80 pounds gone and 25 left...motivation dwindling!! Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Put 25 lbs of weights (or books, or whatever) in a backpack and walk with it for 15 minutes. Then take off the backpack and walk around.

I find this exercise is pretty motivating and helps me grasp that weight is not just some metaphysical number, it's a burden on our backs and bodies and you feel so much better and freer and faster and lighter once that burden is removed.

ETA: I haven't lost 100 lbs, but I've lost 40. And big congrats on your weightloss.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Haven't lost 100 lbs...or anywhere close.... But I lost 22 lbs and got to my first big weight loss goal and lost motivation for the last 10. My husband made a challenge with me. Whoever could lose the next 5 lbs got a treat. (Read: food we've been avoiding because of calories, because why not celebrate weight loss with food?). Is there someone you can compete with? Have mini goals with rewards for when you accomplish them? (I won the next 5, haven't gone for my treat yet...) FOr the last 5 lbs I have a pair of pants that I have my eye on since most of my pants wont fit anymore! They're only like $30, nothing extravagant.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    One of the most important aspects of the journey of losing weight is the development of our inner character. Determining to accomplish healthy things for ourselves, despite the odds, matures us. It requires us to have will power, self control, loyalty, patience, inner peace, fortitude, strength, etc. We learn to show love and protection toward ourselves where we used to abuse ourselves. And so on.

One of the most important things we learn...is doing the difficult thing even when we don't *feel* like it. :smile:

Let's face it: having that good feeling of "Motivation" is nice. It's easy to do things when we want to! But here's the thing: Motivation is simply not necessary to do the things that we need to do which are best for ourselves. We *can* still carry on, even if we're not "in the mood".

It sounds like you've made it this far partly by floating along on those good "high" feelings of accomplishment. Which is awesome! Those feelings are like rocket fuel that propel you forward into good habits. But sometimes the fuel burns out for awhile and you have to keep going *anyway*...until the feeling returns. So rather than waiting for those feelings to return, let all that discipline you've been building up and practicing all this time take over for awhile.

And here's the really good news: when you simply do the right thing anyway, and keep going despite not feeling like it....THEN the feelings of "motivation" return to you - in spades. The Discipline carries you through the desert, from oasis to oasis of Motivation.

When I lose those high feelings of motivation, I use that opportunity to lean on my friend community for support and accountability....otherwise, I'd NEVER exercise again and would lose everything I worked for.

I simply throw a message out on my MFP wall, or even on FaceBook: "Hey guys! I REALLY don't want to keep going right now. I REALLY don't want to work out (or whatever). Somebody remind me why I'm doing this? Somebody tell me to go workout!" and so on. I ALWAYS get several people writing me encouraging messages, saying, "Go B! You can do this! You rock!" etc. etc. And then I'm accountable to them. I come back later and report in that I had a GREAT workout, or whatever, so they know I heard them and am appreciative of their help.

Don't give up now. 25 lbs is not the worst amount of weight, but it's not exactly "out of the woods" either. Remember, you only need a waist circumference of 35" or more to be at risk for diabetes, for example. Plus, you're at higher risk when and if you gain a little weight, say, over the holidays, of getting discouraged. Get closer to your "safe zone"...I wouldn't say 25 lbs was in that zone, personally. Hope that helps.

Well I know I wont ever get down to a 35" waist, but I dont really care. If I am still "overweight" that is not going to deter me. I need to make the changes I know I can live with for the rest of my life. If I end up with diabetes because I didnt get down to 120 pounds, I guess I will just have to live with that, but I will still be damn proud of my accomplishment and success.
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your story about your 2xL coat resonated with me!!! The same thing happened to me. (in fact i still have the men's 2xL Colombia coat hanging in my closet) Every once in a while i slip it on just for a boost. :laugh: I haven't bought my new coat yet, but i'm excited too! I thought i was at a stand still for awhile. (no movement on the scale for 3-4 weeks) But today it moved!!! Keep your chin out and chest up, you got this! :happy:

Edited to add: I probably will never see a waist under 35" either, but i'm not gonna stop trying.
  • LetstrythisagainJo
    Options
    Hang a before and after picture on your fridge!!
  • Milliepet
    Milliepet Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    you GO girl. Happy for you :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!