I ate 990 mg too much of Sodium today

Options
So far my weight loss has sort of been hard?

I think the main problem is that due to my living situation, I have to eat a lot of fast food and preprepared and pre-packaged things. I've been trying to lose weight faster than I have, but for the last few days I've been eating 100mg, 500mg and now 990mg too much salt.

Today I also consumed 2 extra grams of fat and 2 extra grams of protein. I am under my calorie goal by 188 Calories, my Carbs goal by 29, and my Sugar limit by 45 grams.

Does anyone know what's going to happen to me? Any tips?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I suspect you will continue to live.

I consider protein and fiber goals to be a minimum number, fat to be something to try to hit and even better if I go over, and couldn't care less about my carbs. I don't track sugar or sodium.

Drink more water, try to eat more potassium-rich foods if the sodium really bothers you, and keep truckin'.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Drink water, you'll be fine.

Try to find ways to incorporate more fresh foods into your diet.
  • ShatteredAwe
    ShatteredAwe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So you guys are saying that there's nothing bad with a bit too much sodium?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So you guys are saying that there's nothing bad with a bit too much sodium?
    For weight loss? Not really. The number on the scale may go up, as excess sodium tends to lead to water retention.... So it may mask your weight loss.

Is it good for your health? That's a conversation to have with your doctor.
  • ShatteredAwe
    Options
    Ok. Thanks!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It happens. I was over my sodium with breakfast this morning because we had takeout from Bob Evans. You may go up for a day or two, but it's only water weight and nothing to worry about.
  • Anxieux
    Anxieux Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I go over sodium by atleast 1500 a day, but I drink about 100-120oz of water a day.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Also, don't worry about being over on certain macros. MFP lowballs a lot, and being over on fat won't make you fat, nor will being over on carbs/protein/ect. Granted, if you're over by a huge amount, it's likely you'll be over calories as well, and a smaller deficit (or calorie surplus) will lead to slower weight loss or weight gain.

But being 2g over on fat is nothing to be concerned over.

My friends can attest I usually am over or close to in on something, and I'm still doing fine!
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sodium will cause you to retain water which can make you feel bloated. Fortunately it is very easy to get it out of your body! Just sweaty it out! Do some jumping jacks or go for a jog and sweat it all out.
  • ShatteredAwe
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you replies! I'm feeling a bit better now, and less worried.
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have recently adjusted my preferences on MFP to track my sodium consumption, and it seems like I'm always exceeding the recommended 2,300 mg (often double that). I make an effort to avoid foods with added sodium, yet somehow I'm getting too much according to the USDA recommendations. This makes me wonder if the 2,300 mg recommendation is really realistic.

I'm 38, male, and fairly active (fairly strenuous weight training usually four days per week) with no serious health conditions.

To anyone here with medical knowledge on the topic: do I have cause for concern here?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I exceeded my sodium today by 5 grams.

I don't even care.
  • cvaj09
    cvaj09 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You sound like me, I obsess over how my nutrition matches up with my allowance. But I think it doesn't matter too much because as long as you're within calories you will still be fine. I have a problem like every other day going over on my sodium level too. But I'm trying to let it go and find ways to decrease intake. I guess I would say it's more of a guide line for me to know where im at and be aware. But seriously I'm obsessed.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    With no health problems like high blood pressure, the sodium allotment is based off of your calories. If you notice after your logged workout (so the allowed calories go up), the sodium number (as well as all of the other macro numbers) will be higher to allow for the new calorie intake proportions to be maintained.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start to see the scale stall (maybe due to water retention). Keep drinking plenty of water, but know that you will retain some more if your sodium numbers remain high. Otherwise, keep sweating it out! :happy:
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    Unless you have cardiac problems or HBP, I wouldn't worry about it. I am hypotensive and on HBP for cardiomyopathy. I *have* to exceed what is recommended.

The numbers you see here are a guide not a bible.