Picky eaters

Options
Is there any picky eaters out there?

Replies

• texasguy
    texasguy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yup, hate to admit, but i don't like mustard, mayo, ketchup, veggies, italian and seafood. on the bright side i can eat the same thing over and over again without getting tired of it, so eating chicken breast every single day is awesome for my diet.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    YES! I'm totally a picky eater! I'm trying to find ways around it. But the nutrition part is the hardest part for me in getting healthy. Trying to make small changes.
  • JeepOnRock
    Options
    I'm a picky eater... Basically carnivorous. There are some fruits I like, too... but getting the right balance of food is pretty tough for me.
  • jodys01
    Options
    I am a total picky eater. I don't like many vegetables at all and only a few fruits. I don't ever eat salad because I think that lettuce tastes like watered down dirt. It is hard to stay in the calorie range when you don't like foods that are good for you.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I'm not too picky, but I find it hard to eat out with my friends while they order everything on the left side of the menu and I gotta be careful. My little brother is one of those semi-picky eaters you only read about! I swear he existed on lucky charms, maple brown sugar cream of wheat, and soda for like ages.

My husband is only picky in that he doesn't like it when he expects to eat one thing and is presented with something else. doesn't matter what it is, if he didn't expect it, he doesn't like it - like spaghetti considered, tuna casserole delivered = no good.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    I wish, I LOVEEEEE food, all kinds of food! but perhaps thats because I dont let myself eat 80% of it
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Very picky , dont eat alot of veggies ( cauli, peas , carrots, brocolli ) , dont eat fruit or salad.

Basically my diet consist of Chicken breasts and the few veggies every day and oatmeal.

Im trying to change and going to try and eat salad , one thing I will never eat is tomatoes. Salads to me just taste like your eating grass and dirt
  • jeni719
    jeni719 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater as well... I love all fruit but the only vegetables I like are celery, carrots, and cucumbers. I don't like any fish so I eat chicken every day.
  • dlvetter
    Options
    My problem is i do not like Chicken, Turkey, or Steak. Also i only like a few vegetables. Any advice on how to maintain a healthy diet.
  • tallib
    tallib Posts: 13
    Options
    Just thought I`d join in and say YES, I am a picky eater ¬.¬ I think we need some sort of a badge or something! lol. I dont like onions, fruit with meat, soup (blergh!), wet food in general, anything with too many flavours in it, anything spicy....the list goes on :/ my husband hates it! hehe.
    I really want to find more recipes to break up the monotony a bit but it`s soooo hard cus I hate cooking and dont like anything anyway :/ meh.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm a combo plate, allergies, medical limitations and pickiness
    Allergies: seafood
    Doctor's recs no dairy, gluten, chocolate, refined sugars or soy
    Picky foods: cooked carrots, mustard, ketchup, meat and poultry

So I eat a vegetarian/semi vegan diet. It means being very creative
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My problem is i do not like Chicken, Turkey, or Steak. Also i only like a few vegetables. Any advice on how to maintain a healthy diet.
    i don't think that's bad. Google pescetarian diets. You could easily live on a diet like that.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can advise is try out fresh whole produce. Research ways to cook it and keep trying it little by little. Many of us grew up with parent's trying to force us to clear our plates and that included our veggies which were usually cooked to death and/or canned. Those can be gross and disgusting. Try fresh try different prep methods and you may find a way you like them.

Also there are things like smoking, or all the sugar and high fructose corn syrup that can screw up your taste buds big time. Those are two I can think of that picky eaters may find blocking them. Maybe not though.

Me I've always loved veggies but I loved those other bad things too, obviously or I'd probably not have a reason to be here. hahaha I like them veggies a lot more now that I learned to prepare them differently than cooking the canned ones to death or whatnot.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So what would you eat then? Fish, Tuna, shrimp, beef, eggs, beans, cheese are good protein options. Perhaps you need to try and prepare the foods you don't like differently. If you don't like regular chicken or chicken breast, maybe make a soup, or chicken salad. I do so many different thing with chicken it's hard to imagine not finding something you would like that would be healthy. Chicken fajitas, chicken w/ veggies in a tomato sauce topped w/ lofat cheese over rice, baked chicken, grilled chicken, chicken kabobs, chicken dipped in a bit of dijon mustard coated w/ whole wheat bread crumbs, home made chicken nuggets (baked), the list goes on. And that's just chicken! If you like, send me a friend request and I can get you some more ideas on healthy food plans.

Also check out Allrecipes.com for a ton of great recipes that you can print out. Hope it helps.
    -Mel
  • aanner
    aanner Posts: 26
    Options
    yes!! I don't like any vegetable besides corn if that even counts. I also don't eat sea food, or red meat, as well as most types of chicken and turkey. not because I'm a vegetarian, I just don't like them.. I don't like flavors mixed together, I like very plain food. I pretty much have pizza for dinner every day , cause that's all I like. soo annoying sometimes
  • jacgray
    jacgray Posts: 34
    Options
    I am extremely picky. I don't like any veg (or salad) except potatoes although I like the flavour of onion so I grate that into casseroles (hate the texture!) and I can just about manage carrots/swede/turnip in a casserole but def not on their own! I eat very little fruit, no salad and I hate anything that is sweet/sour/savoury together. I basically live on meat and potatoes and occasionally fish. I don't like shellfish or any "spicy" flavours so Indian/Chinese/Thai etc is out (plus they tend to use a lot of veggies). I hate cheese of any kind and struggle with yoghurt although I can now manage strawberry (it basically tastes like sour milk to me). Eating out is difficult but at least friends and family are used to me now. After years of stuffing veggies down my kids and then having them hate all veg in their teenage years, one is now a vegetarian and the other eats everthing so I am pleased neither of them are like me (my mother was the same as me). Its good to know there are other picky eaters out there.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a horrible picky eater! i refuse to eat vegetables, or try any new foods (unless someone is really talented). i hate meat. i hate any foreign foods (mexican, thai, indian, asian, etc etc) except italian. i hate seafood. i only like a few fruits. strawberry, watermelon, kiwi, bananas. mostly, i love junk food. and i get sick of foods easily. this is exactly why i refuse to eat ramen noodles. i grew up poor and it was all i had to eat lol. ugh.. so much more lol.
  • triannataylor
    Options
    I'm super picky too!! Hate a lot of veg (esp onions, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, etcetc)... Not a huge fan of foreign foods such as thai, mexican, indian, etc)... hate things that are too spicy..
    I do have certain foods I LOVE that I could eat every day... canned beets soaked in vinegar... dill pickles (sodium WHAAAT?!)... soy butter and jam sandwiches... I get teased that I have more weird cravings than a pregnant chick...
    I do love pretty much every kind of fruit but I get massive low sugar shakes within two hours of eating fruit... Also I like most meats but too lazy to cook anything but some chicken fried up in a pan (no butter, that would be more effort lol)
    Unfortunately when looking up recipes, there are always 2-3 ingredients that I just HATE and I usually just give up on the recipe altogether..
  • CSK1981
    CSK1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm an extremely picky eater, since i was a kid, it's followed me till this day (29 years old). Since, i didn't see anyone mention this, i will. I came across a story about picky eating and how it could be a disorder, it's still fairly new and being researched but it's being called Selective Eating Disorder, where adults only like foods they ate as a kid a.k.a fast food, junk, preservative filled food, they avoid whole food groups like vegetable, fruit and even alcohol, although, some people have certain things in that group they will eat. Like me, i do not eat vegetables unless corn and potatoes count as vegetables, if so, those are the only ones, but i eat some fruits but not all, just apples, bananas and green grapes, however, i do like tripple berry smoothies but that's cuz it's liquefied, if u gave me just a blueberry, i would not eat it. That's because your senses play a part in it, meaning if it looks bad or smells bad, you just won't eat it!! Where most people can eat anything and just avoid a few foods, people with SED, avoid mostly everything and the amount of things they will eat is small, i could prolly count on two hands, the things i will eat (i'm talking actual meals, not snacks, but of course the snacks are junk). People with SED, prefer bland/plain foods also. Even the alcohol, with me is rare, only times i really drink is when i'm out for my birthday, new years, basically occasions and the drinks i prefer are Smirnoff Ice and Mikes Hard Lemonade, which are both clear drinks and don't taste like alcohol, they taste sugary and sweet to me!!

I always thought i was just a picky eater but after coming across this, i believe i may have this disorder, i even read it to my mom and she agrees that this could be my problem. So for my fellow picky eaters, if this sounds like you to, try googling Selective Eating Disorder and read it for yourself, but unfortunately, there's not that much on it yet!!
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yup! I'm guilty. I don't eat ANY veggies (unless you count tomato sauce on pizza or french fries) and the only way I eat fruit is completely liquefied in smoothies. There is no fruit I can sit down and eat. Also, I don't like noodle-shaped pasta, I only eat shaped pastas. I also don't like any seafood except for shrimp and fried calamari. I also don't like any condiments like ketchup, mustard, mayo, dressings, etc. I have horrible texture issues, so no applesauce, no mashed potatoes, no anything funky. I love chicken, red meat, pasta, bread, and sweets!!! LOL!