Gaining Weight

Options
About 4 months ago I started watching what I was eating and being a bit more cognizant of what I was putting into my body. I occasionally went to the gym (maybe once a week) and lost like 4 lbs over that time frame. The past month I have been averaging 4 sessions a week at the gym and have been eating the same. Yet somehow instead of losing weight, I've gained 5lbs. I hadn't stepped on the scale in a few weeks because I wanted to "surprise" myself with the results. So...it was a surprise alright, just not the one I had hoped for. I know that it's not all about the scale, but my clothes seem to fit the same as well. Is there any explanation anyone can think of for this?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You could have gained water weight, a new exercise regimen can cause this sometimes; it should be gone soon.

Instead of looking at the scale, seeing how clothes fit, go off of measurements and log/write them down weekly. You could've hit a plateau, if this ever happens... try switching your macros around and it should subside.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "watching what you eat"? Do you weigh your food?
  • AmberDancer1
    AmberDancer1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been paying attention to the servings, choosing healthier options, limiting snacking, drinks are far in between. I've tried counting calories, and I can do that for a few days but then I just fall of the wagon.
  • Jilli0824
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle tissue. Muscle weighs more than fat and can cause the scale to go up while you are still slimming down.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You could be gaining muscle tissue. Muscle weighs more than fat and can cause the scale to go up while you are still slimming down.

Highly unlikely. The more probable causes are water weight gain as part of the recovery process due to increased exercises or inaccurate logging resulting in eating at a surplus.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've been paying attention to the servings, choosing healthier options, limiting snacking, drinks are far in between. I've tried counting calories, and I can do that for a few days but then I just fall of the wagon.

You do understand that the entire premise of this site and eating program totally revolves around counting calories right? If you are not going to use the advice and the protocols for counting calories on a calorie counting forum/program, what kind of advice are you looking for?
  • ElkOil
    Options

Highly unlikely. The more probable causes are water weight gain as part of the recovery process due to increased exercises or inaccurate logging resulting in eating at a surplus.

Gotta disagree with you. One month, four times a week at the gym can certainly equate to 5 pounds of additional muscle mass.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Gotta disagree with you. One month, four times a week at the gym can certainly equate to 5 pounds of additional muscle mass.

um no...... especially for a woman...... even for people actively trying to gain muscle with a calorie surplus and a progressive overload heavy lifting program that is highly unlikely
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It is difficult for a man to gain five pounds of actual muscle mass in a month when trying ... even with pharmaceutical help. For a woman trying to eat at a deficit, it isn't going to happen. Hormonal and physiological differences make actual muscle mass gain extremely difficult for women without a lot of hard, focused work.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You're eating too many calories. You are probably overestimating your calorie burns if you're eating them back.

It is extremely easy to over eat healthy foods. I'm a vegetarian. I know how easy it is to go over or calories for the day due to eyeballing portions or neglecting to factor in cooking oils.
  • AmberDancer1
    Options
    Thank you for your input. I guess I will just have to keep tracking what I am eating to see if that makes a difference.
  • AmberDancer1
    Options

You do understand that the entire premise of this site and eating program totally revolves around counting calories right? If you are not going to use the advice and the protocols for counting calories on a calorie counting forum/program, what kind of advice are you looking for?
    I am well aware of it, hence why I am back to tracking my food. And it's not just for tracking food. The is the community support most provide, advice, and exercise logging benefits.
  • AmberDancer1
    Options
    You're eating too many calories. You are probably overestimating your calorie burns if you're eating them back.

It is extremely easy to over eat healthy foods. I'm a vegetarian. I know how easy it is to go over or calories for the day due to eyeballing portions or neglecting to factor in cooking oils.

It could very well be that. I feel like I'm eating the same as before, but because I wasn't tracking at that point I can't say for certain.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

:drinker: