Hello.....I am getting FRUSTRATED!!!

Options

Replies

• pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Just one word. Patience.
    Weight loss does NOT happen quickly. No matter how much you work out.
    Sorry but that is just the way it is.
    Keep trying and enjoy each pound lost, ONE at a time.
    I take measurements every 2 months.
    Standard. Bust, waist,hips, thigh. and wrist/neck.
    Good luck on your journey.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Please don't worry overly much about loose skin and let that stop you from losing weight. Honestly, I had the same fear and it stalled me out for the longest time. And now that I am losing weight? I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner because I hurt less and I have so much more energy. And the loose skin? Not so much. I was worried for no reason. At this point, to be really bare-bones honest with myself and anyone reading and wondering the same thing, I would take loose skin over where I was any day of the week.
  • PrimalStrong
    PrimalStrong Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's talked about much on this board, but I found a lot of good, modern information in a book called The Calorie Myth by Bailor. It lays out today's science on how counting calories isn't really the equation you're looking for. You might find some good ideas and even solace by reading this book. Short answer: It's about hormones not calories. The type of food you eat vs how much. Best of luck to you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's talked about much on this board, but I found a lot of good, modern information in a book called The Calorie Myth by Bailor. It lays out today's science on how counting calories isn't really the equation you're looking for. You might find some good ideas and even solace by reading this book. Short answer: It's about hormones not calories. The type of food you eat vs how much. Best of luck to you.

No. And since you double posted, no again.
  • Sammi_2014
    Options
    This really is my first time doing the diet and exercise thing . The last time I was on a diet I was taking prescription diet pills and didn't change anything and the weight I lost that first month I gained it all back when I got off.
    I have been weighing my foods but there were some days that I didn't log and I need to be more consistent with that . I am doing about 1000-1200 calories a day and then exercising.
    Now when I am lifting weights and stuff does that not burn calories ?
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I am doing something wrong ....I thought cardio and some light weights would a good thing. One of my biggest fears is a lot of excess skin that I see some people have. I have had 2 children and I am just trying to get to where I was before I had them .

First, excess skin depends a lot on genetics. Second, by losing weight slowly you lessen your risk of excess skin.

On your other concerns. And one person already mentioned this. You can retain water, especially when starting a new exercise regimen for muscle repair.

Also, except for some newbie gains, you will not gain muscle while eating in a deficit. Working with weights, which is excellent, will help you maintain the muscle you have and strengthen it. Cardio helps your cardiovascular system.

If you haven't already, read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants and all the links that go with it. Plus if you have access to a trainer a few sessions can payoff tenfold to get you started.

Many people on here do heavy lifting programs such as strong lifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Those might be programs to look into as well. I researched both of them but they are not for me due to spinal injuries after speaking with my surgeon.

To give you an example, I just started with a new personal trainer last week and I've been up consistently 2 lbs since then. I'm sure it's water weight because my calories have not been over that much on the days I've been over.

Also for measurements, you can measure you arms, waist, hips, bust, neck, thighs, and calves. I measure every two weeks and have official measurements monthly.

Hope this helps and gives you a starting point to research and learn more about your body.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can add your own additional measurements to the ones that are included in MFP. In addition to bust, waist, hip,.... I measure wrists, ankles, calfs, thighs, upper arm, forearm and neck. As I lost weight. Some weeks I did not see progress on the scale but saw it in some of the measurements. Also you can tell by the way your clothes fit. You have to keep the long term goals in view. Day to Day and week by week it is sometimes hard to see the progress. But over time you will be successful.
  • Soloflyergirl2
    Soloflyergirl2 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hold on... Do some reading about nutrition, aerobic activity, cardio , etc. You will see that you are on the right track , but you have to allow for your body , metabolism, to adjust to your new food and liquid intake. The people in MFP are very supportive and have a lot of knowledge. Tap into some of that, too. I think you are on the right track eliminating soda, caffeine, salt.

Give yourself some time to adjust to the new routines and know that muscle weighs more than fat. Look at how your clothes will slide on you after a while, more than the number on the scale..
    :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This really is my first time doing the diet and exercise thing . The last time I was on a diet I was taking prescription diet pills and didn't change anything and the weight I lost that first month I gained it all back when I got off.
    I have been weighing my foods but there were some days that I didn't log and I need to be more consistent with that . I am doing about 1000-1200 calories a day and then exercising.

OH!

read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    So I started dieting on 9/1/14 and within the first 10 days I dropped 9lbs ! I went from drinking energy drinks and soda all the time to ZERO and all I drink is water and a few cups of coffee a day. I have been watching what I eat and measure my foods and doing exercises ....but no weight has been lost since then!! I have worked my butt off the past few days and nothing ! I just joined the YMCA and for the past 3 days I have been working out for an hour and a half to two hours.
    I do 30 minutes of cardio to get my heart rate up and then I do some leg presses , lift some light weights for my arms, other leg weight exercises and this like ab crunch machine thing ....Today I also did this stair stepper machine and the bike ....Yesterday I walked a total of 7 miles between the work out and just normal every day ....What is wrong with my body ?! Why is it not wanting to lose weight !! Ugh, fat girl problems :(
    You do realize that normal sustainable weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week right? That translates to 4-8 pounds A MONTH.
    surely you did not expect to continue losing at that rate? You know that much of this is water weight you've lost and you will also have some water retention due to new exercise RIGHT?????
    You've not even been at this a month. Give it time.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

This is not really how it works. Hormones add a factor to the equation but ultimately it's about eating less calories than you burn. Also, the type of food matters for health reasons but not weight loss reasons.
  • PrimalStrong
    Options

I'm new to this board so sorry about the double post. Wasn't intentional. I'm not tracking your answer of "no" to my post. What are you saying "no" to?
  • Sammi_2014
    Options

OH!

read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks ! I am reading it now !
  • PrimalStrong
    Options
    This is not really how it works. Hormones add a factor to the equation but ultimately it's about eating less calories than you burn. Also, the type of food matters for health reasons but not weight loss reasons.

You might change your opinion on that if you read the Calorie Myth book or follow someone like Dr. Mark Hyman. There is a ton of science that says that is exactly how it works. Most of us are working from an old paradigm. And when 70% of our country is obese, it makes sense to maybe consider a new one.

Here's an article that sums it up pretty well.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Remember, muscles weights more than fat...

Sorry - but I need to do a correction: Muscle is DENSER.
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, it is just more dense.
  • kenthenatural
    kenthenatural Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might want to find out what your BMR is and calculate your macros when measuring your food. Remember to lose weight in a healthy way you should only lose 1-2 lbs per week.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

OH!

read this:

Thanks ! I am reading it now !
    GOOD stuff
    Tweak as necessary
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I'm new to this board so sorry about the double post. Wasn't intentional. I'm not tracking your answer of "no" to my post. What are you saying "no" to?

Definitely saying "no" to your post.
  • abeaverhausen47
    Options
    Wow. You're a real ball of sunshine, aren't you? You only seem to reply with negative comments. How about instead of insulting others you either offer support or refrain from hitting that 'reply' button
  • abeaverhausen47
    Options
    Lol. And 'muscle is denser' is a sentence fragment.