target calorie deficit

Options
Hi there,
I am 172 cm (5' 8) and weigh 77kg (170lb)
Healthy BMI for my height is 55 to 74 kilograms. (121lb - 163lb)
I'm nearly there !!

I'm 'aiming' for 55kg and but will just stop when I get to a weight I'm happy with.
I know that you are supposed to set your calorie deficit based on how much you have to lose, and that 77kg to 55kg is still a lot to lose.
So I am wondering if I should still be aiming for 1000 calorie deficit per day or if I should reduce it since I am quite close to 'healthy' bmi. I have been on 1000 cal deficit for 5 months or so and have lost consistently without feeling hungry or lacking in energy. I want to get the weight off asap, but to do it healthily, of course.
Thanks

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How much are you losing currently?

I'd aim for 1 lb a week loss. With less to lose, the slower you want to go, as you're more likely to jeopardize lean mass by going quicker and that's what will help you look leaner as you lose. Quick weight loss =/= good weight loss. Remember that.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

I weight myself daily and it can go up or down by a pound or so in a day; so its hard to be too precise with how much I lose in a short time frame.

On 3rd September I weighed 175.2 lbs. That was a 'peak' it hasn't gone back to being above that since then.
    ie in the last 3 weeks I've lost about 5 pounds.

Should I aim to adjust my calorie goal to give me an average of 1 lb per week ?
    I can experiment to see what achieves that.

Thanks
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Ideally, yes I would slow it down. You're right that weight fluctuates from day to day. I've gotten in the habit of weighing daily, then taking the average weight from the week as my weight, after a few weeks I determine where the weight is trending and go from there.

I would, personally, add no more than 100 calories to your goal and give it a few weeks adjust from there.

Make sure you log as accurately as possible, so that way you will have an easier time knowing how to adjust.

What method do you use? MFP or TDEE?
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Hi,
    my food logging is very accurate (scales etc)
    I have a fitbit and an hrm and base my calories out on those. so also quite accurate. I eat back all my exercise calories.

I use MFP with a 1000 cal deficit (calories in - calories out), but if it is a very sedentary day - which happens occasionally - I eat a minimum of 1200 cals.

I was just day dreaming of everything I could do with the extra 500 cals a day :-)
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options
    Sounds good! I lost 53 lbs eating 1650 net. My activity outside of exercise is wrangling kids and a clean buildings for a few hours 3x a week but I know I loved having more calories to work with! Ice cream... haha.

I'd say slowly up until you're losing an average of 1 lb a week and keep swimming!

Another note, for muscle retention, it's typically recommended 1g per pound of lean body mass. Ideally, weightlifting would be something to incorporate into your routine as well, if possible. If not, body weight exercises like you are your own gym are nice too. Either of those would help retain current LBM.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Thanks for your advice.
  • dwdodson
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories / day. Which seems low for a 200 lb. man.

But, it's really not all that hard. Day's I exercise I generally eat a bit more (or have a few drinks). I've just started counting calories using this site and seem to have come of a plateau of around 202-206.

I started at 253 back in March and didn't have a problem just cutting out foods. However I'm going down to 175 and anticipate the last 25 lbs being difficult.

Is there anything to worry about with a 1200 calorie diet. I'm eating fish, fruit and a bagel every day. Sometimes sushi.
  • kk_gets_fit
    Options
    Interestingly, many people find that they lose weight quickly with a low calorie diet, but then as they get lighter and lighter, this slows down and eventually plateaus. During this time, most people are actually increasing their exercise regime because they have more energy and motivation, and are probably working harder in the gym. The most common advice (but often the most difficult to heed) is this: eat MORE. Someone your size should be eating at minimum 1,600 cals per day, especially if you are active. I know it feels counterintuitive, but likely, your body recognizes that its losing/lost a lot of its fat stores (read energy stocks!) and knows that you aren't feeding it much. If you keep doing this, your body will become even more efficient at storing the few calories you consume, leading to increased fat storage and overall plateaus.

Bottom line: Eat at least 1,600 calories per day. If you are working out rigorously, I would recommend even higher, around 2,000.

Another method to help increase fat loss/promote weight loss. Change up your macronutrients. If you really want to lose fat and are willing to plan out your meals, try to get a 50% protein/30% carb/20% fat diet for a few weeks. You will be shocked at 1) how full you are all the time 2) how you lose overall fat quickly. If you have trouble eating this ratio, go for a 40/30/30, instead. Eating more protein often leads to higher fat intake, which is totally fine and healthy.
  • dwdodson
    Options
    Wow. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

I've not counted calories in probably 30 years. Maybe as a kid.

What I've not done recently is exercise with a weight loss purpose. I play tennis 2-3 times a week which is more fun than anything. But I play pretty hard and its a decent workout.

One thing I notice is that eating late (tonight I had about 550 cal of salmon and vegetables at 9pm) leads to a high weigh in.

If I went up to 1600 calories of food, maybe I should add the calories at breakfast ?
  • kk_gets_fit
    Options
    To really get down to your ideal weight, you will probably have to up your exercise, mainly because your body is so good at storing food (everyone's is). But, that doesn't mean you have to plateau!

There is a back and forth about when is best to eat, and I think the jury is still out. Personally, I think when I go to bed full, I feel sluggish in the morning and a bit heavy. If I eat anything before bed, its usually a small protein shake as a recovery from a workout.

I would say that you should try to increase your calories evenly throughout the day. Don't skip breakfast! It gets your metabolism revved up to burn those calories. I have trouble eating in the morning, so I drink coffee with some milk, and then after about an hour or two, I'll drink a protein shake made with milk or eat some egg whites and chicken sausage, with maybe some toast. Aim for meals around 400-500 calories, and then a few 100-200 calorie snacks. I like to carry around almonds or apples in case I get hungry at work, and I usually keep some greek yogurt at work as well, which I like to eat right before leaving, so I have some fuel in the tank to do my after work- workout.

Eat when you are hungry, for sure, but try to be mindful of what you are eating. Get variety, healthy proteins, healthy complex carbs, cut down the sugar (unless its fruit/veggies), and just try to relax about it all. You will get more comfortable with eating right over time; don't worry about the minutia too much.
  • dwdodson
    Options
    I created a diet years ago that works for me and doesn't require me to count calories. But I've got a goal to reach before a trip to Jamaica in November. That's why I've started calorie counting.

I just use the calculator on MFP to figure out what I needed to do to lose the 2 lbs a week necessary to get to 175 by thanksgiving.

I'll try your suggestion of upping calories a bit and tacking on a couple of workouts (jumping rope and push-ups or weights).

I call my diet "Diet Secrets of the Bible" and its pretty much what it sounds like, I only eat foods from the bible. I'm not religious at all, but like the concept. I've done quite a bit of research on biblical guidelines for food and health. Still may turn it in to a book some day. I see similar ideas now but in 1994 when I created it, it was novel idea. Always thought it would be a great way for religious people to get inspiration to lose weight. In reality its pretty much just like the Mediterranean Diet.

Fish no meat, no shellfish, no processed food, no cheese, wine only, olive oil instead of butter etc. I eat plenty of fruit, vegetables and fish.

After all, "your body is a temple"
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    the last 25... congratulations! I'd suggest yoga to get that last bit off and make you a lean-mean-man-machine. I did 20" a day of yoga and was the leanest ever in my life and it was the only thing that erased the last 25! It triggers acupressure points that balance everything in your body.

I do think 1200 calories is too low for you. It's rock bottom for a woman. Anything less needs medically supervised.

Listening to your body for diet is really key, along with common sense.
  • dwdodson
    Options
    Yoga. Hmmm.

A friend of mine is a Yogi. Used to take his class but for no good reason. Maybe I should give it another try. Couldn't hurt my tennis either.
  • dwdodson
    Options
    Changed my calorie goal to 1600