Tapeworms in food

Options
I just read a cringe worthy article about a man whose entire body was infested with tapeworms, after eating large amounts of sashimi in China.

I've seen enough gifs and Youtube videos of squirming parasites in sushi to know that you've really got to be careful where you order sushi from, and to inspect your food before you eat it as well as you can. But BLEH. I absolutely did not believe the photos (of X-Rays), until I found out that they indeed can show up on X-Rays, especially if they are causing lesions within the body.

I'm surprised he wasn't severely malnourished from the volume of tapeworms he had inside of him.
Also, proceed at your own risk: http://www.khou.com/story/news/health/2014/09/24/man-riddled-with-tapeworms-after-eating-contaminated-sushi/16182885/

Also, eat sushi at your own risk.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't be eating anything raw in China. Poor guy.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Ew. Reason 63,572 to not eat sushi. (reasons 1-63,571 being that is utterly repulsive and nasty :laugh: )
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Most places in the US are required to freeze all fish they serve. Your sushi isn't "fresh caught" that day, it's frozen, thawed (controlled thaw) and served because parasites will die in the freezer. So, if you go to decent restaurant with money to lose, you'll be fine.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Most places in the US are required to freeze all fish they serve. Your sushi isn't "fresh caught" that day, it's frozen, thawed (controlled thaw) and served because parasites will die in the freezer. So, if you go to decent restaurant with money to lose, you'll be fine.

Agreed. One of the few times I don't mind being served a previously frozen meal!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Ew. Reason 63,572 to not eat sushi. (reasons 1-63,571 being that is utterly repulsive and nasty :laugh: )

But it's delicious when served properly!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just read a cringe worthy article about a man whose entire body was infested with tapeworms, after eating large amounts of sashimi in China.

I've seen enough gifs and Youtube videos of squirming parasites in sushi to know that you've really got to be careful where you order sushi from, and to inspect your food before you eat it as well as you can. But BLEH. I absolutely did not believe the photos (of X-Rays), until I found out that they indeed can show up on X-Rays, especially if they are causing lesions within the body.

I'm surprised he wasn't severely malnourished from the volume of tapeworms he had inside of him.
    Also, proceed at your own risk: http://www.khou.com/story/news/health/2014/09/24/man-riddled-with-tapeworms-after-eating-contaminated-sushi/16182885/

To point out, it was not actually verified that it was contracted from the sashimi. They "believe" that it "may have been" from it.

Aside from other foods (undercooked meat in general, for example), people who handle food (whether due to their job or even personal life) who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom can contaminate that food and pass on the eggs to others.

That aside, I've eaten raw fish since I was a little kid and I've never gotten tape worms nor have had any issues from it...and neither have any of my family or many other people I know.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

th?id=HN.608019171559015556&pid=1.7
  • missiontofitness
    Options

th?id=HN.608019171559015556&pid=1.7

tumblr_m70ubvHBpZ1rziwwco1_500.jpg
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Entire body infested? I'd like to see this.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

To point out, it was not actually verified that it was contracted from the sashimi. They "believe" that it "may have been" from it.

Aside from other foods (undercooked meat in general, for example), people who handle food (whether due to their job or even personal life) who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom can contaminate that food and pass on the eggs to others.

That aside, I've eaten raw fish since I was a little kid and I've never gotten tape worms nor have had any issues from it...and neither have any of my family or many other people I know.

Hence me saying to inspect your food and to eat at your own risk.
    Any raw or undercooked food, is risky, and you and your family are lucky to have not experienced this. Most likely it's due to good food handling processes.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Article linked explained this.
    It's possible that the parasites spread to the man's blood stream after infection.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    same here, I don't eat many fish but when I do it's typically raw. You can to be VERY picky where you get if from and how it was stored and making sure it was frozen properly to deter worms. I've never had an issue and hopefully never will.
    I've had food poisoning 6 times in my life and that is good enough for me, I'm almost ocd when it comes to food :laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Hence me saying to inspect your food and to eat at your own risk.
    Any raw or undercooked food, is risky, and you and your family are lucky to have not experienced this. Most likely it's due to good food handling processes.

Growing up, we caught a lot of our own fish and made sashimi out of that.

NOT suggesting people do this though. I lived pretty far out in the Pacific on a tiny island for a lot of my childhood :laugh:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    same here, I don't eat many fish but when I do it's typically raw. You can to be VERY picky where you get if from and how it was stored and making sure it was frozen properly to deter worms. I've never had an issue and hopefully never will.
    I've had food poisoning 6 times in my life and that is good enough for me, I'm almost ocd when it comes to food :laugh:

I hear you; I generally go to the same places and order the same thing, since I can trust their food prep/storage. I've read other horror stories as bad as this one before. Including a parasite getting into a girl's eye and eating her eye from the inside. :noway:

Also...six times?! That must have been awful!
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options

^^What she said.

And I find sushi delicious. A salmon avocado roll or halibut sashimi? Love it! I think sushi tastes less 'fishy' than cooked fish typically.

And at most american sushi bars you'll find maybe half of the 'sushi' includes cooked fish or tempura.

[img]http://sainiur****a.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/salmon-skin-roll.gif[/img]
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

ok saw it, this is nasty
  • missiontofitness
    Options

^^What she said.

And I find sushi delicious. A salmon avocado roll or halibut sashimi? Love it! I think sushi tastes less 'fishy' than cooked fish typically.

And at most american sushi bars you'll find maybe half of the 'sushi' includes cooked fish or tempura.

But the cooked rolls, especially the eel, are so delicioussss.
    Though..you can never go wrong with spicy tuna.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

^^What she said.

I'm really partial to shrimp tempura rolls myself.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

^^What she said.

Except that one piece where they include the inedible part of the tail. :(
  • PikaKnight
    Options

^^What she said.

Except that one piece where they include the inedible part of the tail. :(

Yeah. It adds an extra crunch that is totally not needed :laugh: