't rooting around for the nutrition information label.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    That said, whenever I hear the amount of protein I laugh and say "you think THAT'S high protein?"

This. My favorite is the "protein bar" with 8 grams.

And has 360 calories?

I was looking at protein bars the other day and couldn't believe how few grams of protein there was to the amount of calories. Might as well get a snickers bar, it'll taste better too.

Yea, the Clif Builder's Bar Max have 30 grams of protein which is fine and dandy, but have 350-380 calories. I love them as I have the TDEE to not worry about it, but damn, that could get some people in trouble if they are just casually eating those things.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    All I know is that if you eat those stupid protein bars, yr gonna get fat. Found out the hard way a couple years ago. And that was within a 1200 calorie a day diet.... bleh. Eat real food. Processed bars still end up being junk in the final analysis.

If that is all you know then:

you-sit-on-a-throne-of-lies-ELF.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But I do enjoy that they are making pancake mixes with protein (I use Kodiak Power Cakes). Now I don't have to try to make my own. 14g isn't a whole lot of protein, but it's more protein than I was getting from pancakes before, and they're super easy to make.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member

Have you checked the unit price on those things?! It's $0.50-$1.00/oz! That's $8-16/lb! It'd be cheaper, healthier, and tastier to cook a high quality steak and cut into small pieces.

The commercial is hilarious though.
    oscar-mayer-portable-protein-pack-back-to-basics-small-3.jpg
    http://youtu.be/Z98TKyPsQrU
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    All I know is that if you eat those stupid protein bars, yr gonna get fat. Found out the hard way a couple years ago. And that was within a 1200 calorie a day diet.... bleh. Eat real food. Processed bars still end up being junk in the final analysis.

But I do enjoy that they are making pancake mixes with protein (I use Kodiak Power Cakes). Now I don't have to try to make my own. 14g isn't a whole lot of protein, but it's more protein than I was getting from pancakes before, and they're super easy to make.

I just bought some of the FlapJacked mixes. They are pretty good!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Next up: "Artisan" protein bars. I know I'll be rushing to buy them...

:laugh:

Protein bars made with "ancient grains"
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member

I just bought some of the FlapJacked mixes. They are pretty good!

I agree. It's like bisquick, without all of the hassle and the ingredients are better.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    In the end, I guess it all boils down to what people believe. Some believe that you must eat x amount of grams of protein per lean body mass, and others don't. Some feel it's too much, and others feel it's never enough. One thing is for sure, everyone has their opinion about it! :happy: And seriously, either or do fine in this world.

Just like chocolate milk being labelled a good recovery food... Everyone talked about it and every other person had a jug of chocolate milk in their hand at the gym. Not so much anymore.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    A year or so ago, two of my aunts were drinking protein shakes like no one's business because they said it was "good for weight loss"

In the end, they'd both gained. Likely because they were drinking them in addition to full meals, and overconsuming calories.

Now that I've had noticeable success with weight loss they've started asking me questions.

You should have seen their faces when I told them I eat plenty of carbs, have pizza, and indulge in traditional "non-diet" foods.

It's really just the next "non-fat" "gluten-free" bull**** designed to sell crappy, processed foods.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I saw high protein feminine hygiene spray at Walmart yesterday.

was it gluten free?
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Ugh, I hate that protein is a thing. American diets are so heavy in protein--we (and our kidneys) do not need supplementation. I was in the hospital last week for an intestinal blockage from PROTEIN SHAKES. Just...ugh.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    In the end, I guess it all boils down to what people believe. Some believe that you must eat x amount of grams of protein per lean body mass, and others don't. Some feel it's too much, and others feel it's never enough. One thing is for sure, everyone has their opinion about it! :happy: And seriously, either or do fine in this world.

Just like chocolate milk being labelled a good recovery food... Everyone talked about it and every other person had a jug of chocolate milk in their hand at the gym. Not so much anymore.

You are mistaking facts with fads.

Just because people no longer carry chocolate milk at the gym doesn't mean that its macros have changed so that it is no longer a good recovery drink.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Yes! I've been saying this for several weeks. It seems like every couple of days, I see a new ad promoting the protein value in some product. Their idea of "protein packed" and mine don't really jive, though.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member

:huh:

*Looks at self*

I mean, I'm not skinny yet. But I'm not really fat anymore either. And I eat protein products. Bars, shakes, etc. I also eat like 2000 calories a day.

:huh:

You and me both. I guess we're a couple of fatties! :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Protien from meat is expensive and people's food budgets are stretched thin from rising prices.

Food companies are just capitalizeing on people ignorance.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Hmm.. the cynic in me says we'll simply see the same crap with added whey or something, to bump up the protein content, just like the cereal manufacturers have added vitamins to put a healthy sheen on their sugary crap..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Ugh, I hate that protein is a thing. American diets are so heavy in protein--we (and our kidneys) do not need supplementation. I was in the hospital last week for an intestinal blockage from PROTEIN SHAKES. Just...ugh.

Speak for yourself. A few years ago, I was actually severely protein deficient and my Optimum Nutrition powder (and now Quest Bars) helps me keep my protein levels up. I eat about 1.1-1.3g per LBM and am now not losing hair, don't have ridges in my nails, I have energy, I feel fuller on protein and as a bonus, I'm doing well minimizing muscle mass loss as I lose weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

You are mistaking facts with fads.

Just because people no longer carry chocolate milk at the gym doesn't mean that its macros have changed so that it is no longer a good recovery drink.

^Yep. And I don't know what the person above you is talking about. I continue to hear it recommended as a recovery drink.