What to eat??? oh me oh my what to eat?

Options
I have managed to keep myself going pretty straight lately but the one thing that hounds me is that everytime I eat something, I wonder... Is there something better I could be eating instead of this?
I'm constantly on the road, my job requires me to travel a lot so I get to see quite a bit of restaurants, and yes... mostly very, very tasty food, but as far as nutritional value is concerned.... well... we all know better.
I am at the point right now that I drink water throughout the day, typically 16.9 oz water bottles, I go through about 7 to 10 bottles a day and when I eat, I also drink water, which I think makes me feel full quicker so I don't necessarily clean my plate when I eat.
I really enjoy the food diary, I played around in the database and unfortunately found that some of my favorite foods are WWWWAAAAAYYYYY High in calories, carbs, saturated fats, sodium (yeah you name it... it's bad).
Does anyone happen to have a few suggestions as far as what I may be able to eat when I'm on the road? Any input you could give me will be greatly appreciated.
Hec

Replies

• schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Pack a cooler! :laugh: I have a hell of a time eating when I'm not at home. I get sick a lot when I try to eat out because it's not the kind of thing I usually eat. Good luck!
  • TwistedLemonade
    TwistedLemonade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of stopping at a fast food place, try and hit up a grocery store deli?
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are on the road, keep in mind that McDonald's has the lowest calorie fast food. The oatmeal is good, you can also have a salad with grilled chicken (hold the dressing), or a fish sandwich. The portions are small, that's why it's lower calorie. Also, any place that has salad, but watch the dressing. I'm a vegetarian so I have a harder time finding restaurant food, but salads, diet cokes, grilled chicken, and baked potatoes help. Good luck!
  • em20lbs2go
    em20lbs2go Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I keep a baggie of my favorite cereal in my purse to keep hunger at bay until I might be able to get somewhere with “better” food… my favorite cereal is shredded wheat cinnamon streusel (I do not like it with milk.. like in the am) It is something sweet, and high in fiber AND potassium.. both important for keeping me feeling full.
    Also.. I love Progresso WW soups.. make sure it is the LIGHT.. and it will keep your calories down :0) good luck!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken or fish -- no sauce! Steamed veggies. Egg white omelette's are good too, you can usually get them 'round the clock at some places. Fill them with veggies. A grilled pork chop isn't that bad either IF you don't eat the entire thing! A portion is around 3 or 4 oz. Basically, anything grilled or steamed-- no sauce! The sodium is gonna be a killer so, keep drinking your water. Try and eat fresh/raw fruits and veggies when you can. OH! Salads with grilled whatever low cal vinaigrette dressing on the side, and make sure it's not a delicious taco salad :devil:
    Good luck! It's a challenge but you can totally do it!
  • orlandogaff
    Options
    grilled chicken or fish -- no sauce! Steamed veggies. Egg white omelette's are good too, you can usually get them 'round the clock at some places. Fill them with veggies. A grilled pork chop isn't that bad either IF you don't eat the entire thing! A portion is around 3 or 4 oz. Basically, anything grilled or steamed-- no sauce! The sodium is gonna be a killer so, keep drinking your water. Try and eat fresh/raw fruits and veggies when you can. OH! Salads with grilled whatever low cal vinaigrette dressing on the side, and make sure it's not a delicious taco salad :devil:
    Good luck! It's a challenge but you can totally do it!

I travel a ton also and I have stuck by one simple rule........ I don't eat it if I can't chart it! By doing this I've become more mind ful of what im putting in my body and responsible for my choices. I stay under my calorie goal this way and everything else falls into place! Hope this helps
  • orlandogaff
    Options
    By the way.....your doing great.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I travel a ton also and I have stuck by one simple rule........ I don't eat it if I can't chart it! By doing this I've become more mind ful of what im putting in my body and responsible for my choices. I stay under my calorie goal this way and everything else falls into place! Hope this helps

I do this too!!! It actually helps me decide what to eat! "How would I log this?" If I can break it down easily in my head, (without too much guessing) I'll eat it. Really good advice.
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The just bring it with you idea is probably the best one. Buy some protein bars and eat one on the way. I am proud to see you getting down to business like this. I haven't been on for a while because the food issues have been old hat for me lately. Kinda have it down. Now that I know your looking though, I will log mine again so you can see how I do business. Maybe i'll see you at Rine's again soon?