Ranch substitute

Options
Hi all! I am working on being healthier and one of my hurtles is salad... I enjoy all the things that go into the salad but then i want to put ranch on it... any suggestions on what else i can use that would satisfy that craving and be healthier? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Well you can still eat it if you want... Just not too much of it. That or maybe combine a little ranch with some plain yogurt? I personally don't use ranch because I like citrus/juicy fruits, dried fruits and nuts on my salad. Really make flavors pop... I also like honey lemon. My go to is olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper though.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a good substitute yet. I just have ranch. My daughter like the yogurt ranch. It's in the refrigerated section of the produce department at our store.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Have you considered making your own?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9POq893-jE
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the Marzetti Simply Dressed Light Ranch Dressing. It has 70 calories vs 110 for the same serving size. I make it fit. :-)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I use the yogurt ranch dressing from the refrigerated section too. It has a lot less calories, and still tastes good. Win win :)

It's called Bolthouse Ranch Classic Ranch Yogurt Dressing, and here is the nutrition info -

For 2 Tablespoons: Calories 45 Sodium 280 mg Total Fat 3 g
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The yogurt dressing is a great suggestion....also you can buy ranch powder dry and mix a little into your own lowcal olive oil spray or yogurt for the same taste with way fewer calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just get used to life without it! Buy fresh vegetables and taste them!
  • klballet
    klballet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I start with Fat Free Sour cream then add a little water or buttermilk to thin out. Flavor with ranch mix or combine dill,garlic powder,parsley,salt and pepper. Fresh Garlic also gives a powerful punch of flavor.:smile:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the OPA Greek Yogurt ranch by Lighthouse!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just mix the Hidden Valley Ranch powder with low fat greek yogurt!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    Classic buttermilk ranch is actually not high in calories. Buttermilk is the by product of butter making, so most fat has been removed. Try the recipe below, using the smaller quantity of mayo and sour cream.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/ranch-dressing-recipe_n_3769342.html
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Instead of putting the dressing on your salad, put it in a shot glass and dip your bare fork tines in it before spearing your salad. You will eat a smaller amount overall but still get a satisfying amount of dressing on each bite.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use the regular Hidden Valley Light Ranch. I do make my salad, drizzle on the dressing and then stir it together. That way everything gets some dressing love and I only use a couple of tablespoons for a huge salad.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Homemade salad dressings are much healthier than most bottled ones because there are no chemical additives and preservatives. This one is low cal high protein. Here's my recipe from my website, I'm not aloud to give the name though. It's really dee-lish, I also make several other dressings from this base recipe

Ranch Dressing: Base recipe

- 1 cup Greek Yogurt 2% Plain

- 1.5 cup Cultured Low Fat Buttermilk

- 1/3 cup Onion Raw Chopped

- 2 tbsp. Garlic – Raw

- 1 tbsp. Parsley – Raw

- 1.5 tsp Sea Salt

- .5 tsp. Pepper, black

Smokey Chipotle Ranch: Add ¼ cup of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
    to base recipe.

Directions: Puree onions and garlic in food processor. Then add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Serving size: 4 Tbs. Calories: 39 Protein: 4g.
  • ChefSteveUrso
    ChefSteveUrso Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I could understand if you were telling someone to get used to life without high fructose corn syrup or processed foods, but salad without dressing?
  • arditarose
    Options
    I could understand if you were telling someone to get used to life without high fructose corn syrup or processed foods, but salad without dressing?

Haha. I know. I do put something on my salad, just nothing creamy. I'd rather put those calories to something else yummy if salad tastes great without it
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you could sprinkle a bit of the hidden valley ranch dry mix packet in with some greek yogurt or some mashed up avocado. (don't knock it till you try it) or you could portion out a proper portion of ranch and dip your fork into it before stabbing the salad contents. this way you get the ranch flavor with each bite. or you could just get yourself some fat free ranch flavored croutons. those are pretty good too. I poured in some of my almond milk into the ranch and green goddess dressing to dilute it but still use a 2 tablespoon portion and use the fork method but I have done the other suggestions too, it was good and even my hubbby liked it. he didn't even question it when I served it to him. You could always use salsa on a salad too.

you could make your own salad mister by mixing a some of a dry mix packet with some almond milk then put into a clean/new spray bottle. walah: you can spritz the flavor on without adding too much calories. I am so trying this out, I just came up with it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Is using yogurt and avocado in your salad really that many less calories?
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting it together with another (lighter) dressing? Sometimes, instead of 2 tbsps of my favourite creamy dressing, I will mix together 1 tbsp of ranch and 1 tbsp of either salsa or a vinaigrette. Personally I prefer vinaigrettes, but when I am craving a creamy salad I've gotta have a little ranch! Nothing wrong with that. Or, if you've gotta have your full ranch, just plan for it and make room for it in your calorie allowance for that day. :smile:
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing. They have a wide variety and no, it doesn't taste like yogurt. 45 calories per serving, all natural, no preservatives, and taste great!!