Pureed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes?

Options
Is it gross?

Replies

• countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I made that once and didn't like it at all which was kind of surprising because I like just about everything.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I mixed half and half and couldn't tell a difference at all - and I'm picky about my mashed potatoes.
  • andreadawn1012
    andreadawn1012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Puree just sounds terrible, but I just like to mash them like regular potatoes and add a little butter (Parkay Spray Butter 0cals) and yumm
  • ambermabee
    Options
    I've considered this as well, but find it hard since I love my taters...
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    have you ever tried mashed cauliflower mixed in w/ mach and cheese? Or squash, it's SO YUMMY and better for you then butter
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It's great! Trick is to use something like Brummell and brown yogurt spread for the butter, use a food processor or blender to make it smooth, be sure to bake it in the oven for 10-15 , mins and then add a dash of paprika on top. I've fooled many people into eating cauliflower this way. Fair warning, it's not EXACTLY like mashed potatoes .... The consistency is a tad thinner and the taste a tad different...BUT they are delicious.
  • pamelasaulters
    Options
    I've done it, and it's delicious!!!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I made it for my family last week. It was yummy, but definitely not mashed potatoes. I did not add any liquid, butter or other fats. I just added some garlic, a bit of salt & pepper and put it in my kitchenaid. Everyone ate it just fine! But they eat cauliflower anyways, so I think next time I'd just make the boiled flourettes with the seasoning and skip the mess of cleaning up my kitchenaid.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I mixed half and half and couldn't tell a difference at all - and I'm picky about my mashed potatoes.

Me too. Healthier and a yummy option!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you like cauliflower but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a potato, there are a lot of vitamins and minerals in a potato and as long as you don't top it with a bunch of crap they are good for you.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    If you like cauliflower but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a potato, there are a lot of vitamins and minerals in a potato and as long as you don't top it with a bunch of crap they are good for you.

AGREED!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Cauliglower does sound good.

I have used mashed butter beans instead of mashed potatoes when I didnt have potatoes once, I thought it was really good.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love it... Very delicious indeed. A bit of cheese, greek yogurt, onion powder & a spinkle of season salt and pepper. Awesome!

P.S: Mash instead of blend. Don't use too much liquid!
  • llbonn
    llbonn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower but I had to practice a few time to get it right. This is what I came up with, hope you like it.

1) Cut the top off a head of garlic, wrap it in tin foil and roast in the oven for about 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees. Then cool slightly, it has a very mild flavor when baked and is very tasty.
    2) Steam large head of cauliflower until quite tender but not mushy.
    3) Put cauliflower in large bowl and mash with an immersion blender or hand mixer. I don't use a food processor because it get's a runny texture not like potatoes at all.
    4) Peel and add baked garlic chunks to taste and mash a little more to incorporate. Add Smart Squeeze butter, salt, pepper and a little fat free milk until you reach your desired texture. You can also add fresh dill or chives chopped up.

My husband and my kids really like these and have totally gotten used to these instead of potatoes.
    Careful though..... they can give you gas :-) If your not used to eating a lot of cruciferous veggies you need to slowly add them to your diet or you might feel pretty uncomfortable.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

I am pretty much the same. I do 1/3 mashed potatoes and the rest mashed cauliflower. It taste so fresh. You still get that fantastic potatoe taste and texture but it sits much "lighter" in your stomache so you dont end up feeling sluggish.
    Give it a try and if you're nervous, just do a small batch!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Is it gross?

I mash the cauliflower, add some butter, sour cream, garlic, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. I find it quite awesome.

I also use cauliflower to make an awesome cauliflower crust pizza that I got from a blogger on another website I am a member of.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    It's great! Trick is to use something like Brummell and brown yogurt spread for the butter, use a food processor or blender to make it smooth, be sure to bake it in the oven for 10-15 , mins and then add a dash of paprika on top. I've fooled many people into eating cauliflower this way. Fair warning, it's not EXACTLY like mashed potatoes .... The consistency is a tad thinner and the taste a tad different...BUT they are delicious.

If you squeeze all of the water out of the cauliflower and drain off the liquid then the consistency is just as thick as mashed taters.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I agree- half and half with potatoes, some roasted garlic, and vegetable broth. Yum! Also, you can pix some mashed up or pureed cauliflower in with mac and cheese (as someone already mentioned) Especially in the white cheddar kind, you can't even taste that it's added
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I loved it when I was doing atkins many years ago.