Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight Training Calories burned?

Hello,

New to myfitnesspal, I've added all my workouts since this past Monday but there are no Calories burned for strength training?

Is there a setting or link to estimate these and include them in myfitnesspal?

Thank you in advance!:smile:

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    strength training itself isn't a huge calorie burner.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    If you want to log an estimate - use cardiovascular/strength training

The section you saw is for logging weights & reps so you can track progress.
  • Thank you. I do circuit training & found it under Cardiovascular. Leg days I burn around 428, Arm & Chest days around 350.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Thank you. I do circuit training & found it under Cardiovascular. Leg days I burn around 428, Arm & Chest days around 350.

Yeeeeeah, keep logging all your lifting as circuit training and you're guaranteed to significantly over estimate your calorie burns
  • wowza, it is what I do...
    any suggestions?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Log it as strength training
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    wowza, it is what I do...
    any suggestions?
    MRS;

Since you asked, mine would be to not waste the time and effort.

MFP (and ALL calorie trackers) are rough "guesstimates" AT BEST. Recent studies have shown error rates of + or - 16% for the BEST of them (and others much higher) BOTH for TDEE calculations and caloric intake numbers. Exercise numbers can vary by 100% or more.

Simply put, for someone who decides on a daily cal intake of 2000 kcal that number "might" actually be 2320 or 1680 (16% + or -).

Folks are more likely to "forget" to log some cals in and even if they get every morsel the figures in many of the foods in MFP are manually entered by users and frequently wrong. Gym treadmills frequently overestimate cal burns (for marketing reasons).

Add up all the possible "mistakes" and it's not hard to be "off" by 500 cals (or more) - 25%. So that 2000 cals you "thought" you were aiming for might actually be 2500 or 1500. Now decide you're going to "eat back" the 500 exercise cals and it's 3000.

Point being the ONLY (IMO) even "semi" accurate way to track is to focus on cals in - try to get that as accurate as you can. Forget about the exercise cals and monitor AVERAGE progress OVER TIME (track daily but evaluate long term).

As long as your progress is close to your goal (1/2 or 1# / wk, e.g.) keep doing what you are doing. If not (after at least a few weeks), adjust the daily cal intake goal up or down as needed.

Continue to track exercise cals if you want (for motivation or whatever) just don't add another "variable" and not accurate number into the mix.

Marathon runners in training or body builders who spend their lives in the gym might need to compensate for 'exercise" calories "burned" but for the rest of us it's just not worth the effort and adds another variable that's likely wrong. (The tracking, not the exercise).
  • circuit as in 4-5 exercises: each 15-30 reps, no breaks in between, 1 minute break in between each circuit, 3 sets each circuit.
    2 circuits per workout.
    estimated calories 350-400, underestimating....
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Pshhhhh whatevs. Log it, imo. Especially if you use a polar. How else to best estimates your deficit or surplus? You don't wanna over-eat or under-eat.

No not exact... but damn close enough to achieve goals.
  • Right, thank you!

will just log 50 for armS & chest days, 100 for legs & shoulders, at least something to not over but not under eat!

PS Now I want a Polar! nice!!!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    My experience has been that I log my calories burned in weight training under cardio (it called "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)"). It's not a huge burn - usually around 180 calories for 45 minutes - but it's exercise, and I expended the calories. Long term, I have lost weight logging those calories and eating them back, as long as I kept my daily caloric deficit. Others have found theat MFP temds to overestimate exercise calories, so they log them and only eat back half of the exercise calories they earn. You'll have to find out what works for you.

Best of luck!:smile:
  • nice, thank you!