can someone help me?

Options
Hi, my name is Patrice im 198lbs and I really really want to loose weight but I'm at a complete loss on how to do it the healthy and safe way can anyone give e any suggestions? Time is not a factor as I do not want to lose weight really quickly and within the next month I put back on all the weight or even more. I wat to look at this weight loss journey as a life style change.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Patrice im 198lbs and I really really want to loose weight but I'm at a complete loss on how to do it the healthy and safe way can anyone give e any suggestions? Time is not a factor as I do not want to lose weight really quickly and within the next month I put back on all the weight or even more. I wat to look at this weight loss journey as a life style change.

Welcome - you came to the right place!

Baby steps - log what you eat. Some things you eat now are perfectly fine. Other things will surprise you. Logging makes you accountable and teaches you portion control. Learning is what helps you keep weight off in the future. Make a few tweaks here and there. My tweaks - I eat more veggies. They are low calorie and fiber is filling. I make sure I get protein at every meal....it's the filling thing (again) and it will help me keep more lean muscle. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, it's filling also. That one took awhile for me to get my head around.

Drink more water. This can be an acquired taste. Use a filter bottle, or infuse with cucumber, mint, or ginger, fruit....whatever. Make a point to get your water in. I think this keeps some of the mindless eating (and liquid calories) away.

After your diet is squared away - move more. You don't have to do crazy hard workouts. Build up slowly....this will prevent injury and keep you more consistent. Exercise is a great lifestyle change too. Look for something you enjoy doing.

Here are a couple of good threads for newbies.........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • skv1974
    skv1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start a little at a time. Start with changing an unhealthy habit to a healthy one. Keep that habit up for a week or 2 and then add another. For example not drinking soda or like me it was sweet tea. I love sweet tea...I live in Texas Lol. It is the drink of choice here. I started by going half sweet half unsweet, now I only drink unsweet. Then I challenged myself to 5 workouts a week then I moved on to lowering my carbs. Carbs really affect me bad. I have a dry erase board at home I like to write on and list all the healthy habits I want to accomplish. :) Hope that helps.
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Start off small, maybe change up lil things, cut out sodas, cut back on sweets, when going out or to work park a lil farther away so you can get a good walk in, take the stairs instead of the elevators. and track what you eat, you'd be surprised at how much we actually take in daily without even realizing it!! its a slow process but if you stick to it it becomes habit and much easier to deal with over time!! :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Welcome - you came to the right place!

Baby steps - log what you eat. Some things you eat now are perfectly fine. Other things will surprise you. Logging makes you accountable and teaches you portion control. Learning is what helps you keep weight off in the future. Make a few tweaks here and there. My tweaks - I eat more veggies. They are low calorie and fiber is filling. I make sure I get protein at every meal....it's the filling thing (again) and it will help me keep more lean muscle. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat, it's filling also. That one took awhile for me to get my head around.

Drink more water. This can be an acquired taste. Use a filter bottle, or infuse with cucumber, mint, or ginger, fruit....whatever. Make a point to get your water in. I think this keeps some of the mindless eating (and liquid calories) away.

After your diet is squared away - move more. You don't have to do crazy hard workouts. Build up slowly....this will prevent injury and keep you more consistent. Exercise is a great lifestyle change too. Look for something you enjoy doing.

Here are a couple of good threads for newbies.........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

This right here. Read those threads and you'll come away a better person, lol.
  • hscheuerman
    hscheuerman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Set small, easy to reach goals, i.e., 5 pounds at a time. And SMILE when you reach a goal. Appreciate the plateaus as a way to stabilize before the next steps.

And remember - this is not a short term process, this is probably the rest of your life so find foods that you like that are good for you. Look at it as a new and wonderful adventure - trying out new recipes, new tastes, new foods. This can be a lot of fun.

Last but not least - do NOT beat yourself up when you lapse (we all do). A trick I learned years ago that really does work is - when you go off program, enjoy the moment, then get back on program, even if it just a glass of water before bed. This way, when you wake up, you are already on program and you can avoid those "I'll start tomorrow" excuses.

Best wishes for a wonderful adventure in good eating!!!!