Preparing for 10km - advice needed

Options
Hi all,

So I've finally managed to lose 2/3 of the weight I wanted to get rid of. To 'reward' myself I decided to sign up for a 10k. I'd appreciate any advice that I can get.

Goal: Run the 10km within 2 hours by the end of Jan 2015
(I don't care about being the last one to cross the line, I just want to finish it. It'll be the first sport event I've ever participated in :laugh: )

Current state: I can run for about 30 mins non-stop, and that's about it.

Time from now to 10k: I plan to start training on Oct 1, so that gives me around 4 months (the race is on Jan 25, 2015).

Available time for training: At the very least, I could do 3 runs a week, and probably 5 runs a week at the most. I might also find time to do some body strength exercises (sit ups, push ups, etc) but my main exercise will be running.

Is there any advice that you could give me regarding training plans, how to prevent injuries, how frequent I should increase my distance, etc? Just any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks all of you!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you can run for 30 minutes continuously already I'd suggest a 5k-10k plan, which is about 6 weeks, followed by a 10K improvement plan for about 8 weeks.

That should position you for completion, and potentially in the 75-90 minute range.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you can run for 30 minutes continuously already I'd suggest a 5k-10k plan, which is about 6 weeks, followed by a 10K improvement plan for about 8 weeks.

That should position you for completion, and potentially in the 75-90 minute range.

Agree completely. There are lots of plans on the web that basically involve extending your running time, some involve periods of walking others just longer slower runs. Find one that suits your preferred style (my personal preference is the latter as once I walk I find it difficult to start running again but other people love the walking/ running plans). I'd advise not running 5 days a week but 3 times a week and some cross training (weights, cycling, swimming are all good) to give your body time to repair and don't be afraid to take a rest day if you need to. You'll be easily capable of a 10k by the end of Jan in less than 2hrs :)
  • jamesh5241
    Options
    Hi,

Pretty much what everyone else has said.

Rushing into a 10k without any prior training could lead to an injury which would put you off running completely.

Start really small, and work towards running up to 5k and then slowly increase by 1km every week and you'll be at 10k before you know it.

Listen to your body, if you're hurting in an area it's most likely a sign of overtraining. Also dont forget to eat more if you're running more!

Good luck!
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've just run 10K 3 months ago I couldn't run 30 secs so 4 months is plenty of time.

I sort of followed something similar to C25K but was running 5k by week 5.

I would suggest 2 short runs (20-30 mins) a week and then one long run I started by running 5k (the first time took me 37 mins) then added a km each week if you aren't comfortable adding that much just add 0.5km you have the time so you don't have to add 1km each week. Once you are running longer and further on your longer run you can increase your shorter runs.

I had only run 8k by my 10k race and I managed it in 1hr 9mins 52 secs which was about the time I was looking at. I'm going to start pace training now so that I can (hopefully) get my 10k time under 1hr.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've just run 10K 3 months ago I couldn't run 30 secs so 4 months is plenty of time.

I would suggest 2 short runs (20-30 mins) a week and then one long run I started by running 5k (the first time took me 37 mins) then added a km each week if you aren't comfortable adding that much just add 0.5km you have the time so you don't have to add 1km each week. Once you are running longer and further on your longer run you can increase your shorter runs.

I had only run 8k by my 10k race and I managed it in 1hr 9mins 52 secs which was about the time I was looking at. I'm going to start pace training now so that I can (hopefully) get my 10k time under 1hr.

Congrats on your improvement! Thanks for the really good advice. A question: how do you estimate how much distance you've run? There are very few long and straight streets around where I live, so I'm just wondering how to keep track of the distance.

Thanks again!
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Agree completely. There are lots of plans on the web that basically involve extending your running time, some involve periods of walking others just longer slower runs. Find one that suits your preferred style (my personal preference is the latter as once I walk I find it difficult to start running again but other people love the walking/ running plans). I'd advise not running 5 days a week but 3 times a week and some cross training (weights, cycling, swimming are all good) to give your body time to repair and don't be afraid to take a rest day if you need to. You'll be easily capable of a 10k by the end of Jan in less than 2hrs :)

Wow, that makes me very hopeful! Thanks so much for all of your advice. I'll do some searching on the net.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A question: how do you estimate how much distance you've run?

If you have a smartphone then download something like Endmondo, Runkeeper, Strava, Runtastic or MapMyFitness.

Personally I'd recommend on of the former three, as I don't like the latter two, but lots of people do seem to like them.

If not, and subject to your budget, a Garmin watch is your answer. The low end ones are pretty reasonably priced.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi and well done you.

As stated i would suggest training using one of the ones mentioned. Personally I use Runkeeper.

Best advice i can give is don't worry too much about your times, I see you're focused on the finish and thats great! Building strength and stamina is the best way. Fartlek and interval training work great for me. Also cycling has really improved my strides.

Oh and if you don't already... roll.. roll.. roll.. (foam roller)

Best of luck!!
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used the hal higdon 10k training plan for my first 10k.

run 3 times a week, 2 short and 1 long and gradually building up to a 6 miler the week before the race.

I've my second 10k this saturday and have been following a 10k improver plan which is 4 runs a week with 1 interval / speed session, 2 short runs and 1 long run.

also agree with using an app on your phone for distance although I splashed out on a GPS watch as one of my weight loss rewards.

good luck and remember to have fun! (i'll try to remember that bit on Saturday myself haha)
  • aneary1980
    Options

Congrats on your improvement! Thanks for the really good advice. A question: how do you estimate how much distance you've run? There are very few long and straight streets around where I live, so I'm just wondering how to keep track of the distance.

Thanks again!

I use runkeeper only because my housemate recommended it. I like it because you can set it to notify you at either a certain time period (mine is 5 minutes) or at a certain distance (mine is 1km) or both. So when you are running if you want to say run 6k, once you get to 3k you can turn around I run alone the Thames so it's great for me. :)

Good luck you will do this easily. :)
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Runners World SmartCoach.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My two biggest pieces of advice would be...

a) Don't try to go fast, work on building up endurance and run at a pace you can talk at without being out of breath (speed will just come the more you run)

b) Increase your distance each week by no more than 10% i.e.. if you run 8km one week, then the following week should increase to no more than 8.8km, 10km to 11km, 15km to 16.5km etc

Follow these rules and you'll be in a great position to improve your running, prepare for the race and avoid injury. When you run it is just as important to not overdo it as it is to be consistent in doing it.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh and in terms of tracking I use a Nike+ watch and at times the Nike app, or MapMyRun app.
    There are many websites where you can map a run to get an idea of how far you are running - if you're not too concerned about the data or you don't have a smart phone or want to buy a sports watch etc you can do this before (or after) your run and then you'll know the distance. If you time yourself then you'll be able to work out your pace too :-)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The big issue I see in getting ready for a 10k in January is the number of significant training distractions between 1 Oct and the race day. It's easy to use the holidays as excuses for not getting out and running if you're not careful. Find a Turkey Trot and run Thanksgiving ... it becomes a training morning that way. Incorporate your training into the Christmas through New Years period ... some places have a run that spans midnight so you can actually run in the new year.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

So I've finally managed to lose 2/3 of the weight I wanted to get rid of. To 'reward' myself I decided to sign up for a 10k. I'd appreciate any advice that I can get.

(I don't care about being the last one to cross the line, I just want to finish it. It'll be the first sport event I've ever participated in :laugh: )

Time from now to 10k: I plan to start training on Oct 1, so that gives me around 4 months (the race is on Jan 25, 2015).

Available time for training: At the very least, I could do 3 runs a week, and probably 5 runs a week at the most. I might also find time to do some body strength exercises (sit ups, push ups, etc) but my main exercise will be running.

Is there any advice that you could give me regarding training plans, how to prevent injuries, how frequent I should increase my distance, etc? Just any advice at all would be much appreciated.

As for training plans, Hal Higdon has pretty good beginner plans out there - www.halhigdon.com. Remember, training plans are not set in stone. Anything you find on the internet will not be tailored to you - they are cookie cutter guidelines, at best. Don't get caught up in the mindset of a missed day due to rest equaling failure.

Prevent injuries? Don't take on more than you can handle. I would never recommend signing up for a race BEFORE you know your body can handle the distance and/or associated training load. Sure, we're only talking a 10K, but for some people that's 1.5 hours of work. Took me a few months to be comfortable with the distance.

Increase your distance slowly. Ditch any notion of speedwork for this goal, and probably for the first year of your running adventures. Just concentrate on building your base of slow, conversationally-paced miles. Anyone who tells you to be doing speedwork at this point is a dumbass.

My recommendation would be to put in the work for the next 60 days and see where you stand, THEN sign up for the event, providing all systems are a go. Last thing you want is to get injured or something and have bought an expensive shirt.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The big issue I see in getting ready for a 10k in January is the number of significant training distractions between 1 Oct and the race day. It's easy to use the holidays as excuses for not getting out and running if you're not careful. Find a Turkey Trot and run Thanksgiving ... it becomes a training morning that way. Incorporate your training into the Christmas through New Years period ... some places have a run that spans midnight so you can actually run in the new year.

Perfect advice.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here so I don't have anything to add except that (a) I don't think it will take you two hours and think you will surprise yourself when you do it! but (b) check that the race you're doing doesn't have a cut-off time of e.g. 90 minutes.
  • aneary1980
    Options
    Hi all,

As for training plans, Hal Higdon has pretty good beginner plans out there - www.halhigdon.com. Remember, training plans are not set in stone. Anything you find on the internet will not be tailored to you - they are cookie cutter guidelines, at best. Don't get caught up in the mindset of a missed day due to rest equaling failure.

Prevent injuries? Don't take on more than you can handle. I would never recommend signing up for a race BEFORE you know your body can handle the distance and/or associated training load. Sure, we're only talking a 10K, but for some people that's 1.5 hours of work. Took me a few months to be comfortable with the distance.

Increase your distance slowly. Ditch any notion of speedwork for this goal, and probably for the first year of your running adventures. Just concentrate on building your base of slow, conversationally-paced miles. Anyone who tells you to be doing speedwork at this point is a dumbass.

My recommendation would be to put in the work for the next 60 days and see where you stand, THEN sign up for the event, providing all systems are a go. Last thing you want is to get injured or something and have bought an expensive shirt.

I disagree with your opinion on not signing up before you know if you can run it, if the OP is anything like me then she needs to sign up to something to give you the extra motivation.

I have lost 2st of the 6st I need to lose so I'm carrying lots of extra weight, I was extremely unfit, I'm 34 so not young anymore and managed to train for the 10k from nothing to 10k in 3 months. The OP has 4 months and can already run 30 minutes which probably means she can already run around th 5k mark so 10k isn't that much of push in 4 months.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Signing up for something is really good motivation. I did the Couch 2 5k just for exercise, but then I got talked into a 10k and entered that without knowing what to expect and I got hooked on distance running. In terms of training I did three runs of 5k to start with per week, then added 1km to one session per week, so after 5 weeks you can do the distance. If you stick at it you will be able to do that no problem.
    You might find training more fun if you join a club - most will be happy to have new faces around, and there is usually a mix of abilities.