Trying to be accountable

Options
I was having a lot of success losing weight, getting strong and feeling great. I went from 393 to 304. I have slipped big time. I have lost focus gained 30 pounds have gotten weak. I needed to put this in writing so I can hold myself accountable. If I'm lucky or deserving enough, some of you who have been through this can give me some advise to help me get through this. I can't get over the fact that I self sabotage when I approach breaking the 300lb barrier. I'm trying to be honest with myself to find out why I do this when I know I can break through. Thanks for reading

Replies

• amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Accountability is important and you should be proud of that. When this happens and you lose focus I think a couple things happen, something is distracting you that makes you lose focus (and want to eat), lack of support and motivation, and last and probably the most important, self doubt. Self doubt is bigger than us and makes us question what can and cannot do. With such a large number to beat it easy to say it is so out of my reach how can i ever do this? Self doubt needs to take a fregin hike because you want this, you know you do. We all do to. I hope this helps and feel free to add me if you would like some extra support and motivation everyday. I know I could always use more :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Maybe the first step is not to think of 300 as a barrier but as a stepping stone or a goal. I often feel dread when I come to a barrier but want to achieve a goal and cross a stepping stone as it leads to more goals or opportunities. JMO though.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Self-sabotage is so tough. I want to say f*** it every day and dive head first into a bag of donuts.... But get some friends on here to keep you in check! I did basically the same thing as you, lost weight on mfp then stopped using it, the friends I had on here the last time, were still here sticking with it... They have lost so much while I was gaining all of mine back. Use this app everyday, hang on the forums, socializing with people going through the same thing really helps! I'll be your friend! Good luck!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I feel myself slipping, too. At one point I was at 60 pounds loss. I've gained 30 back. I don't know why I can't get a hold of the spiral, but I am trying.

One day at a time, my friend! Feel free to add me and I will do my best to be as supportive as I can be!
  • rpsg0534
    Options
    Just do what you were doing to lose weight before. Nothing has changed about the steps necessary to accomplish what you accomplished before. Wow! You have been successful at losing 89 pounds! How did you do it? Did you log your food accurately? Did you work out more days than not working out? I know that it is easy to get lost in the weeds. But step back and start again. Stop thinking that 300 is a barrier. It is just a number the same as 344. You lost below 344. How? Was it any different from losing below 323? Probably not. Get out of your head and do what you know what to do. Go back to basics and be accountable.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Please don't beat yourself up. Most of us have had setbacks from time to time. YOU CAN DO THIS. You are really smart to have been able to identify that you are sabotaging yourself. Go back to basics. Log everything you eat to the best of your ability and you will be able to tell exactly where you are having trouble. Be honest. It is better to know where you need to make better choices. Everyday that you track your food and exercise good or bad you are successful. Success builds upon itself. Soon you will see the pounds start dropping again and this time I predict you will make it under that 300 mark and even lower.

Good Luck
  • chardonnaybee
    chardonnaybee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    First off, way to go for losing the 89 lbs! I am in the same position though, i need to be held accountable and stay on track, I would just suggest what everyone else says and make sure to log in everyday, read some of the message boards and add friends to make sure you stay on track. Good luck!
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree, I need to get back here every day good or bad and track my intake and post my exercise as well. I am not buying new clothes!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    As the old saying goes, it doesn't matter how many times you fall down, it's how many times you get up, brush yourself down, think ok, what lesson can I learn this time.

I was diagnosed diabetic when i was 18, took me 19 years, almost at point of needing laser surgery on left eye to finally get it under control, and managed to reverse the damage.

Weight i used to be almost 23 stone when younger, now over time at my lowest since around age 12, down to 16 n half.

Did I do things all well? hell no, I've probably taken every wrong path there is to take, sometimes way more than once, but each time i screwed up, I tried to learn something from it.

And now am 40yo, and probably doing better than ever, but it took a lifetime of mistakes to get here..

So don't despair, just keep getting back up, and try try again, and you will make it.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was doing great last year. I had lost 85 pounds and life bit me in the butt. I gained 15 pounds over the winter. The good news is that I had made exercise a new habit, so even though I wasn't eating well, I didn't stop working out during this time. I consider that a huge win! I recommitted in May and I lost the 15 I had gained and I am down another 10. You can do this!